T3 or T4 Camper? I need help deciding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Stu Dapples View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 or T4 Camper? I need help deciding
    Posted: 27 Aug 08 at 20:27
They are pricier on ferries too! Our awning is pretty solid even in high wind, sometimes a case of maing sure the van is taking the brunt if it gets silly!

Mine is less wind susceptible since I lowered it, put it on -45mm with uprated shocks, pretty solid now and still usable on campsites!

Car parks.... Fair shout!
chucklebus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucklebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 08 at 15:16
Just about to PM you!

Awnings are good for extra space and keeping your pitch when travelling off the campsite - but they take up space to carry, some are awkward to put up and not very nice when it is windy!

Hightops give a lot of extra practicality but the van is then a lot taller, more susceptable to crosswinds, thirstier and won't fit in most carparks.

Def a good plan to look at as many as you can before spending the cash - what works for one person may not work for another!
Stu Dapples View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 21:27
I know I will get a sl*ggin from some on here but dont forget Hi tops!

I have a 2.0 aircooled Reimo and its a cracking conversion.... Don't look at the tech thread though!! I have limited mechanical knowledge although I have experience with machinery, the motors themselves are pretty simple affairs and I've gotts say, the guys on here are more than willing to help anyone prepared to have a go for themselves....

Awnings are a good option, we have a drive away which means you can chuck all your gear in and go out for the day if you want to without packing everything you own...

I like pops as they are smoother and quicker on the road, you do have the snag of having to put everything in the load area though, in the hi top, there is a massive overhead locker and the top bunk you can fill!!

One suggestion I would make is to get along to some shows and have a look at the options, most folk who own dubs are more than willing to show you around, a few of us are honest enough to point out the faults too!!!

Vanfest is probably the best start, you can see pretty much every variation known to man!

Good luck with the search!
Stu
Stuckonthegrid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuckonthegrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 20:30

check out eastfalia. They have a couple of westys that might fit the bill. You can also fit two three point seatbelts in the back as I have done in mine, safer for kids etc. Most other campers are panel van conversions.

1990 T3 Westfalia Atlantic 1600td    2007 T5 130tdi T32 LWB Kombi
Llamapup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llamapup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 20:24
Check out this camper.  Its got alot of seating! I quite like that idea. http://www.vwdownunder.co.uk/type25_barney.htm

What do you lot reckon? Does it look any good?
Llamapup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llamapup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 20:06
Thanks Chucklebus

Some useful tips there.   This forum seems pretty helpful based on the response to this thread.

I'm not that mechanically minded, but I have owned a range of classic triumphs and aircooled VWs for about 10 years or so. I'm alright with doing the basic maintenance and repair stuff (oil changes, brake pads etc).  I'll need to get to know T3 mechanical issues as they crop up. Hopefully a T3 will give me a chance to take on greater repair challenges.

That said I am tempted by the prospect ofT4 mechanical reliability mentioned on this thread. But I want a nice example not one that needs loads of work for my £7,000.  Is there a supplier of T4 conversion that I should keep an eye out for?

I'm based in leeds Chucklebus, but I end up in Blackpool visiting family every now and again.  Where in the Norhwest are you?

Thanks everyone

Llamapup
chucklebus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucklebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 19:18
LHD T3 vans are easy to drive - the extra height makes the visability good - one tip I would say is to fit the larger bluestar/atlantic mirrors though - massive improvement!

IF you are mechanically able then a T3 Westy would be a good choice, lots of character, lots of room and the late ones are usually in excellent condition. But they will break down and need attention, so being able to diagnose and fix them yourself will save a lot of money.

You might find a T4 for that money, but usually a rough one or a poor conversion and they will usually be smaller inside. Having said that, they are often more reliable, more economical and very easy to drive.

A coachbuilt van - either T3 or T4 will give you the space, but not really practical for a daily commute - slow, large and thirstier.

