The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear fog lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emjaiuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear fog lights
    Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 10:12
I've only just noticed my new T5 has only got one rear fog light. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on what's involved im making the other one work?

Why do they do this? I understand if one side is used for a reversing light, but when everything is there!!!!!!!
08 LWB T32 130
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 12:30

AFAIK the reason for having only one fog light (and it should be on the driver's side) is to help the following driver's recognise what they are seeing when approaching the vehicle in front:

1 bright light on 1 side only = fog light

2 lights (1 on each side) = tail lights

3 bright lights  (1 on each side plus one higher light in the middle) = brake lights

In conditions of poor visibility you can't always rely on the perceived brightness of lights to discern whether they are brake or normal tail lights. 

Add in the possibility of the centre brake light having a blown globe and two brake lights could easily be mistaken for fog lights (or vice versa) if everyone has two fog lights. 

Worse case scenario is a shunt up the rear because the driver behind you can't decide whether you have your brakes on or are just displaying fog lights. 

I don't know what it is like in GB, but here in Oz an awful lot of cretins like to drive with their (often dazzling) fog lights on even in very clear weather conditions. :(

Having only one rear fog light makes sense to me (unlike VW Golfs which only have 1 reversing light on the left side for RHD countries - useless for seeing behind you at night ! )

Edited by gregozedobe - 18 Aug 08 at 12:06
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 22:52
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

I don't know what it is like in GB, but here in Oz an awful lot of cretins like to drive with their (often dazzling) fog lights on even in very clear weather conditions. :(

Oh we have more than our fair share of jerks that like to use the rear fog lights at the slightest hint of mist around and then leave 'em on for a few days, like a badge of honour 'look at me, I've been out in the fog', pratts. Exclamation

Invariably the ones that somehow manage to find the rear fog-light switch are the same ones that don't seem to be able to find the indicator stalk at roundabouts!

Worst offenders are the 4x4 drivers, especially women in big buggers like A8's, Range Rovers and Tourag's.

Quite simply, if you can see other vehicles around you then rear fogs are not needed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say rear fog light are not needed in the UK now. 40 years ago when they were first introduced then yes, pea soup fog was quite common, but not nowadays.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 08 at 12:05
Maybe the fog light switch should be connected to an external fog sensor AND a high voltage shock generator - if you try to switch your fogs on when it isn't foggy then your hand gets electrocuted !

Hey, I should be in charge of the world, I could fix all the cretins PDQ with ideas like that :)
 Post Reply Post Reply