The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eurotunnel crossings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACM Bod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eurotunnel crossings
    Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 14:56
Hi all,

Has anybody used the eurotunnel in their T5??
The Reason for the question is height related
To get the best deals on  a day return ticket your vehicle needs to be 1.85m or less
I've measured my van at about 1.89m should i

A/ Be sensible and book with the vehicles above 1.85m and be parked amongst lorries and the like.(and pay a lot more for the journey!)

B/Book as a vehicle up to 1.85m and risk turning my van into a convertible! as i try to get onboard the train.Ouch

C/Try to gain an extra 40mm by deflating the tyres prior to boarding.

D/Forget it and go on the ferry.

Anyone got any first hand knowledge of this service i would be grateful for their input.

Thanks

PS Will easily achieve 1.85m on the return trip with the help of the Le HypermarketsSmile
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 00:02
Book on line, a day trip mid week is only £27.00 each way for 185cm plus

The lorries go on a different train all together at 185cm plus you will travel with campers 4x4's and car with roof boxes

Video of me going across in my T5 here Clicky  

Edited by Mr Hedgehog - 14 Aug 08 at 00:06
Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
ACM Bod View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACM Bod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 18:13

Thanks Mr H ,

I've looked again at the online booking and the best midweek deal appears to be between £39 and £44 each way for vans more than 1.85m in height.
I can get prices of between £22 and £27 pounds each way for vans up to 1.85m in height.
However it does seem  from your video that more than adequate clearance exists when you actually drive onto the train.
I note that minibuses and camper vans cannot be booked under 1.85m in height but that even at over 1.85m in height the prices are down to the levels that you have indicated.
I see from your photo that you qualify for the better rates.
It seems that the poor old van driver is being targeted presumably to cut down on booze cruisers? Though i'm sure you can get just as much booze in a camper/minibus!
Many thanks for the information, the video was an un expected bonus and appreciated.

Now where did i put the tin snips!

Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 18:24
Originally posted by ACM Bod<FONT size=+0>  
<DIV><FONT size=2>However it does seem  from your video that more than adequate clearance exists when you actually drive onto the train.</FONT></FONT>[/QUOTE ACM Bod 
However it does seem  from your video that more than adequate clearance exists when you actually drive onto the train.[/QUOTE wrote:

Hi ACM
If you book at under 185cm you will go on the double decker t

Hi ACM
If you book at under 185cm you will go on the double decker train where there is no were as much clearence as the single level ones those tin snips may well be needed to miss the air vents on the roof of the train as they are very low mate 

Edited by Mr Hedgehog - 14 Aug 08 at 18:25
Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
ACM Bod View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACM Bod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 00:06
No worries mate,

Knocking up bed and cupboards as we speak,

quick trip to army and navy!  sorted!!!

"voila" one T5 camper van!
glass View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 08 at 21:59
I always go with the commercials, work in Calais quite a bit
http://www.windscreendorset.co.uk
often imitated, never equalled
testarossa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 00:04
Eurotunnel for £50 return!  unheard of. Last time(2006) I used it, it was £170 at the gate on emergency, since then vowed never to drive that far to cross again.
A190,GTI,T4 Quicksilver102,A4,Fourtrack,Alfasud
 Post Reply Post Reply