T4 2.5TDI bi-vnt-turbo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 2.5TDI bi-vnt-turbo
    Posted: 05 Apr 12 at 17:10
since shadowblokey not been on here since 2010 i think you are.....
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

knobstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 12 at 14:59
Am I the only one who wants to know what happened next with this uber van?!
knobstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 11 at 19:23
Surely there must be an update by now for what is one of my fave builds on the web?! Wink

Matt
knobstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 10 at 11:34
What's the latest on this, dude?  Has garage season started yet in Suomi?!

Matt
Jay@G.K View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay@G.K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 10 at 19:28
excellent read, job well done fella
Regards,
Jay

knobstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 10 at 21:05
Any progress over summer, dude?
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 10 at 12:22
Originally posted by Monza Monza wrote:

Awesome. Could have just put something daft in it from the off. always wondered why Diseasels run out of puff at 4k :)

Diesel is a slow burning fuel compared to petrol, it has a higher calorific value but longer burn time, this means that at high revs there isn't enough time to burn the fuel fully, meaning the economy and efficiency drops a lot, hence the engines are designed to run at lower revs where there is the time to get the full burn and best efficiency.

One way of changing this is adding a catalyst - for example adding LPG into the system.  a squirt of gas can help the speed of burn and make sure that all is burnt, so at higher revs this aids the efficiency meaning you get more power at higher revs.

As shadow maker says, most diesels are made for efficient driving in normal conditions, but you can get some serious power from them too - Audi/Peugeot Le-Mans cars for example...
shadowmaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 10 at 10:00
Originally posted by Monza Monza wrote:

always wondered why Diseasels run out of puff at 4k :)

Every day use diesel engines are targetted for economy and emissions from the factory. I know there are direct injection competition engines ($$$$$) which make their max power around 7000rpm. So I know my 6000rpm target is possible, but I don't know yet if my budget is enough for it... I do have a budget you know...Smile
VW T4 2.5TDI 370hp, 750Nm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSTslJf7Z4
Monza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 10 at 01:22
Awesome. Could have just put something daft in it from the off. always wondered why Diseasels run out of puff at 4k :)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 10 at 11:55
Originally posted by knobstar knobstar wrote:

Any luck this month finding time for it dude? Smile

Nope.Cry  Actually I have troubles to get all the special parts for the engine ATM and there's no point to do anything before I get those. Maybe I could get the CF hood and suspension done, but I have been drowning under workload. There's no way my van is going to run this summer...Angry

On the other hand I have been focusing on my two bike projects and my gasser/VNT project, which can be running this summer. <fingers crossed>
knobstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 10 at 08:05
Any luck this month finding time for it dude? Smile

Edited by knobstar - 28 Apr 10 at 08:05
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 10 at 18:07
Sadly not really. Been really busy with work/family...Dead

Have been trying to get some parts for the engine and suspension, but that's all... There's so many things that needs to be done and maybe I'm too picky...
knobstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 10 at 10:47
Hey man,

Have you managed to squeeze in any work on your beast in the last month?

Here's hoping Wink

Matt
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 10 at 14:27
Originally posted by famous phil famous phil wrote:

Hi, would you recommend a particular make of cam just for a mild upgrade ?,
I've just bought a new VW cam but thought the one fitted to the Volvo might have been better for a mild power increase

Volvo and VW cams are identical. For daily driver 260/260 and 9,6mm lift is very good upgrade. About 10% power increase through rev range, only barely noticeable lag down low. With it 5000rpm is also possible.

I can get you one made, but there are many other options too. 99% of 1.9TDIs uses the same specs when upgraded.

There are other, more powerful specs too, but those are not good for road use. I'm also going to test new designs later when my engine is running.
famous phil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 10 at 10:05
Hi, would you recommend a particular make of cam just for a mild upgrade ?,
I've just bought a new VW cam but thought the one fitted to the Volvo might have been better for a mild power increase

Prototype automotive engineering design and development
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 10 at 06:29

Hi, very nice , I've just been rebuilding a 2.5tdi and thought the valves were a bit on the small size - and if was to fit larger ones like you say would mean relocating them ,

Regards Phil

No need to relocate valves with +2/+2mm.

Cam upgrade makes a nice improvement also.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 10 at 22:21
Hi, very nice , I've just been rebuilding a 2.5tdi and thought the valves were a bit on the small size - and if was to fit larger ones like you say would mean relocating them ,

Regards Phil
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 10 at 05:47

Absolutly brilliant great work ,few questions if you dont mind ,, what diametre are the evo valves ,and will you be fitting steel inserts between the seats ,nice work on the crankshaft any mods for the conrods ,,,

I was using +2/+2mm valves with evo2 head and now using +4/+4mm valves with evo3. This also means relocating valves as otherwise they would hit the bore wall. New bigger seats of course, no inserts.

Conrods are custom made I-type and over 100g lighter than originals. Those are also 2mm longer. Pins are made from titanium and are ~80g lighter + I'm shaving some 20g out of those pistons too.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 10 at 23:09
Absolutly brilliant great work ,few questions if you dont mind ,, what diametre are the evo valves ,and will you be fitting steel inserts between the seats ,nice work on the crankshaft any mods for the conrods ,,,
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 10 at 22:07
Originally posted by knobstar knobstar wrote:

Wow - you learn something every day!  I really didn't think it was possible!

Not that I don't believe you, not for one second, but do you have a link to any info on said DI racing engine?  Amazing stuff Smile

That's why I'm so interested with diesel engines - love to learn something new every day...

No links. Sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>