FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVW MAXI TRAMPER /maxi life

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW MAXI TRAMPER /maxi life
    Posted: 03 Sep 08 at 11:29
I saw this today looking for a smaller lower fuel van than my t5 campervan -to tow a small eriba caravan for long stays & to use as an overnighter for dog show weekends,  [ i am getting frightened of the fuel costs and depreciation i will get on the t5 if i keep it much longer it is lovely butbit  after 6 mths use find it bigger than i really need--] - I have been using a berlingo to tow previously but it isnt big enough to sleep in with the dog carriers etc - if i sell the vw i would want something more dual purpose with plenty of towing power-
the caddy maxi lifestyle factory fitted camper version seemes to be only available in certain countries does anyone have any info / personal reviews of the camper also the mpv lifestyle van? thanks deh 
VWstealer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 08 at 13:10
Details for the Caddy Maxi Life are available on the VW Commercial Vehicles website and from all VW Van Centres. The Tramper is not currently intended for UK sale, the next thing on the list for Caddy and Caddy Maxi is a proposed Sportline version based on the 140PS which should be available by the end of 2008.
The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Did Not Exist...
Smithysmoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 08 at 09:07
What he said. Phoned up about the camper version when I originally spotted it not sure why they aren't going to brig it to the UK I think it would be a hit. Loking forward to seeing the sportline, it may be time to sell the Multivan.
dan wood View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 09 at 20:10
Wellhouse Leisure based in Shepley, Huddersfield is doing a camper conversion on a Caddy Maxi Life.
Small, but perfectly formed! In fact, so good my search for a late T4 camper ended.

;)

Will let you know how it is after I've collected it in next month or so.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 09 at 20:54
Yeah dan saw all the pics of that while he was dong it was it the red one???? Looked spot on let me know how it goes.

dan wood View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 09 at 23:15
The red one got sold right from under our noses, from someone who'd only seen the pics online!

He had a grey one ready for conversion, but somehow grey didn't seem right - especially still full of people carrier seating!

So, ordered a new red caddy maxi, and got him to convert that instead. It's identical to the one you've seen online but with the addition of some diesel-fuelled blown air heating.

Should be ready for collection soon! :)

dan wood View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 09 at 17:56
It's mine!

http://twitpic.com/bxd6d
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 09 at 18:02
That link right mate as can't get it working
dan wood View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 09 at 08:41
Works for me. I think twitpic site was down on tuesday night for a bit...
dan wood View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 10 at 13:24
Just in case anyone's interested here are some thoughts I've just sent to someone via PM...

We're getting on quite well with the Caddy, although we only only use it for weekending here on the Isle of Man. Storage space is at a premium, but we downsized from an old T3, so are used to having loads of stuff just chucked about in plastic bags...

The bed is quite narrow, but at least there's no way of falling out of it. It took some getting used to at first, and we've gone back to having a sleeping bag each rather than thick duvets that took up room during the 'daytime' mode.

We've ditched the extra 'buddy' seats that fit behind the passenger and driver seats as they just took up space and we didn't need them. Same with the folding table. (Wellhouse didn't think about where that could be stored when not in use!)

Other than that, very pleased with it. Build quality on the conversion side is good. The only niggles have been caused by a hard frost we had. The fridge lid has detached from the cupboard lid (the adhesive shrunk and cracked in the frost), and the fresh water tank has cracked on the lid (the plastic went very brittle in the cold). These can easily be fixed, and I'm sure Wellhouse would sort it for us, but with us being 'stuck' on the Isle of Man I'll probably fix it up myself before too long.

Spend some time looking closely at the bed - that's the only thing that bugs me about it. I can bear it for 3 nights or so, but long to stretch out (I'm 6ft4) somewhere more comfortable after that!
mo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 14:46
Hi,
Just found this post, I am thinking about a caddy as an alternative to a french filth trafic conversion, which I find just a bit too big for use as an everyday vehicle. Usually there is just me to accommodate, so size wouldn't be an issue. How are you getting on with it now you have had virtually a full season? My only reservation is lack of storage space, but I guess I carry too much anyway.
Regards
Mo
 Post Reply Post Reply