The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 17:21
I think I'm on y size Argo light now anyway...ta for the info.
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 14:38
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Update on the gas side.
Got a nice big BOC Y bottle (40kg) this afternoon, found a special deal for diy bods.
Gas is £24.48 a refill and annual rent £34.15 + vat of course. No stupid contract, monthly bills.
Normal prices are £50.36 and £105.06.

Thanks for letting me know about this great deal Andy, I've been paying £78 a year rent on a size X Argoshield Light bottle so this is half the price for more gas!

I rang BOC and they have put me on the tariff you described and I have just swapped my bottle over.

Thanks again! Smile

Edited by Serge - 30 Jul 12 at 15:55
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 15:51
Welcome mate, more the merrier as far as I am concerned.
I have a non boc x bottle I need re-filling but I'm not paying £85. Anybody........
£25 for 2 1/2 times the gas is MUCH betterBig smile.
Y Bottle though is much heavier so had to make a welding cart this weekend.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 17:35
P.S. Bottle needs a spanner which is not supplied, naf all use without.
£1ish on fleabay or welding suppliers, BOC £3ish plus use couriers so £8.50 charge per order.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

kelsham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelsham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 14:26
Adams gas have suppliers round the country, you buy the bottle and afterwards just pay for the refill. I live in Mid Wales and there is a supplier in Welshpool. I handed back my BOC bottle.

It is wise to buy a welder that is at least 150 amp as you can weld a thicker piece of metal when needed. Make sure it goes down to a minimum of 30 amps for bodywork. If you are on a budgetand only want it for thinner metal a 130 amp mc will suffice.

Make sure that the metal is clean/ really clean.

Check earth clamp is tight.

Disconnect battery and alternator.

The diode packs are susceptible to spikes when welding.

Buy a good mask, they are getting cheaper. I personally prefer one that has removable batteries.

My first mask died when the rechargeable battery failed in the cold garage after two years. It was not designed to be replaced.

A good mask will allow you to see the welding process properly.

When setting up set the tension so that the wire slips when you stop it with your hand after allowing a loop to form. If it is to tight it will birdsnest in the machine.

When welding cars it is best to do it in short bursts to stop distortion of the panels and move position on the joint, don't hurry. If you do you will need lots of filler to make good.

Join the migwelding forum and read the tutorials.

Clarke welders seem to be the best hobby welder.

A good machine makes welding easier to learn.

Regards Kels
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 18:55
SmileStill think the BOC deal is better if you use a reasonable amount of gas.

Did a huge amount of research before I changed over, main reason being that when I bought the X bottle refills were £40. Cost had doubled when I moved to BOC.

Cannot find anyone else who will fill the X bottle so just use it when I need to be mobile.

Had a look at Adams prices and they are filled to a lower pressure so contain only about 50% as much gas, equivalent running cost for an X bottle would be around £70 which is a reasonable saving of £15. For that cost with BOC you get twice as much gas per year.

max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 19:06
I'm with boc and did the folk zone offer thing this refill...so far so good!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 13 at 08:44
Greetings to everyone enjoying savings on the Volkszone offer.
Just an update on current prices for anyone else.

Monthly rental now £3.74
Y Bottle refill now £32.29 inc environment and energy surcharge
Both prices include vat.

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 14 at 18:04
New contact for VolksZone Gas deal is Nicola Smith 0161 9306014

Prices I was quoted today are:

Y Bottle Argoshield Light   Refill £26.50+VAT
Rental £38.70+VAT

Y Bottle Argoshield    Refill  £36.30+VAT
Universal Rental £38.70+VAT

The environment and energy surcharge was £0.00

If you do not sign up for direct debit of the annual rental there is a £2.00+VAT invoice fee, once per year.

