The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

paint prep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: paint prep
    Posted: 14 Nov 08 at 16:18
Hi All
prepping for paint looking for a little compress to run sanders
the camper is red and I will be paint is red.Stripping back the old paint
would is the best thing to use and how far do you go and primer witch one
what type to use well if someone can help out with this it would be a great help
           thanks surfzone.

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 08 at 14:48
A small compressor isn't going to run a sander more than 2" diameter because of the throughtput or cfm. My 25L only does 6cfm whereas a sander needs closer to 9cfm.
Far better to invest in a good electric sander such as my milwaukee.

Which ever way you go check for vibration, must be less than 4m/s otherwise you will end up with numb fingers after a few minutes.

As for stripping back:-

Where there's rust, go back to bare metal and treat accordingly (I use Dinitrol), apply filler/primer and then a top coat of whatever colour you are going to use. Many primers are porous and will allow water through.
If the top coat doesn't react with the existing paint then the rest is easy.

Just flatten it down with wet and dry, wash thorughly to remove dust etc and paint.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 12:36
I agree with Andy Ive got a 25ltr tank on my comp but even with 9cfm my DA runs out in mins Get an electic DA and you can halve the time itl take
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 23:15
i just wiped mine with some sandpaper then rollered red-oxide all over it... proper profesional like LOL

ghetto-look vans rock!
"LT Massive"
surfzone View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 14:51
Hi All
I had the LT for over a year in Feb    I,m not look for showroom finish just a good clenn camper to away and do some vw show in.
I have 5lite of rustoleum red but if I buy a comp there is a lot more job I can use it on
I will look on machine mart I mit pop down portmouths tomorrow and have a good look at the comp 
 thanks for all the information I will take photos of the work
                              surfzone  
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 15:00
it took about 3.5l out of a 5l can to roller mine (not including high top)... just in case you need an idea of coverage.
"LT Massive"
mikebdomain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 15:01

I have to agree about not bothering with the compressor.

I have a 80 Litre compressor and I still reverted to using elbow grease and an electrical sander - as for taking rust spots down to bare metal I found a wire brush attachment on the angle grinder was a great help (spend the money and get a twisted wire one - they last 100 times longer than the cheaper versions).

The biggest problem you may have is the top coat on existing paint work and making sure the new paint doesn't react - I tested a few paints on unseen areas (under the bumpers) before settling on Halfords car paints, then I only used their stuff including primer, hi-build primer, under coat, top coat and then laquar (couldn’t be doing with cleaning up the air gun every time)

1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 15:15
I've sprayed cars in the past with various degrees of success, and one problem that you don't have with a roller is the spray getting blown around on the wind.
It could easily end up on neighbours cars, house windows etc.

A good finish can be difficult to achieve for the same reason, and in any event takes a fair amount of practise.

Going to do my van next year with rustoleum but using a roller/brush.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 15:18
Never tried rollering... Never given it a thought
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 15:22
Neither had I until I found out that its what they use for steam engines, narrow boats etc and some of them are stunning.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 15:27
true - I might give a go on my next project - if I ever finish this one...
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
isup View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 17:21
Originally posted by surfzone surfzone wrote:

I have 5lite of rustoleum red

is rustoleum a make of paint? ill be lookin for paint soon too
1988 LT31 2.4 Turbo Diesel- slow work in progress --Eire
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 17:33
Yup it is, made in Holland I think.
Reckon it would cost about £100 to paint an LT, cheaper if you can get it on fleabay etc.

thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 19:12
Andy let me know when your painting and I,ll come and spray it for you least I can do for you mate
surfzone View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 08 at 20:42

Hi All

please read this link this where I got all my information from about rolling my camper
it is long but it will give you a link to where to get the paint from and color charts

thanks surfzone
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 08 at 09:07
WOW - the guy on there achieved a very reasonable job... as good as any spray job I have done with 100 times less work... Hmmm I shall definatly be looking at rollering my next project
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
surfzone View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 08 at 13:14
Hi All
Got back from machine mart yesterday post man left a card missed deliver pop up today
dingo two bottles of VACTAN this stuff is blooded good.
Had a chat to a army engineer they use it on all there vehicles so if it good for them
it will do for me, you must clean the area for loose parts and us gloves turn shin black
and it a b****hed to get off.
Its £19.00 for liter on ebay look for chemical needs they sell it going to try it tomorrow will keep you update.
                                        thanks surfzone
 Post Reply Post Reply