The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westfalia Florida Draining the hot water tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daz2vans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westfalia Florida Draining the hot water tank
    Posted: 26 Nov 08 at 13:00

I have recently purchesd a 1990 Westy Florida and i was wondering if i have to drain the hot water tank that's in the roof to stop it from freezing over winter and if I do where might be the drain plug? Thanks in advance Daz

caveman_dick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman_dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 08 at 15:05
Mines not in my roof, but I've never drained mine. Does it have insulation? If so, I would think that should stop it from freezing unless your planning a trip to Siberia...
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 08 at 14:11
According to the manual ,if there's a risk of frost then yes

http://s136500617.websitehome.co.uk/gipsy/trumatic-e/trumatic-b0.pdf
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

daz2vans View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daz2vans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 08 at 09:13
Thanks Mark
Water now drained for the winter.
DazSmile
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 08 at 09:30
Originally posted by daz2vans daz2vans wrote:

Thanks Mark
Water now drained for the winter.
DazSmile

LOLI'm still trying to get mine to fill up , only had it 2 days Tongue

miserable fooker

andy7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 08 at 13:07
I've got the same van as you - hadn't thought of draining it - and wouldn;t want to because it's in fairly regular use.  I did notice when fixing leaks in the taps that the whole system seems to be interconnected so that if you pull a hose out somewhere the hot water tank always empties, then when you turn any tap on the pump tries to fill the hot tank again.

So are you  draining the whole system, or did you find a way to isolate the hot water tank?

thanks
Andy
'90 Westfalia Florida (LT 28 2.4td)
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 08 at 14:54
Andy
If you look under the rear rock and roll bed , there's the water tank and the batteries ? yes?
on the rhs as your looking into the area there should be a valve with a red level on it if you put that into the 'up' position and i think turn on the hot tap then this should drain the hot water tank, but still lets you use the cold ?

miserable fooker

andy7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 07:34
nice one - thanks
'90 Westfalia Florida (LT 28 2.4td)
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 07:44
What Rockradio has done is most helpful

http://www.rabbitsonthemoon.com/lt

well done and thank you so much Clap

miserable fooker

Post Reply Post Reply