FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to remove Door Card/Trim - Pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to remove Door Card/Trim - Pics
    Posted: 14 Jun 17 at 09:31
Glad to hear it helped Smile  That's a scary price though.  Genuine Golf motors of a similar year are at least £100 less.  And there don't seem to be aftermarket motors available yet.  They would only be around the £100 mark I suspect.  (Probably not something you wanted to hear! LOL)   
2004 2.5 174
oldgit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldgit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 17 at 19:41
I know that this post was a while ago but the pics. gave me the confidence to have a go at releasing these sprung clips that were still stuck in their holes in the metal inner skin once I got the trim off. (Thank God for a good set of Draper trim tools !) Once they have been undisturbed for many years the centre plastic pin appears to weld itself in, & needs good tools & lots of grunt before they finally give up.
Once the motor assy. was off I had half a cup of water empty out of the plastic pcb cover ! The pcb was so badly corroded from being submerged that it cost me £321 for a new 7h2959802.
I carefully drilled a drain hole in the lowest corner of the plastic cover to keep water away from the pcb if I leave the window open in the rain again !
Also fixed the electric wing mirror, that hasn't worked for years since a white van man kissed mine, so im well pleased with myself.  Big smile - so thanks for such good pics.
Just got to fix the int. "check brakes" & "airbag fault" that randomly appears on the display. - serves me right for buying an old Shuttle !
fffflip66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fffflip66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 13 at 15:31
Hi
Iam now trying to remove the door card on my Caravelle.
Could you please tell me below the forth picture you say to remove the screw in the center of the trim, i cant see one am i looking in wrong place.
Thanks
MultiplexMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MultiplexMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 08 at 22:19
Great post.

1. Boy do I dislike those new VAG clips...

2. Dynamat on the outer door skin is the way to go. 

I recommend long thin (50 mm) strips. 

Peel a small piece of the adhesive backing off and use a wooden spatula to hold the strip against the door skin. (Dynamat is better than BXT in this location as it is stiffer and easier to hold away from the skin until you are in position)

Whilst pressing down on the end, peel the rest of the backing off and gently press the strip against the skin. 

Once secure, rub away to make sure the strip has completely adhered to the door skin.  Repeat until most of the outer skin is covered.

If you are really keen, repeat the exercise on the inner skin (metal under door card) and even the underside of the door card!

Follow with a layer of Ensolite on the inner skin and reassemble.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 09:37

I think there would be room Jon, sounds like a good idea.

Edited by orangina - 11 Feb 09 at 19:15
2004 2.5 174
Jon_Trendline View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon_Trendline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 08:52
Ahh ok then, :). Is there room behind the speaker to get some dynamat behind do you know?, even if I can get a few strips in. It wouldn't foul the window would it?

Cheers
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 08:11
Hi Jon,  When you undo the bolts on that steel panel you find the window regulator complete with it's cables, channels and pulleys is riveted to the back of it!  (You can see one of the four lots of rivets in the pic.  I just allowed it to come out slightly and oiled the bottom pulley which stopped my creaking noise. 

The panel also has two locating pins to make sure it is exactly lined up.  I wouldn't touch it unless you really have to! 

Edited by T5 TDI - 15 Jul 17 at 10:49
2004 2.5 174
Jon_Trendline View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon_Trendline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 00:31
Nice job, thanks for the documentary!

I wonder if that panel on the 6th picture unbolts easy enough. I'm going to be using some Dynamat on the doors and it would be nice to add some to the outside skin aswell as the inside.

Not sure if I could just unbolt it with everything still stuck to it (electric motor) and if it would effect the electric window operation behind.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 22:45

Due to the crooks at Photobucket suddenly deciding to charge $399 for 3rd party hosing some pics have temporarily disappeared until I re post them hosted by a decent firm!! Angry

I had to take my door trim off a couple of weeks ago to look for the cause of a creaking electric window since I couldn't see any other pics of this job here I thought it would be good for info. Smile 

You'll need a phillips screwdriver and torx 15 & 25.

Pop out the window switches and disconnect the wiring multiplug by pressing the little plastic tag.  You can do this after you freed off the trim as I have done here.

This is the capping for the door handleYou might be able to spring the clips on the sides of the capping to get it off but I doubt it. I reckon the best way is to hit the bottom of the capping upwards with the palm of your hand.

....and what it looks like when it's off. 

Remove the two torx screws under the capping, plus the one in the centre of the trim and the three screws at the very bottom.  Next the trim has to be popped off.  The forked tool in the first pic is ideal but you can improvise. Smile  Start at the bottom and pop the first few plastic clips.  Note that the clips are slightly unusual but we'll get to that later.  You may need to grasp the trim firmly and pull it off if you can't pop the clips individually.   Once you have the trim free you need to undo the three torx screws that hold the door release handle to the trim.

You can let it dangle on its cable.

Here is what the inside of the door looks like.  The large lump above the speaker is the window motor.

The trim clips are not the normal simple pop on/pop off type you might have seen before.  You need to make sure they are 'set' before they go back.  The one on the right is ready to go back.

When you refit the trim and the clips are located and gently thumped into place, the clips automatically lock into their holes.
Here is a way to undo any locked clips.

The electric window is arranged in a different way too but I won't bother with that now.  (Edit- Now added here- http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/electric-windows-regulator-removal_topic86213.html

If anyone can see any booboos or anything I've left out please say so.

Edited by T5 TDI - 15 Jul 17 at 10:34
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply