The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rev Counter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spev58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rev Counter
    Posted: 05 Oct 08 at 16:49
I have a rev counter which works intermittently, she will work fine from starting then decide not to on the journey and then just fire up again.
I have been informed that this is quite common in T3's.
Can anyone tell me different. The rev counter is in a 1990 California Td.
The next question is does anyone know where I can get a replacement from or a possible repair to the one I have.
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 08 at 17:03
Maybe post this in the tech section, rev counter is not a specific Westy thing.
Sunny Lancs
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 08 at 17:23
mine was exactly the same. I tried and tried to sort it, checked the PCB (common fault for anything dash related) the wiring... nothing.

It was the alternator that was faulty. I put a new alternator on last month and its fine.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
dub dub campers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dub dub campers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 08 at 19:55
check and clean plug on alternater
dub dub
Stuart Roper,
Lampeter, Mid Wales
07966 270767,
dubdubcampers@aol.com
crewie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 20:42
check and clean the plug on the back of the instrument cluster ,they often work loose and can cause the rev counter to become intermittent.
my old singlecab used to do it all the time ,you can actually reach under the right hand side of the dash and wiggle it whilst sat in the drivers seat ,try it next time it plays up.
spev58 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spev58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 23:09
Thanks for all the advice, I will try them out at the weekend and let you know the outcome.

spev58 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spev58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 08 at 17:42
Had a play with the rec counter today and found that it comes in 2 halves, the fuel guage and temp gauge are the bottom half. I found that the whole rev counter did not sit flat it was raised slightly where the joins is and I think this was causing the rev counter to work intermittently as the pins were losing contact. I have simply put a cable tie on it and it now seems to sit flat and is working fine for now.
tewski8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tewski8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 08 at 19:45
heard that before somewhere.........
Thanks Doc, the electric shock did the trick . . .
Jon_E View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 09 at 11:35
so the rev counter takes it's info from the alternator? I guess this could explain why mine drops off when I get a noisy slipping alternator belt?!
 Post Reply Post Reply