Even though Nicola had phoned the branch after I had spoken to her in the morning it still took an absolute age to open the account but got there in the end.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
roundandsquare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundandsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 00:30
I just signed up with the Volkzone BOC deal too.  Called the number Chris put in the post above and spoke to Crystal who emailed a form to sign.  I sent it back and was able to go and get a bottle in just over 24 hrs.  The guy at the branch was friendly and helpful. He even gave me a free spanner for the bottle.

I'd previously tried Hobby gas which was hopeless.   The bottles look the part, same size as pub gas CO2 bottles, but after reading some posts on the mig welding forum I found out that for some reason they don't fully fill them up.  After the first bottle ran out I thought there must have been a leak.  On the second bottle I was really careful to turn the gas tap off after every weld but that ran out just as quick.  I have no idea what kind of hobby this would be any use for because it's no use for welding up hopeless old vans.

The BOC Argoshield Lite also seems like better gas than the Hobby gas stuff.
LT35 2.4 diesel (not turbo) hybrid van/camper type thing...
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 05:42
Another happy memberSmile, it's the best deal I've found if you use a reasonable amount of gas.
Bottle pressure is an issue and isn't always quoted on the web etc.

The first bottle I bought holds half the gas of the BOC Y, but a refill is now £80+ and no other supplier will re-fill it. Keep it for convenience when welding away from home or if I run out.

Free spanner was nice, wasn't happy when I got home and had nothing to fit.

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 06:54
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Free spanner was nice, wasn't happy when I got home and had nothing to fit.

I had not checked that either, so the adjustable 'wrench' came out and that worked fine.Shocked
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 11:57
Not quite that daft mine wouldn't fitWink.
Was gonna make something but thought no, bottles are rented so liable for damage etc better buy spanner from BOC.

Don't bother fit was horrendous and they only send stuff by courier.
Buy one off eBay for about £3 or make your own.

Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 14 at 21:55
Originally posted by Chappy Chappy wrote:

Anyone had any experience in getting hold of oxyacetylene  bottles?

Bags and torches are easy enough on ebay, but not so with the bottles. I'm guessing that it's more to do with eBay rules that owt else tho.  I fancied a OA setup for welding and general use.  

Wolseley do oxy in a deposit return system for ac work, will cost a bit but I find it better for poor metal
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 14 at 22:00
If anyone in Belfast or this island try ulster bottling for your gas needs.

He does co2 extinguishers new for 30ish better that than your pride enjoy when the hose doesn't work
Bundas View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 15 at 21:05
Hi Guys,

I have called the number in the post above to arrange my gas bottle. When I spoke with them first yesterday they quoted me the same as LTCamper89 except that I have an environmental surcharge of £1.36.

I received the confirmation email today that my account is now live so I thought give them a ring or place an order, just to figure out how it works. I am planning to collect the bottle on Saturday morning as I am working away all week.

When I spoke with them on the phone today the refill charge was the same as I quoted originally but the bottle rental was £8.50/month = £102/year(!). They also said I need to pay a collection charge of £14.40 on top of this as well. 

Only change I made from the original is that I was on cash only deal for first and said that I'd like to pay with card? Would that be the reason? Say this Volkszone offer is cash only? 

Thanks in advance for any advice.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 15 at 21:22
Deal could have changed I guess but I suspect you have been quoted wrong, mine goes out by DD. £3.88 for rental or say £40 if a new Y bottle. I just collect from the local supplier, no fees.

Bundas View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 15 at 21:26
Strange, I might try to ring back the first number again. It was told on the central number. That fee was for collecting personally, if I want it delivered is around £50.. Will try again tomorrow. Don't think the deal has changed as the quotes were similar 2 days ago and they knew what I am talking about.
Bundas View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 15 at 18:50
I collected my bottle yesterday and the guy at the shop even know about the deal itself and confirmed the quotes are the ones we discussed here before so I am quite happy. 

He also gave me a key for free and and argon reg for 1/2 price (£28!) as I only had a CO before. So highly recommend the chaps at Birtley if anyone goes by.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 15 at 19:16
Glad you are sorted mate, it's such a good deal that it's worth a bit of agro to get an account.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>