The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 14 at 18:04
New contact for VolksZone Gas deal is Nicola Smith 0161 9306014

Prices I was quoted today are:

Y Bottle Argoshield Light   Refill £26.50+VAT
Rental £38.70+VAT

Y Bottle Argoshield    Refill  £36.30+VAT
Universal Rental £38.70+VAT

The environment and energy surcharge was £0.00

If you do not sign up for direct debit of the annual rental there is a £2.00+VAT invoice fee, once per year.

Even though Nicola had phoned the branch after I had spoken to her in the morning it still took an absolute age to open the account but got there in the end.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 13 at 08:44
Greetings to everyone enjoying savings on the Volkszone offer.
Just an update on current prices for anyone else.

Monthly rental now £3.74
Y Bottle refill now £32.29 inc environment and energy surcharge
Both prices include vat.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 19:06
I'm with boc and did the folk zone offer thing this refill...so far so good!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 18:55
SmileStill think the BOC deal is better if you use a reasonable amount of gas.

Did a huge amount of research before I changed over, main reason being that when I bought the X bottle refills were £40. Cost had doubled when I moved to BOC.

Cannot find anyone else who will fill the X bottle so just use it when I need to be mobile.

Had a look at Adams prices and they are filled to a lower pressure so contain only about 50% as much gas, equivalent running cost for an X bottle would be around £70 which is a reasonable saving of £15. For that cost with BOC you get twice as much gas per year.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

kelsham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelsham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 14:26
Adams gas have suppliers round the country, you buy the bottle and afterwards just pay for the refill. I live in Mid Wales and there is a supplier in Welshpool. I handed back my BOC bottle.

It is wise to buy a welder that is at least 150 amp as you can weld a thicker piece of metal when needed. Make sure it goes down to a minimum of 30 amps for bodywork. If you are on a budgetand only want it for thinner metal a 130 amp mc will suffice.

Make sure that the metal is clean/ really clean.

Check earth clamp is tight.

Disconnect battery and alternator.

The diode packs are susceptible to spikes when welding.

Buy a good mask, they are getting cheaper. I personally prefer one that has removable batteries.

My first mask died when the rechargeable battery failed in the cold garage after two years. It was not designed to be replaced.

A good mask will allow you to see the welding process properly.

When setting up set the tension so that the wire slips when you stop it with your hand after allowing a loop to form. If it is to tight it will birdsnest in the machine.

When welding cars it is best to do it in short bursts to stop distortion of the panels and move position on the joint, don't hurry. If you do you will need lots of filler to make good.

Join the migwelding forum and read the tutorials.

Clarke welders seem to be the best hobby welder.

A good machine makes welding easier to learn.

Regards Kels
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 17:35
P.S. Bottle needs a spanner which is not supplied, naf all use without.
£1ish on fleabay or welding suppliers, BOC £3ish plus use couriers so £8.50 charge per order.

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 15:51
Welcome mate, more the merrier as far as I am concerned.
I have a non boc x bottle I need re-filling but I'm not paying £85. Anybody........
£25 for 2 1/2 times the gas is MUCH betterBig smile.
Y Bottle though is much heavier so had to make a welding cart this weekend.

Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 14:38
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Update on the gas side.
Got a nice big BOC Y bottle (40kg) this afternoon, found a special deal for diy bods.
Gas is £24.48 a refill and annual rent £34.15 + vat of course. No stupid contract, monthly bills.
Normal prices are £50.36 and £105.06.

Thanks for letting me know about this great deal Andy, I've been paying £78 a year rent on a size X Argoshield Light bottle so this is half the price for more gas!

I rang BOC and they have put me on the tariff you described and I have just swapped my bottle over.

Thanks again! Smile

Edited by Serge - 30 Jul 12 at 15:55
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 17:21
I think I'm on y size Argo light now anyway...ta for the info.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 15:49
Found the info on the mig welding forum.
Just ring 0800 111333 and ask about the Volkszone offer.
Only catch is it's Y size only, reasoning being that it fits in the boot!!.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 15:36
How? did you just ask at boc? im on the intrustrial tariff...too expensive..whats the catch?
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 15:04
Update on the gas side.
Got a nice big BOC Y bottle (40kg) this afternoon, found a special deal for diy bods.
Gas is £24.48 a refill and annual rent £34.15 + vat of course. No stupid contract, monthly bills.
Normal prices are £50.36 and £105.06.

pinpin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

dayglo dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 12 at 22:47
Oh and disconnectthe battery, at best you could fry your ECU at worst your battery will blow up due to the hydrogen it produces when it boils. Have fun!!
A GUY HAS TO HAVE HIS TOYS!!
pinpin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

dayglo dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 12 at 22:43
Right fellas, just my tuppence worth but if you going to do the welding lark, don't go for a gasless model, go for at least a 150 amp gas fed model (it's worth spending the extra). There's lots of places you can get gas from, admittedly it comes with a bottle rental fee which is about £18 a month. A full bottle of either argoshield light or coogar 5 should set you back about £75 notes depending on if you use air products or BOC. If your new to welding get some practice on scrap material first and with mig clean material is really important. Then it's up to you experimenting with the amount of current and wire speed. If your stuck ask someone we all had trouble at some time.
A GUY HAS TO HAVE HIS TOYS!!
NickV View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 20:28
Originally posted by madra madra wrote:

Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

.... When working on vehicles it is recommended that you disconnect the battery...

i'm sure i read somewhere that you should disconnect the battery *and* the alternator.

true or false?
True...
It can blow the diodes on the alternator which turn ac to dcCry

So always disconnect the alternator before welding. I disconnect the battery too as it only takes a sec!
lt31ollie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lt31ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 11 at 01:23
for the people who keep running out of gas quickly..
turn the wire speed down and hold the torch near youre cheak,
the purge of gas should feel simular to breath on the back of youre hand
if you have to much gas, this can drag air into the sheid of gas which will give you porosity.

ive been working as a fabricator for the last 5 years and this is how i always metre
how much gas i need. also if you use 0.6 to 0.8, welding body panels is far easyier and stronger
as the you get full weld penatration rather than if you use 1mm up you will end up with cold lap
as you have to run the welder on a low setting with not much weld penatration

hope that is of some help
bibblybobs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 10 at 15:50
I use gas from Halfords and the current bottle I have has lasted a year and a lot of panels. I turn on the gas tap until I just hear the gas then stop. If you open the gas tap fully it will only last about 10 mins.
1984 LT31 2.4 petrol Camper
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 13:08
You are certainly correct about BOC Andy. They suck! But if you need the gear as we do they've got you up against a wall for sure. Argon mix on the MIG does make it a lot nicer though!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 12:51
Mine is gasless and I'll put up with the spatter.
BOC are taking the ****.

Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 12:50
Oh, forgot to mention... Oxy/Acetylene bottles are available on the 'black market' but they are inevitably empty and you will have trouble getting them filled if you don't have a trusted friend with a proper BOC account...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>