The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

westy 2.4d 1994 dead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote douglas wallace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: westy 2.4d 1994 dead
    Posted: 26 Dec 08 at 10:25
Cry Driving to durdle door on christmas day for camper trip, filled up on m3 ,
3 miles later engine splutters and dies very suddenly!
Ist thought was put petrol in but was shure not the case, called aa out, tendered out breakdown came out he thinks petrol not the case, it will turn over no power though cant even move it and lots of white smoke, want go anywhere, except on truck back to london!!
He thought it might be the diesel timing belt or the diesel pump ?

Would it even start if it was petrol?
If it is the pump and is expensive could i replace engine with a 2.5tdi, is it viable or a nonsense?

ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 08 at 11:56
 when someone *ahem* put petrol in an old pug diesel of mine , it cut out a few miles after (takes a small amount of time to use diesel in lines/filter before petrol is drawn thr) also smoked white like a bar-steward.
    Have you taken the filter off and had a sniff/look/stuck a match to it?

douglas wallace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote douglas wallace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 08 at 14:32
thanks for swift reply,

no not yet will check, do you think it would have started up again, i mean it turned over but with no power, must have had about 1/10 diesel in before filled up, breakdown thought so first when smelled the cap then thought looking at the smoke it was timing or pump, i can remember putting the diesel in but i suppose everyone would!!!!
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 08 at 15:45

Would it even start if it was petrol?
If it is the pump and is expensive could i replace engine with a 2.5tdi, is it viable or a nonsense?

[/QUOTE]

it would have started after filling up because of the diesel still in the filter, pump etc, i very much dought that it would run let alone start after the petrol had gone through the fuel system. 
I once put £10 worth of petrol in my van before i realised what i was doing so i filled it with diesel and drove it as normal and it was fine.
I swapped the 2.4 engine for a 2.5tdi in my t4 no problem, engine mountings, gearbox is all identical but you wont be able to use the 2.5 pump without changing the ecu,loom and lots of other stuff, i ended up using the 2.4 pump and the van ran ok but was,nt really any more powerful than the 2.4 engine.
Still got the 2.4 pump if you get stuck.   
 Post Reply Post Reply