The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuning my t4 1.9td

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karl44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuning my t4 1.9td
    Posted: 09 Dec 08 at 22:00
Right I should be picking up my first t4 this weekend and I want to know how to get a few more bhp and torque out of it. I already know the 2.5 is the one to get but that's not an option.
I have tuned jap turbo cars in the past so I've got a pretty good idea on what to do, more boost and fuel etc.
What I would like to know is exactly what parts I need and what extra power I can expect.
I have already done some research and I have been told that the 1.9 doesn't have an ecu so u have to up the fueling manually, something about changing the fuel pump?
Do I just put a bleed valve/boost controller on and how will I know if the fuel air mix is right?
I think that will do for now.
Cheers karl
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 08 at 22:43
SyncroSpares UK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 08 at 10:22
to be honest what its gonna cost you to cheer up a crappy 1.9td is gonna be way past the cost of a 2.5tdi and still not as fast,and you had better have a spare couple of engines cause there not that great so when you start increasing the stress they will break,best to leave it alone get a 2.5 then give it some,cj.
karl44 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karl44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 08 at 17:16
like I said I have the van now so getting another one is not an option. I don't need it to be mega fast, Ive got a 350bhp 200sx for that. It's just for kitesurfing around the country so just wanted to give it a bit more power to make it more driver friendly.
onkobonko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onkobonko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 08 at 19:05
Check this post out

Edited by Steve B - 10 Dec 08 at 19:07
'99 Caravelle 2.5Tdi. Pheaton winter rims. Day van conversion.
karl44 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karl44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 08 at 22:11
right I have read some really usefull links (thanks guys). All seems straight forward cheap and easy. Just a couple of questions though, do I need to change my fuel pump or get the top of another one? And the boost pin mentioned? What is it?
Cheers guys another good forum.
team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 08 at 13:47
theres quite a few threads on tuning the abl engine on the t4forum site but i think you will have to pay a tenner to view the sections where they are(well worth it tho, and theres lots of other info aswell) but basicaly up the max fuel screw then shorten the turbo actuator arm to up the boost presure, theres an easy guide to change the 5th gear ratio aswell
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
karl44 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karl44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 08 at 21:38
Is there a problem with running out of gears then?
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 08 at 21:59
Originally posted by team french team french wrote:

theres quite a few threads on tuning the abl engine on the t4forum site but i think you will have to pay a tenner to view the sections where they are(well worth it tho, and theres lots of other info aswell) but basicaly up the max fuel screw then shorten the turbo actuator arm to up the boost presure, theres an easy guide to change the 5th gear ratio aswell

All available for free on the internet but costs a tenner elsewhere................
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 08 at 22:25
Originally posted by Steve B Steve B wrote:

All available for free on the internet but costs a tenner elsewhere................

i dont make the rules up, im happy with paying a tenner a year and will again when its time to renew. im not forcing any one, just trying to give what i consider good advise

anyway,

ive not tweeked my abl and still find it a little low geared especialy on the motorway. the 1.9td caravelles had a slightly higher 5th to the panel vans for "crusing" but the 5th gears from golfs(and others) can be used to make it a little more economical and relaxed at higher speeds.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 08 at 22:35
Bet you're even happier to get info on here though for free....Wink
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 08 at 22:50
Originally posted by Steve B Steve B wrote:

Bet you're even happier to get info on here though for free....Wink

im on the t4forum for my t4, here for my lt
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 08 at 22:56
Originally posted by team french team french wrote:

im on the t4forum for my t4

Hope it's worth it?

Just don't agree with being charged for information supplied by (supposed)non profit making VW websites.
 Post Reply Post Reply