The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

flashing oil warning light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flashing oil warning light
    Posted: 01 Nov 08 at 17:57
started flashing when i started it up the battery light stayed on too (but a new alternater sorted that)........was all fine when i parked it up........still plenty of oil pumping up to the top end of the engine...........keeps flashing when you unplug from the pressure sensor (pressuming the sensor is the one by the oil filter)...........its a 1.9 td abl engine btw........

any info appreciated.......

thanks in advance.......Smile
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
ray356 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 09:09
hi dude you have 2 sensors the other is on the right hand side of the head, check this one, i had they same thing on mine
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 08 at 09:31
cheers
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 08:53
Hi just seen this post?
Wonder if I have the same problem? Mines a 1.9Td (1998) 77K miles
Intermittent problem just started to happen - on motorway -the oil and charging light came on for a few seconds then off again - did'nt notice any change in the engine or electrics? This has happend again yesterday ?

Do you think its a loose connection somewhere or the belt is slipping (loose?)

Many thanks

Stan

Stan

T4 1998 SWB Panel van 1.9TD ABL engine
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 10:22
thats wot happend to mine..............flashed on and off a few times then the battery light came on constant and the oil light started to flash.........new alternator sorted the battery light out but the oi light is still flashing.............not had chance to look at it yet.........wil keep you posted when i get to sort it or let me know if you get sorted..........

cheers
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 12:48
Thanks - I thought it may be the alternator - but its charging fine - when you have the headlights on it does'nt glow and if you let it idel you woudl expect it to dim but its ok (well so farCry  )

So its got to be a loose cable somewhere or maybe a fan belt? Not had a chance to look as its dark by the time I get home from work!

Please let me know how you get on? - I wonder if its worth doing a dealer special and just unplugging and replugging all the sensors to ensure clean contacts etc (they charge a bleedin fortune for that game!) Angry 
Stan

Fat boy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 12:58
happened on my t3 it was just the high pressure oil light cable had been cut by the fan belt...took 5 mins to fix with a swiss army knife. Im sure t4s are more advanced.

Fat Boy

YOU CANT POLISH A TURD
stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 13:17
Cool - thanks Smile- will try to have a look in the daylight - but problem is the only manual I have is that pants only manual you get from Amazon! The damn hand drawn pictures are rubbish for trying to identify components (Also more used to Aircooled and petrol but not diesel engines so uphill learning curve?) 
Stan

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 15:24
ok sorted mine..............the alternator on mine has  three cables goin to it...........a big one secured by a nut and then then two other single small cables that each plug in..........it was the bottom one that wasn,t clipped home correctly.............hey presto no more the flashy oil light............
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 08:10
Great news thanks! Will check that out on mine.

- I looked though my manual last night - it seem the alternator  is right at the back and bottom of the engine! (joy!)

Sounds like VW up to their old tricks - I remember on the Beetle Starter motor they have a puny wire thats quite key to the thing working and its just a spade connector !!

Duff question but where are the oil pressure switches on the engine - sorry the manual really is pants for identifying stuff like this? Tells you about the 2x types of switch but not where they are located?

Stan

ray356 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 08 at 18:51
Originally posted by stanski stanski wrote:

Great news thanks! Will check that out on mine.

- I looked though my manual last night - it seem the alternator  is right at the back and bottom of the engine! (joy!)

Sounds like VW up to their old tricks - I remember on the Beetle Starter motor they have a puny wire thats quite key to the thing working and its just a spade connector !!

Duff question but where are the oil pressure switches on the engine - sorry the manual really is pants for identifying stuff like this? Tells you about the 2x types of switch but not where they are located?

if its a 19 there is one on the oil filter housing and one on the right hand side of the head as your looking at it
northern classic and campers, unit 16 river view ind est. dodsworth street. darlington. co. durham. dl1 2ng. 07703514488
stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 08 at 16:27
Thanks for that Wink - I spied the one you mentioned on the block - did'nt know where the other was - will try to have a look tonight ! Checked the Spade connector underneath the cover and it was mint clean - so thats good - lets hope its just the other or the contacts on the Alternator and nothing more expensive than that! Cry
Stan

ray356 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 08 at 19:20
the switches do go m8, i changed mine a few time on the filter and was still the same, then fitted a new pump and it was the same, then tried the one in the head and all is well, the switches are about £6 to £10 from any motor factors £20+ from VW dealer, if the oil level is right and the switches don't make a difference then it could be your pump, with any luck it wont be that, the switches are the easy thing to check and not a lot of money, oh they are coloured as well make sure they are the right ones
northern classic and campers, unit 16 river view ind est. dodsworth street. darlington. co. durham. dl1 2ng. 07703514488
House View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 08 at 12:15
Just bought my first T4 And the oilpressure warning light is flashing and i got that annoying beeping going on. Have changed the sensors on front of engine, done oil and filter change and had the oil pressure tested on a rolling road which is apparently fine. but still the beeping comes on and off at random times. can anybody help??? don't think i can afford a oil pump change are there any electrical hints or tips????
stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 08 at 16:35
Hi - got it serviced - runs so sweets after just an oil  and filter change (well as sweet as a diesel can sound anyway!! LOL ) Garage had a look no loose connections and they say the engine is fine and pressure is fine? No lights or anything but then last night - both lights came on - the alternator was glowing a bit and the lights dimmed slightly in the instrument cluster? So I switched down to side lights from full lights and no change - then switched back up and after a second or so the lights both went out - the cluster brightened a little no more lights rest of trip? Revving engine does'nt make any difference - so its got to be a lose connection? I am inclinded to think its the Alternator contacts , or recifying circuit?

Funny you should mention beeps - mine has stopped beeping when you remove the key at switch off (immobilser thing I guess) since I fitted a new radio to it? Have I  pulled a wire somewhere I wonder?

The quest continues - thanks for the advice on the switches - for what they cost its got to be worth doing?
Stan

House View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 08 at 17:07
Hey whars this about switches?? Where would i find these or are you talking about the sensors on the block?
ray356 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 08 at 19:54
Originally posted by House House wrote:

Hey whars this about switches?? Where would i find these or are you talking about the sensors on the block?
there is one on top of the oil filter housing, and one on the right hand side as your looking at the engine on the head
daz2vans View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daz2vans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 08 at 19:06
flashing oil light on a 1998 t4 1.9 TD can anyone give me an explination on why if the two thin wires on the alternator get disconnected the oil light starts flashing ?
the two wires are the signal wire and the rev counter wire.
We changed the the oil switches and the oil pump and it all came down to a corroded wire on the alternator.
I would suggest the first thing anyone tries when there oil light starts flashing i would check the alternator wires first.
Daz
ray356 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 08 at 19:37
must be something to do with the ecu, the two thin wires are energizer going to the alternator and on that goes to the led for the charge light, on pre 96 (before ecu and transponders)
stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 08 at 08:09
Originally posted by daz2vans daz2vans wrote:

flashing oil light on a 1998 t4 1.9 TD can anyone give me an explination on why if the two thin wires on the alternator get disconnected the oil light starts flashing ?
the two wires are the signal wire and the rev counter wire.
We changed the the oil switches and the oil pump and it all came down to a corroded wire on the alternator.
I would suggest the first thing anyone tries when there oil light starts flashing i would check the alternator wires first.
Daz

I agree Daz - thats what I will be doing - taking the alternator out -check brushes and all contacts ? Funny seems to be working fine at the mo - no flashing lights in a week - and the headlights seem brighter also but you just know it will come back when least expected! Cry
Stan

Post Reply Post Reply