The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake fluid service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake fluid service
    Posted: 30 Sep 08 at 09:20
The sticker in my door pillar says: Brake fluid service after 2yrs.
Q. Do you think this necessary? Is it just more for the coughers in the stealerships?
Obviously if it needs doing then it will be but I have driven cars for years before without changing the fluid. I have been told its 'hydroscopic affect' will draw in moisture and end result is rotting brake pipes???

Your views please.
Motexion, not cheap plywood!
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 08 at 09:27
The worry is the servo pump. Any corrosion in here will mean a new servo and a big hole in your wallet. It is best practice to replace brake fluid and coolant periodically, it won`t cost the earth and could save you megabucks.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 08 at 11:24
The water in the brake fluid can boil under heavy braking especially on big hills and towing leading to a pedal that travels almost to the floor.  Also the water can lead to rusting on the inside of brake cylinders a calipers over time, the seals can then leak leading to some big bills.  I reckon it is well worth getting it done.

ZZ Smile  There shouldn't be any brake fluid in direct contact with the servo or the vacuum pump or something has already gone badly wrong! 
2004 2.5 174
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 08 at 12:49
Perhaps I meant the master cylinder Embarrassed !
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 08 at 16:33
Just so you know as well, when I popped by the stealers to book up the brake fluid service I asked about any recalls, they looked and said a recent one is to change the transmission oil as T5's are having problems with changing!! They plan to refresh it, drive it, drain it and then totally renew, all under warranty of course
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 08 at 17:38
That's interesting dub Thumbs%20Up  I wonder if it's just a straight transmission oil change or will they use a modified oil /grade?  If anyone else knows anything about this please post it under a new thread so it doesn't get buried in this one. Smile

2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 13:43
I am getting them to drain and flush the clutch fluid as well while they are changing the brake fluid on my T5.  I have heard of the clutch slave cylinder gunking up because the fluid down the bottom of the clutch line never gets changed (even though it uses the brake reservoir).
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 22:56

Good point Greg Clap  It will do no harm to occasionally include the clutch hydraulics as part of the normal brake fluid change. 

For info- The dealers have a pressure tool to change the brake fluid.  I don't know how their tool works but if it's like the tool I once had it presses out the old fluid by using an airline fitting on the brake master cylinder cap.  The tool then restricts the pressure to 15 psi or so and expels the old fluid via the bleed valves on the calipers and presses in the new fluid at the same time without the need for any pedal pumping.  On my tool the compressed air (which is often full of moisture) was even kept separate from the fresh fluid by a rubber diaphragm.

The clutch hydraulic system uses the upper half of the brake master cylinder for supply as Greg says so if you can persude your dealer/garage to include changing the fluid in the clutch hydraluics as part of the barke fluid change it might save you a some trouble in the future.

No doubt they will need to charge you a few quid extra for this service but I'd say it's well worth the extra dosh Smile 
2004 2.5 174
Van Rouge View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Van Rouge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 08 at 16:14
I changed my brake fluid using a Gunsons Ezi Bleed kit which uses air pressure from a spare tyre. I was easy to do except that I found it impossible to access the bleed nipple on the clutch cylinder. Perhaps there is a special tool for this.
T5 130 104TDi PD shuttle home camper conversion
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 10:21
Could you actually see the bleed nipple VR?  Because sometimes the bleed nipple is in the pipe rather than on the slave cyl.  The latest fashion on cars is to have have the slave cyl inside the bell housing so you can't get at it without taking the gearbox out. Shocked  Havan't checkek mine yet but I'd like to change the clutch fluid so I will in a week or two when I take take the lower pan off.  I hope it's easier to bleed than my T4 was! LOL 
2004 2.5 174
Van Rouge View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Van Rouge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 16:36
Yes I could just see the bleed nipple. It had rubber cap on it which I flipped off and never saw again!
T5 130 104TDi PD shuttle home camper conversion
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 17:08
Heheh!  done that a few times...    I've just done my brake fluid but I'll have another look when I finally get round to changing the water pump.  I keep telling everyone else they are on borrwed time and mine is still the original pump at 44K!

I once changed the clutch fluid on my T4 on the morning before a 5000 mile trip round Europe and I could not get it bleed properly.  I was nearly running out of ideas (and the ferry was hooting!) when I found the pressure cap off an old brake bleeding tool I had and that and some gentle air pressure finally did it.  Your Gunsons thingy probably would have worked too.
2004 2.5 174
excalibur View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excalibur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 08 at 21:39
The gear oil change is for later model 1.9's.

If you have a 4 cylinder that is crunching 1st to 2nd when changing gear quickly it may be subject to this workshop action
wully View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 08 at 09:50
My 04 T5 is sitting in a garage with a knackered clutch- fluid is leaking out the bell housing...expecting a hefty bill...
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 08 at 18:31
I just checked Wully, the gearbox does have to come out to replace the slave cylinder. Cry
What a muckin stupid design!  It would be ok if you tell me your van has done starship mileage so it's entitled to cost some wedge.  But I have a feeling it won't have  If they replace the clutch too you may need to move to a smaller house....CryCry

2004 2.5 174
wully View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 08 at 16:32
That's what I was afraid of... It's only done 65000 miles and I will have a go at them for some dosh off but since I'm 5k overdue for a service I might be on thin ice..
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 08 at 16:15
Had the service done today £65 inc Vat.

Not too painfull, aparrently the tool they use pushes out 'that clutch fluid' too. Not sure if this was BS but hey. Also had the transmission fluid changed as recall work. I didn't notice any problems beforehand but god does it now change gear smoothly, so who knows maybe there was.

Anyway...today I got good service and wasn't fleeced, well done VW.
wully View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 13:38
Got the slave cylinder fixed yesterday after being fecked around by VW in Glasgow- last time I ever go there...eejits.

Anyway, new slave cylinder and new clutch as well since the gearbox had to come out and apart from some problems getting all the air out, all is well in the world again.

Or will be once it's fully bled.  Do you NEED the proper bleed tool or can it be done the old fashioned way??
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 18:27

I reckon almost any system can be bled without VW's expensive tool but some are right gits and do need some sort of light pressure applied at the reservoir.  So if you open a bleed valve without having some sort of tool on standby you could be in the merde. 

I do still have the cap bit of my old pressure tool so if you do get in the French stuff I can send it to you.   I'm still basking in foreign parts atm Big smile so there might be a delay of about 3 weeks.

2004 2.5 174
wully View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 12:41
Took it back to he garage this morning ( not a Vee Dub stealer...) and they put the power bleeder on it and it's all working perfectly againBig smile

There must have been a wee bit of air trapped in there somewhere...
 Post Reply Post Reply