My Westy is still (possibly) for sale - if you are in the North-West, come and have a look.

vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 17:29
is that why when i drove a rhd my knuckles used to hit the stereo surround yet i dont have that problem with my bluestar and the stereo is the same one?
andycaddock View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycaddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 17:07
or you can go for the auto option, and thats a lovely drive, t3 westie is the way forward, and thats the lawWink
Dr Dub View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 16:33
Bit hard to explain unless you've driven one but here goes - Later 5 speed vans have a dogleg first gear with reverse on the same side, from the left hand side of the van its much more natural to pull the gearstick toward you and back for first, also much easier to pull toward you, push down and then forward for reverse. This is because VW designed it that way. I'm not saying that a RHD van is hard to drive at all, just that they're not so natural in the gear dept.       
2011 camperjam tug and chug team member
CALLERS NEVER FAIL - DREAMERS USE E MAIL !!

Bristol Area-Tel 07721577612
Llamapup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llamapup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 16:20
Originally posted by Dr Dub Dr Dub wrote:

as T3's were never designed to be RHD, the gears are a lot easier to master,

Why are the gears easier on a LHD?

Chris
Dr Dub View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 16:00
Don't be put off by LHD - you get a lot more spec for your money and as T3's were never designed to be RHD, the gears are a lot easier to master, my friends misses was concerned when he bought his Whitestar but got used to it after an hour or so and drives it with the kids in all the time now. For camping with a family in a T4, your seriously going to need a long wheelbase with a poptop to have any quality room etc and thats gonna be well over £10k for a nice one.
An awning with bedroom is the only other option if you don't mind the cold ?? - possible compromise ?.   

Edited by Dr Dub - 26 Aug 08 at 16:02
2011 camperjam tug and chug team member
CALLERS NEVER FAIL - DREAMERS USE E MAIL !!

Bristol Area-Tel 07721577612
vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 14:46
four adults?i missed that then think about t4 then.
Or t3 karmann  cheetah loads of room
vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 14:42
after owning t3 and t4
i sold t4 and returned to t3 because the t4 was quicker,looked smart and cost alot more to buy but had no soul ,or respect that a good t3 has as for camping i have kids and they love the t3 as it seems to have more space?
the choice is yours,but i wouldnt go back to t4, unless it was me and wife alone
Janner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 13:08
You may want to consider that vans tend to get more expensive from spring onwards (supply & demand), a little less than your 7k in the winter may buy you more.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be...
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 11:33
Headlamps need to have the correct beam pattern, speedo may or may not need changing.

No problems between swapping between the two - I confess I was worried at first but need not have been.

The only marginal area is narrow, high banked lanes (Devon and Cornwall type) where visibility of oncoming traffic suffers a bit, and getting stuck behind really slow, high wide loads (Hay ricks) where seeing past to overtake is a nightmare.  Most stuff you simply look over.

Holdsworth/Autosleeper conversions are pretty good, but you've got to remember the salt issue if they've been used on British roads in winter for any length of time - British units can be more prone to rot, but are usually cheaper than the imports.

Edited by johnb - 26 Aug 08 at 12:42
My van is better known in these parts than I am
Llamapup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llamapup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 10:10
I like the look of the Westies as well. They look like they are very well designed and built. Before I get completely swayed by the draw of a good LHD campers, is there a RHD conversion that is considered to be of equivalent quality for price comparison purposes?

I'm reasonably convinced with the prospect of driving a LHD vehicle as I learned to drive in the States and spend over 15 years on the roads there, but are there any partucular legal issues about the vehicle or my UK driving licence that need to be sorted? For example if I buy a LHD Westie are there anythings I need to check to make sure they are road legal and I am legal to drive them.

I'm sure that shifting with my right hand will come back to me pretty quickly, but have any of you had any difficulties switching back and forth between your LHD camper and your RHD daily runner? 

What's the blind spot in an LHD camper like on UK roads?

Thanks

Chris 

BenA View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 09:19
Aye - LHD never been a problem me - very easy to get used to.
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 09:12
I, and loads of others on here, have no problems at all with driving a LHD in the UK, I kinda like it to be honest!  you're nice and high up, not realistically going to do much overtaking...

much better vans available in LHD (Westies!)
Llamapup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llamapup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 08:55

How much of a problem is it driving a LHD camper in the UK?  I will be using it as a second car, so it will get driven 2 or 3 times a week for commuting and for general errands etc. I live in Leeds, so this will include all the joys of urban driving (traffic, short trips, etc).  Is a LHD T3 worth considering in these circumstances?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>