The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 or T4 Camper? I need help deciding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 17:29
is that why when i drove a rhd my knuckles used to hit the stereo surround yet i dont have that problem with my bluestar and the stereo is the same one?
chucklebus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucklebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 19:18
LHD T3 vans are easy to drive - the extra height makes the visability good - one tip I would say is to fit the larger bluestar/atlantic mirrors though - massive improvement!

IF you are mechanically able then a T3 Westy would be a good choice, lots of character, lots of room and the late ones are usually in excellent condition. But they will break down and need attention, so being able to diagnose and fix them yourself will save a lot of money.

You might find a T4 for that money, but usually a rough one or a poor conversion and they will usually be smaller inside. Having said that, they are often more reliable, more economical and very easy to drive.

A coachbuilt van - either T3 or T4 will give you the space, but not really practical for a daily commute - slow, large and thirstier.

My Westy is still (possibly) for sale - if you are in the North-West, come and have a look.

Llamapup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llamapup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 20:06
Thanks Chucklebus

Some useful tips there.   This forum seems pretty helpful based on the response to this thread.

I'm not that mechanically minded, but I have owned a range of classic triumphs and aircooled VWs for about 10 years or so. I'm alright with doing the basic maintenance and repair stuff (oil changes, brake pads etc).  I'll need to get to know T3 mechanical issues as they crop up. Hopefully a T3 will give me a chance to take on greater repair challenges.

That said I am tempted by the prospect ofT4 mechanical reliability mentioned on this thread. But I want a nice example not one that needs loads of work for my £7,000.  Is there a supplier of T4 conversion that I should keep an eye out for?

I'm based in leeds Chucklebus, but I end up in Blackpool visiting family every now and again.  Where in the Norhwest are you?

Thanks everyone

Llamapup
Llamapup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llamapup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 20:24
Check out this camper.  Its got alot of seating! I quite like that idea. http://www.vwdownunder.co.uk/type25_barney.htm

What do you lot reckon? Does it look any good?
Stuckonthegrid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuckonthegrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 20:30

check out eastfalia. They have a couple of westys that might fit the bill. You can also fit two three point seatbelts in the back as I have done in mine, safer for kids etc. Most other campers are panel van conversions.

1990 T3 Westfalia Atlantic 1600td    2007 T5 130tdi T32 LWB Kombi
Stu Dapples View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 21:27
I know I will get a sl*ggin from some on here but dont forget Hi tops!

I have a 2.0 aircooled Reimo and its a cracking conversion.... Don't look at the tech thread though!! I have limited mechanical knowledge although I have experience with machinery, the motors themselves are pretty simple affairs and I've gotts say, the guys on here are more than willing to help anyone prepared to have a go for themselves....

Awnings are a good option, we have a drive away which means you can chuck all your gear in and go out for the day if you want to without packing everything you own...

I like pops as they are smoother and quicker on the road, you do have the snag of having to put everything in the load area though, in the hi top, there is a massive overhead locker and the top bunk you can fill!!

One suggestion I would make is to get along to some shows and have a look at the options, most folk who own dubs are more than willing to show you around, a few of us are honest enough to point out the faults too!!!

Vanfest is probably the best start, you can see pretty much every variation known to man!

Good luck with the search!
Stu
chucklebus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucklebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 08 at 15:16
Just about to PM you!

Awnings are good for extra space and keeping your pitch when travelling off the campsite - but they take up space to carry, some are awkward to put up and not very nice when it is windy!

Hightops give a lot of extra practicality but the van is then a lot taller, more susceptable to crosswinds, thirstier and won't fit in most carparks.

Def a good plan to look at as many as you can before spending the cash - what works for one person may not work for another!
Stu Dapples View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 08 at 20:27
They are pricier on ferries too! Our awning is pretty solid even in high wind, sometimes a case of maing sure the van is taking the brunt if it gets silly!

Mine is less wind susceptible since I lowered it, put it on -45mm with uprated shocks, pretty solid now and still usable on campsites!

Car parks.... Fair shout!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12