The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caravelle under body air system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moojw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caravelle under body air system
    Posted: 04 Nov 08 at 20:43
Hi there, I'm a newbie here and have a question about an air system under my C,reg (85) Caravelle. I have what looks like a heating system running from front to rear. See pic... below, curtesy of family chappy

What I would like to know is, has anyone got any information on how these work? controls etc

Thanks

Edited by moojw - 11 Nov 08 at 15:20
diesel dunk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diesel dunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 08 at 22:55
link didn't work for me
'81 single cab pickup... bright orange.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 08 at 23:00
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
moojw View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moojw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 08 at 23:08
the van used to be a minibus I've been told

Could have been some kind of heating system for that, but still havent worked out how it works

Any ideas people??? Confused
Up for grabs - Chrome table legs x2
Wanted - Next weeks lotter numbers for ongoing T3 project
wifit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wifit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 08 at 20:55
are those pictures of vents,exhausts parts for night heaters ,anyone?
and then some
lambretta lee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 08 at 21:16
mate that "looks" the same as mine, do you have a vent under the drivers seat in the way of a hole with a flap in (ooh er) and vents to the rear from the gangway area in the middle of the van?if yes its a vw fitted petrol heater, i have one fitted on my berlin imported van, apparently they are not common to find.... or i could be completely wrong
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 08 at 21:19
also mine is a lhd caravelle gl
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 08 at 21:39
Deffo looks like a petrol/diesel type heater
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 08 at 21:51
mine also has a green illuminated switch(when turned) under the steering wheel which controls the heat setting......
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 08 at 15:26
I also have this same heater on my diesel LHD ex mini bus.
I just found out by chance that if I push in the knob and rotate clockwise that it winds up a clockwork timer that allows the heater to work without ignition on until the spring unwinds. In this mode the heater fan is at about half speed.
The heater looks like this.

Photo sorced off the net.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 09 at 17:49
This is the diagram of our type of ebespacher, not sure what the model number is though.
If any one can shed some light on this please do!

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
moojw View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moojw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 09 at 17:40
Hi there, I have a vent under the passenger seat, mines a RHD, and yes I do have the vents in the middle also, it sounds like I have the same thing.  Where are the controls on your van?
I don't seem to have any extra controls other than the normal slide controls

Edited by moojw - 02 Jan 09 at 17:49
moojw View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moojw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 09 at 17:47
I think I may be missing the heater controls, I've discovered some wires and conection blocks under the dash/steering.
It would be great to have this working in this weather, but investigating anything outside at the moment is madness LOL

Edited by moojw - 02 Jan 09 at 17:49
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 09 at 18:48
Hi The only control is the green turn knob on the dash, on the lhd van it is near to the ingition switch. The switch is about the same size as a 2p coin, but the back of the switch (the part behind the dash) is as big as a cigarette packet. There is also a silver control box tucked under the dash with loads of wires going to it.
The vent which comes out under my drivers seat base has a flap in it which can be turned by hand to allow/stop air flow. The vent between the seats is permanently open.
My heater had been working fine up until last week when if failed to ignite.
I did some homework on the subject and decided to check the glow plug.
When I connect it to a battery it gets warm (but I think that it should glow red hot)
I tracked down the part number and have ordered a new one.
My local eberspacher supplier change this part every 2 years.
I hope this helps.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 09 at 20:52
evening all, i   tried mine today by pushing the switch in and turning it, it does click and self time as you suggested, i have never switched it on without the engine running before but it worked perfectly, my only concern now is on the cold icy mornings that it is turned on it with the engine off it  will kill the battery in no time and starting will be a no go, i only have 1 battery fitted to my van , is it worth fitting another and linking them via a split charger?? mine is a petrol version and the whole heater assembly is covered under the van

Edited by lambretta lee - 02 Jan 09 at 20:54
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 09 at 11:09
With the heater in this clock work timmer mode it only runs at half speed, conserving power. My van is a diesel and I have had the heater on for over an hour with no starting issues. If your battery is in good order you should be able to put your heater on, make a cup of tea and then return to a nice warm van on these cold mornings.
Good luck!

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 09 at 17:07
i will give it a go mate, mine seemed to run at its normal speed, will try it.... when i dont need to rush off anywhere Big smile
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 09 at 18:50
Found this on german ebay. The dash heater control knob.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 09 at 19:27
very interesting, whats the item no... pm if you wish ... or not if its what your afterSmile , i have owned a T3/t3 since 1990 and have never seen one of these heaters fitted in a van before, until buying ours  .... i wonder how rare they are or was it a common fitment in Germany
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 09 at 19:36
After more resurch. I think that the model number of this heater is BA-6 for petrol and DA-6 for diesel.
Put eberspacher into german ebay for the switch. I don't need this part, just saw that it was the same switch as in my van.
More info on the green switch. when the swithc is in clockwork mode, you can still turn the heater off, but the ticking sound continues until the spring has fully unwound.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>