The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LPG Mixer for carb engines...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman_dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LPG Mixer for carb engines...
    Posted: 24 Nov 08 at 18:24
Just found this on fleeBay, look like it might be quite good alternative to a lambda setup!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160295837884&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:uk

Also does anyone have their tank slung from below? Mines under my rear bench seat atm and takes up a load of storage space that could be better used!!
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 08 at 22:49
Hi, interesting gadget - I'm in the process of aquiring an LT31 with a 2.4 petrol engine and was considering an LPG conversion.

Regarding the underslung tank, my daily driver is a Land Cruiser Amazon petrol (4.5 litre, 15mpg!!!) which I had LPG converted 7 years ago. It has an underslung tank at the rear where the spare was. With an LT, assuming the petrol tank is in the normal place at the rear, there seems to be plenty of room down the sides - particularly if you go for a longer, slimmer tank. You have to be concious of ground clearance, I think there are minimum requirements in the LPG installer regs - Andy T may know more about this (or will do soon). I know some of the Range Rover guys fit twin "torpedo" tanks, one on either side of the chassis rails, and have a tee piece for the filler and feed pipes. I'd go for the biggest capacity tank(s) you can fit - gives a better range and the opportunity to fill up at the cheaper locations (I use www.petrolprices.com to source best prices)

One other comment I'd make from my own experience of underslung tanks is that you need to make sure the fixings are sturdy - the normal steel straps used for boot installations will rot through in just a few years - you can get stainless ones. My tank hangs on a cradle made of 1 1/2" angle iron hung on M12 threaded rods from the chassis. If possible, I would consider some kind of cover to keep the worst of the weather/filth off the tank and fixings - but if you do it has to be vented.

Hope this helps - sorry to ramble on!
Rgds,
Peter.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 08 at 01:05
Wouldn't think there are problems with an underslung tank on an LT, for safety reasons a clearance of 250mm between the ground and bottom of suspension travel.

Any reputable supplier will only sell straps which meet the appropriate safety standards.
The device mentioned appears to be an add on to BRC installations, I can't comment on the cost of a basic installation, but I would say that whilst BRC are insurance approved I don't know about the device.

Typical cost for an LPG conversion for an LT is around £1200 (open loop system - basic cos its got a carb).
Price increases are governed by the EU (LPG is green) not the robbing buggers in government, so should stay around 50p a litre for quite some time.

On the issue of safety, my petrol lines were leaking (rotted pipe) when I bought the van and it was an accident waiting to happen. LPG systems have a safety valve to prevent leaks and are far more substantial than a tin petrol tank.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

caveman_dick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman_dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 08 at 11:36
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

On the issue of safety, my petrol lines were leaking (rotted pipe) when I bought the van and it was an accident waiting to happen. LPG systems have a safety valve to prevent leaks and are far more substantial than a tin petrol tank.

Mine we're too, I think at one point it was so bad I must've been getting around 10mpg!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply