The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swidda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic ignition
    Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 16:40
Is there an electronic ignition conversion available for the 2.0 petrol LT 28, the one with the Engine from the Audi 100 and Porsche 924(I think)? Can parts from later editions of the latter be retro fitted?
Butternut boy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 18:30
I know of two companies that do the electronic conversion your after.

Hot Spark and

Pertronix.

From what I read their both in the U.S. and of the two Pertronix is more value for money, but obviously do your own research here.

I know you can buy the entire distributor/advance and all from at least one of em', but it can be pricey, and of course you have to get it here.

They look like they know what there doing though.
If I were you I'd stick to chasing the Porsche match as from what I can gather there were more deviations in the Audi system.

Best.
Butternut.
You nod yer ed n I'll it' it     
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 21:27
While were on the subject may as well post this link to a Porker engine on The Bay of Fleas.
caveman_dick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman_dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 08 at 10:31
I have an optical ignition setup on my 2.4 LT31. I know the engine is different but the way they work, they'll work on most engines. Basically they replace the points in the dizzy and have a small control-box outside.

The website is http://www.newtronic.co.uk/new/main.php/optron/ and they cost ~£200 although loads come up on fleabay for a lot less. There's even a BIN for £162 incl the fitting kit > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lumenition-Optronic-Ignition-with-Eye-fitting-kit_W0QQitemZ260286899088QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

All of it is very easy to fit and can be done within about 1-2 hours (And fully reversable). One word of warning make sure you have a good ground off the control box, my van has sound-proofing in the engine bay that was insulating it and stopping it from working properly!

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 08 at 13:03
Nice one mate, I'll look into that.

Swidda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swidda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 08 at 17:49
Thanks very much lads! very helpful......
 Post Reply Post Reply