The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst trip taken, the tech qs begin!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: First trip taken, the tech qs begin!
    Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 15:10
Ok, just been on our first trip in the big blue 'Krusty Wagen'.
We went up and down some serious hills in very dodgy crosswinds (it's a high-top) for about 480 miles for £97 worth of fuel. It's a 1988 2.4 6cyl diesel engine, no turbo.
Pulled like a steam engine and burned little or no oil. Oil pressure gauge stayed above 90 psi when we were driving.

So... a few queries, mostly for the camper crew.

1. The high-top has a leak along a join/seam over the cabin where it starts to rise toward the back to provide some aerodynamic cover for the rack on the rear of the roof. Any idea how best to fix this?

2. We had annoying sporadic problems with the fridge (Electrolux rm 4206), heater (Propex compact 1600) and water heater. All worked (on the gas) at one time or another but they would not reliably ignite at all times or reliably stay working when lit. Could strong wind/rain blowing in the vents give rise to ignition problems? Gas pressure? (supply is propane and there was no difficulty with the 4 ring gas hob). Any suggestions?

3. The Zig unit switching is a bit of a mystery, anyone got any links to explain how a Zig works? (I suspect a previous owner may have done a bit of custom fiddling with it).

4. I'm sure the leisure battery wasn't charging up to its full potential. Is it possible to get a charger for these, or should it charge up fully (via the zig?) if I plug the campsite connector into the house mains?

5. While driving along, the battery indicator light would very occasionally flicker on and off. Faulty earth? Faulty alternator?

6. The washer doesn't seem to work on the wiper switch... it's a click towards you, right? (And upwards for the wipers, which work fine). The fuses all seem ok.

7. There's been a curious mod job done by a previous owner... a breather pipe from the engine has been vented out underneath rather than to the breather box where the inlet is closed with a cork... any thoughts on why this would have been done?

8. We need exterior window seals for the passenger door, any pointers to sources/costs?

I'm not going to number this one because it's so embarassing... where is the top up for radiator water? Does the whole engine cover have to come off to locate it?Ouch
1988 LT35 6cylDiesel 5spd HiTop Camper - needs tlc, spare bits, and an understanding mechanic...
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 16:18
"6. The washer doesn't seem to work on the wiper switch... it's a click towards you, right? (And upwards for the wipers, which work fine). The fuses all seem ok."

my one only works with the wipers in the top (fastest) location... cant figure out why but maybe yours is the same.

also, whenever i've checked the coolant its been a engine cover off job. if theres another way i'd love to know!
"LT Massive"
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 19:08
Hi there - can't answer all your questions, but I'll try to deal with a couple I think I can.

Re gas problems - I've had a few caravans, and never had problems with strong wind/rain blowing out gas - seems maybe more a gas supply problem - have you got the right regulator (Propane and Butane operate best at different pressures - think there was a recent post on here about that very topic). 

Zig Unit - I have recently bought an 80's Abbey caravan to strip the contents for my camper conversion. It must have had a careful owner, as it has all the manuals for the appliances etc. I have a Zig installation manual (only 8 pages) - its for model CF9, but has wiring diagram of connections which may help to check if yours is wired up correctly. Also have the 6 page users manual for this unit. I could scan and e-mail both of these if they would be of use. The Zig unit should charge the leisure battery when connected to the mains (assuming you have the mains switch to "on"! - mine lights up orange) or when driving, assuming the van battery is wired into the appropriate terminals on the Zig. As you say, could be a faulty connection/alternator?

Re your embarrassing question - yes I think you have to remove the full cover - on mine the expansion bottle is at the front of the engine.

Regards
Peter.
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 19:24
90psi oil pressure?  I am sure that engine is same as mine is nothing near that. 30psi tops. Its a big old lump and can't see it could get that kind of pressure around all those wide oil ways. Just found some info and it says at 2000rpm and oil temp at 80C it should read 2 bar or 29psi. I doubt its a problem is your really is reading 90psi, but much higher than I understand they are.

This is what a very reliable source emailed to me a few years ago and he was reading it from a VW manual. He had rebuilt his LT engine and really knew what he was doing. Be interested in any opinions on oil pressure. All I know is about the two oil pressure sensors for idle and at revs pressure and the buzzer that goes off if pressure is too low at revs.

If I'm wrong I'll get my coatSmile

Re question 4.
The zig should charge one or the other batteries when main connected. Mine has a switch to either charge the leisure of vehicle battery, but not both together. Of course when you are driving both should charge off the alternator, but if your fanbelt is loose it might be struggling.

Nothing to stop you charging the leisure battery with a decent car charger (modern 3 stage automatic type, not an old transformer in a box that just boils the battery dry) but disconnect it from the camper electrics first as might harm the zig. Its probably a standard car battery being used as a leisure battery (that is what I have as leisure batteries are too expensive). If it really is a proper deep cycle leisure battery then I would be careful about using a car charger on it. If it is let me know and I'll dig around and find out if they can use a car charger. Best to be careful as they cost a fortune.

After its been on charge make sure the battery is sitting at 12.7-12.9 volts after its been left to settle for 24 hours. If its below this, then its not charging fully.

My leisure battery had the connection to the body of the van corroded and it couldn't charge properly and of course couldn't supply what it did have to the campervan properly either. So check the negative strap to the body is not corroded. Mine was connected through a hole in the floor and it had suffered with corrosion over the years. I did away with that connection and instead drilled a hole into one of the side strengthening struts inside the van and connected it there. Its fairly low current and around 3-5 amps most of the time. At max it would be 20amps, so it doesn't need a beefy connection like a vehicle battery does. Just some nice think wire. About 4mm will be fine.

