The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily commute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swidda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daily commute
    Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 09:35
After a few days of cummuting in the Van I realised I can't afford to do it everyday, not that I ever planned to, but at least just until the novelty wore off and it hasnt yet! but I gotta eat so its back to the old commute....I was just wondering what LT folk drove on a day to day basis....So whats your daily commute?
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 09:44
I changed from landrover discovery 3.9 v8. 10mpg in town if I was really carefull. After that 2.4td 35 is really economical. Its all a matter of perspective.
mikebdomain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 09:53

I usually ride a Yamaha XJR1300 - during the winter and wetter days I now use the van

1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 10:27
yep LT35 2.4td for me too - about 1000 miles a month at 22mpg... luckily I'm a contractor so i claim 40p per mile back off my tax bill. if it werent for that I'd buy something thats better on the motorway though tbh.
"LT Massive"
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 10:58
I don't drive every day and apart from occasionally nipping out for a kebab my only travelling is from Suffolk to London about once a fortnight.

I use a Sierra most of the time as much more comfortable and of course quicker and quieter. I do enjoy driving the van, but for short trips down the shops, getting it off the drive and parked is a pain. My local car park has height bars to stop pikey's taking residence.

Also since the high price of diesel compared to petrol, I really have to think carefully about taking the van down to London as its about twice the cost of fuel of the car. Car does 40mpg and van 25mpg. It almost exactly works out to £25 return for the car (200 miles) and nearly £50 for the van.

I'll be banned from London from Oct 2010 as my/our vans won't meet the LOw Emission Zone limits and costs a £100/day to go inside greater London. Boundary more or less at the M25. I was hoping BoJo might have given an exemption for leisure vehicles like ours, but so far not much. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 11:11
my Lt is my daily commute, 10 miles each way to work, and its great. people move out of my way and its more relaxing to drive than my TT  which is the one at the rear

1993 2.4 Diesel VW LT35 LWB PAS self build camper
part of the "LT Massive"
1990 syncro part of the "off road massive"
rossfromfriends View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossfromfriends Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 12:24
I'll be banned from London from Oct 2010 as my/our vans won't meet the LOw Emission Zone limits and costs a £100/day to go inside greater London. Boundary more or less at the M25. I was hoping BoJo might have given an exemption for leisure vehicles like ours, but so far not much. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/

So it the Low Emission Zone on top of the Congestion charge? Not that I have any reason to go to London, only reasons not to!

Oh and I drive a crappy Suzuki for getting to work and beating around town, cheap to run, easy to park, not very manly...
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 12:38
> Not that I have any reason to go to London, only reasons not to!

I always get this negative reaction to London. Its a great place if you know it. Great pubs, great parks, more trees than I have here locally in Suffolk and so much to do. Where my Mum lives it's so peaceful too and she is close to a fairly rough part of town. Most of my friends live there and the one's that have moved out can see the advantages of London now they have left it all behind and can't afford to move back. I moved here for other reasons and been trying to get back ever since. Country life has good points, but getting about and finding things to do if difficult.

As for the other post and people getting out of your way, you are not driving it like white man van are you?Wink I've never noticed other people getting out of my way, but I drive it like the bus/truck it is and not like a car. Mine (no pas or turbo) will never drive like a car or even a Transit or insert any other modern van here.
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
Butternut boy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 13:56
Hey eltee, what's that Big Green Long thing sticking out of the water on your photo?... looks like some kind of....weird monster...... Is there such a thing...... I just can't believe it.

Daily commute.......... I'm V. lucky.... I can walk there and back, good for the constitution... what ever that is.
You nod yer ed n I'll it' it     
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 17:34
Originally posted by eltee eltee wrote:

my Lt is my daily commute, 10 miles each way to work, and its great. people move out of my way and its more relaxing to drive than my TT  which is the one at the rear

Me too! 25 km to work, very relaxing and I can also sleep and eat into it during breaks LOL
'86 LT28 Diesel Sven Hedin
wilks View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 21:56
firms van firms diesel so i can afford to use my lt more!!!!!!!Smile
sold my van and miss it so much
bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 08 at 09:07
Well i live in london, and i cant afford to drive my van to work,so thats where it sits, i just takes so long in traffic, i cycle to work quicker than driving.  But when im at work i drive an ivaco daily truck.  Work truck and diesel so dont mind sitting in traffic.
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
Swidda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swidda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 08 at 20:58

Forgot to fill that bit in myself:

Rainy days: Gilera Runner 180
Sunny Days: 57' Vespa 125
Non 9-5 days: 1991 Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 TS (a bit of a bucket that I got for free but it's frobably the most fun I've had on 4 wheels)

I'm trying to gauge whether LT people are or are not typical VW fans (just with a better sense of humour)
Swidda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swidda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 08 at 20:59
frobably?...probablyEmbarrassed
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 08 at 21:29
What's the 57 Vespa mate, what is that, Sport or a Sprint or something...?????? Not a G.S. I take it....
Had a few in my time but was always more of a Lambretta fella really.
surfzone View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 08 at 22:38
Hi All
Just now driving a skoda felicia 1.9d my dads he just had a replacement knee
my ride 1994 passat tdi   Clap

LT35_Leigh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT35_Leigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 08 at 00:39
I get to work via a lift from workmates, bus, bike or foot.

Only vehicle we have is the LT, so do use it if needs be or have to go somewhere on the way home that requires driving to.
1990 2.4 N/A Diesel VW LT35 SWB Genuine Reimo Conversion.

Big. Blue and Beautiful!
carrotman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrotman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 08 at 09:14
Only vehicle we own now is our LT,  work is only five miles so the bike is used most of the time.  On wet days and odd other occassion the LT is used, any excuse will do to get her out and about Wink.
1984 LT28 2.4 petrol. Devon Conversion
Swidda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swidda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 08 at 16:37
Na its nothin fancy like a GS, Its a VBA I picked up at a EuroLambretta rally a few years back for 80 squids (very similar to the Douglas Sportique) Its got an 02' 200 motor fitted with 10" wheels and a disc brake up front....
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 08 at 16:49
What did yer' do, just buy the frame and put a PX engine in it????? The old Vespas have nice lines don't they, I had an old Douglas when I was a kid, and a couple of P200's over the years.
I wished I'd have kept hold of the Lambretta's now though, I had a garage full of em' at one point and now there worth what seems like a fortune by comparison.
My TV175 Lambretta had a disc brake on the front... now that was useless They hadn't really got that side of things sorted out back in 1960 whatever.

You did alright didn't you? £80 is a bargain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>