The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to tell if i have Power steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT35-Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to tell if i have Power steering
    Posted: 22 Nov 08 at 19:24
I've always thought i never had power steering on my van cos its always been a pig to turn the wheel but i made a start removing the engine today and on the bottom of the passenger side of the engine i saw what i thought was a power steering pump.
What do you guys think it could of been??? If it is a power steering pump it certainly doesn't work!
The van is a 95 LT35 Luton van with the ACT engine.

Craig.
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 08 at 20:34
pas pump mounts on the passenger side of engine on the block just below the head .It will have 2 pipes from it and you will have a top up bottle for the oil behind the grill next to ns headlanp steering box also has 2 pipes 2 it behind the os headlamp.

Mike
LT35-Craig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT35-Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 08 at 09:08
Sounds like what i have. Will take a better look in a while when i get the engine out.

Craig.
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 09:59
I'd have thought if it's a 95 it would have power steering, as i think all the facelift models did (mine certainly does).
"LT Massive"
LT35-Craig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT35-Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 22:32
I dragged the engine out today and it sure does have power steering. My question is why is it not working?? I've had the van 2 years now and i'm almost certain its never worked. I checked the fluid and its full and the pulley on the pump turn with no resistance.

Craig
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 08 at 00:09
Try bleeding the system, if nothing comes out then there might be an internal problem.
Would have expected some resistance when the pulley is turned.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Post Reply Post Reply