Re question 5. Check fan belt. Mine was a bit loose and the light would glow dimly at night.

General tip to all: Watch out for Lidl selling the battery charger. They should be doing it any time now as the cold weather approaches. Its a great little thing and I will be buying a second one. Only £9.99 last time. Very well made and after charging the battery to the correct voltage, it can be left connected and it will occasionally top up the charge. I use it on my car which doesn't get used for 3 weeks at a time and it keeps the battery in good nick without over charging it.

Edited by rockradio - 27 Oct 08 at 19:44
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
skatemarmalade View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 20:10
Originally posted by petergeeky petergeeky wrote:

Hi there - can't answer all your questions, but I'll try to deal with a couple I think I can.

Re gas problems - I've had a few caravans, and never had problems with strong wind/rain blowing out gas - seems maybe more a gas supply problem - have you got the right regulator (Propane and Butane operate best at different pressures - think there was a recent post on here about that very topic). 

Zig Unit - I have recently bought an 80's Abbey caravan to strip the contents for my camper conversion. It must have had a careful owner, as it has all the manuals for the appliances etc. I have a Zig installation manual (only 8 pages) - its for model CF9, but has wiring diagram of connections which may help to check if yours is wired up correctly. Also have the 6 page users manual for this unit. I could scan and e-mail both of these if they would be of use. The Zig unit should charge the leisure battery when connected to the mains (assuming you have the mains switch to "on"! - mine lights up orange) or when driving, assuming the van battery is wired into the appropriate terminals on the Zig. As you say, could be a faulty connection/alternator?

Regards
Peter.

Hi i have a ZIG CF9 unit in my lt31 and i have no idea how to use it,
Would you be able to email me a copy of the installation manual and user manual,

skatemarmalade@gmail.com

jon.

1984 VW LT 2.4 6 cylinder petrol LWB high top - www.skatemarmalade.com
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 20:48
Hi Jon,

yes, no probs - I'll scan it at work tomorrow and send it on - I'll let you know once Its sent.

Rgds
Peter.
skatemarmalade View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 20:56

Hi Jon,

yes, no probs - I'll scan it at work tomorrow and send it on - I'll let you know once Its sent.

Rgds
Peter.

thanks a lot,
jon

1984 VW LT 2.4 6 cylinder petrol LWB high top - www.skatemarmalade.com
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 08 at 01:22
1. frost.co.uk sell a product called creeping crack cure, costs about £6 and worked on my sunroof.

2. Could be that the pipes/regulator are gummed up, is the hob closest to the bottle?.

4. Leisure batteries are usually green in colour, my 110amp cost me £80ish but they can be had for as little as £35. Battery could be knackered, if its charging ok then voltage across terminals should be between 13.5 and 14.5v when the engine is running.

7. Breather pipe burns fumes which accumulate in the rocker box due to faulty valves/oil seals. I'd have a look to see if there are any visible fumes coming out of the pipe. If not then wouldn't worry about either re-connecting it or leaving it alone.
Could also be something as simple as the end of the pipe rotted so the previous owner cut the end off, and it was too short to be re-connected.

8. Lots of places supply new seals, I'll try and locate a link for you.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 08 at 16:24

I have a Zig installation manual (only 8 pages) - its for model CF9, but has wiring diagram of connections which may help to check if yours is wired up correctly. Also have the 6 page users manual for this unit. I could scan and e-mail both of these if they would be of use.

could you forward them to me aswell, pretty please with sugar on top?
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 08 at 22:24
Sure, happy to - let me know your e-mail address (PM me if you wish - if you want to keep your e-mail address private). How you getting on with the roof renewal - if you've any more pics please post them - the last lot were really interesting - some job you've taken on!

Rgds
Peter.

P.S. - Jon - I'm sending you a copy now.

P.P.S. - I also have manuals for Electrolux 3-way Fridge (model RM212F), Carver Cascade 2 Water Heater,  Carver Caravelle Caravan Heater and "SHURflo" 1021 Water Pump if anyone wants copies.
Rosco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 08 at 11:51
Thanks very much, everyone, for all the input, I'm trying to make sense of it all!
1988 LT35 6cylDiesel 5spd HiTop Camper - needs tlc, spare bits, and an understanding mechanic...
Rosco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 08 at 14:42
Update on the Zig unit, turns out we have a CF8 and I've found a link to a manual for it online at http://www.club80-90.co.uk/docs/zig-cf8.pdf
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 08 at 22:12
Originally posted by rockradio rockradio wrote:

90psi oil pressure?  I am sure that engine is same as mine is nothing near that. 30psi tops. Its a big old lump and can't see it could get that kind of pressure around all those wide oil ways. Just found some info and it says at 2000rpm and oil temp at 80C it should read 2 bar or 29psi. I doubt its a problem is your really is reading 90psi, but much higher than I understand they are.

This is what a very reliable source emailed to me a few years ago and he was reading it from a VW manual. He had rebuilt his LT engine and really knew what he was doing. Be interested in any opinions on oil pressure. All I know is about the two oil pressure sensors for idle and at revs pressure and the buzzer that goes off if pressure is too low at revs.

If I'm wrong I'll get my coatSmile

If your engine is running high oil pressure, this could explain the re-routing of the breather; if it was running too high a pressure, the oil would be forced along the breather tube and into the engine's systems. By having a longer hose, it gives more room for the oil to 'breathe' without leaving the system... thus explaining why your van doesn't 'lose' oil.

The reason for the high pressure could be any number of things.
 Post Reply Post Reply