The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Problem
    Posted: 08 Aug 08 at 10:45
Hi All,

Problem is this:-

With the side or headlights on indicators don't flash but the horn works.
With the lights off horn doesn't work but indicators do.

Has anyone experienced similar issues please.

Cheers

Andy
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 08 at 11:06

first thing i'd check is earths. if its happend all of a sudden its most likely somethings come loose/corroded.

"LT Massive"
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 08 at 11:07
....also have a look at the headlite relay.
"LT Massive"
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 08 at 11:29
Main beam relay definitely works, is there one for the dipped beam as well?.
Had a look at the wiring diagram but its gibberish to me.
Andy Mel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 08 at 14:01
Hi Andy,

if you can find an autoelectrician i would have no hesitation in paying!!! I had all sorts of grief with my fuseboard and even after new boards and many wasted hours our thinking is new looms is the only way to determine what is going on. I'm up and driving but its not pretty behind the board - an end of season project looms so to speak!!
Just to clarify i work with electrics all day long but autoelectrics is a whole world of crazy logic - i wasted days for what could have taken hours..

Incidently if anyone has a copy of the VAG electrical manual for 1975 on vans i am desperately after one.. i managed to pick up one for feb '93 onwards vans if anyone needs a copy i'm sure a deal can be done..

Good luck

Andy
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 08 at 14:58
As said previously. Its a bad connection to the body that is causing this. Easiest way to confirm it, is take a length of wire and connect it to a good clean area of the body under a screw or bolt and then touch the other end on the side of the indicator bulb, then the headlamp negative and see when the fault clears. Then you know where to go and clean up contacts or straps to the body.

Something has a poor negative connection to the body and is finding its way via other stuff like other bulbs or horn, rather than down its negative wire.
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 08 at 15:21
Hi,

Thanks for your posts, checking the earth connections seems a good way to proceed, just got to find the little buggers. Van is 30 years old so chances are a few aren't so good.

Cheers

Andy
BenT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 23:31
Sounds like a problem common on many VW's especially T3's. Culprit is frequently the electrical portion of your ignition switch.
BenT
LT35 SWB Panelvan 2.0 Petrol engine
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 08 at 20:10
Thanks Ben,

Wondered about this cos apparently there is a ribbon cable which completes the connections.
Does anyone know how to test this and if its faulty obtain a new one.

Cheers

Andy
BenT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 07:23
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Thanks Ben,

Wondered about this cos apparently there is a ribbon cable which completes the connections.
Does anyone know how to test this and if its faulty obtain a new one.

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

The problem is usually in the contacts within the electrical part of the switch. IIRC it is encased in nylon or white plactic of some sort. I do not think it is time/cost effective testing because the part is not every expensive. Here in the US it runs about $10.

Cheers,

Edited by BenT - 17 Aug 08 at 07:24
BenT
LT35 SWB Panelvan 2.0 Petrol engine
SyncroSpares UK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 08 at 10:36
check for water dripping on the fusebox through the screen rubber,cj. 
AndyVan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
BCS Capt'n.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyVan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 08 at 18:02
...Haaa....beat me to it Ceej!!!....Yup check the whole fusebox is dry first!!!....I had a nightmare with mine when I had the old orange bus...had to fix it the night before our Ferry was booked for Jersey....a looooong night with hairdryers and a box of relays later it nearly worked!!!...LOL
BCS Gaffer and Volkswagen restoring bloke
 Post Reply Post Reply