The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil dipstick T5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windchaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil dipstick T5
    Posted: 27 Jul 08 at 12:04
Hi folks I have recently purchased a 2008   turbo diesel 5 cylinder T5 and am having a bit of difficulty reading the oil dipstick. Is it only the cerated section ( hope that is right spelling ) between the 2 arrows that gives the minimum -  maximum reading or is it the whole section between the 2 arrows. ( from delivery time when I first looked at the level I believe all I could see was oil on the cerated section )
Hope my question is clear .
If anyone could post a picture or give me a clear explanation I would be very grateful.
thanks in anticipation

Edited by Windchaser - 27 Jul 08 at 12:11
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 08 at 12:21
The oil level should be on the cross-hatched flat bit between the two alloy "bulbs".  The bottom (flat part) of the top bulb shows max(IIRC it is marked with "max"), similarly the bottom bulb shows mimimum.  For some reason dealers seem keen on over-filling mine, maybe they think it uses lots of oil (it doesn't).

Make sure you are using a VW 507.00 approved oil.

Edited by gregozedobe - 27 Jul 08 at 12:24
Windchaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windchaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 08 at 12:44
Thanks Greg, I hope I am understanding this correctly......between the 2 bulbs there is a flat section...of this flat section half of it is cross hatched....that is ...if the flat section is about half an inch between the two bulbs ...then the cross hatched part of that half an inch is about 1/4 inch........when I do my reading it seems that the oil covers all the cross hatched section ( 1/4 inch of the section between bulbs ) and nothing is on the non cross hatched section ( the other 1/4 inch of the flat section between the two bulbs ) hope this is not too confusing..does this mean oil is ok....1/4 inch seems small as an engine with half its oil missing would only show up as 1/8 inch of cross hatched section....hard to read 
thanks for any more info

Edited by Windchaser - 27 Jul 08 at 12:47
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 08 at 12:58
I find mind hard to read as the dipstick is black whoever thought of that needs a kick in the cobblers Smile
Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 08 at 13:01
Sounds like your engine has a very good oil level at the moment.

Anywhere between the two bulbs is safe, but the "ideal" oil level is somewhere on the cross-hatching (my preference would be near the top of the cross hatching).  Near the bottom bulb is approaching too low for comfort, while below the top of the bottom bulb is definitely too low and you need to add oil ASAP (VW 507.00). 

The actual oil level can go a lot further below what the dipstick shows, but that is getting even worse for the health of your engine.  I think the 5 cyl engine is supposed to have about 7.3 litres in it.  If the oil level was below the bottom of the dipstick it might still have about 5-6 litres left, which might not be enough to properly protect the engine in severe conditions.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

Mr HH, I agree with you 100% on the poor design of having a black dip stick to read the level of black oil.

Edited by gregozedobe - 27 Jul 08 at 13:06
Windchaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windchaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 08 at 13:12
Thanks Greg ....you have clarified it for me.....very much appreciated.

And Mr Hedgehog.....definitely agree with you.....very hard to read....wonder if it could be coloured white so that  hard of seeing blokes like me could get an easier read...

Got to say ...you blokes have a great forum.....I have been getting so much info from it..... there a a lot of cluey fellas out there.........am particularly impressed with you Greg....very informative......am looking forward to many years of good Volkswagen driving....cheersSmile
oddboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 08 at 13:37
Originally posted by Windchaser Windchaser wrote:

..wonder if it could be coloured white so that  hard of seeing blokes like me could get an easier read..

if its that hard to read ....should you be driving ?LOL
gone to the darkside
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 08 at 00:29
Oddboy, you wouldn't happen to be on the low side of 40 by any chance ? 

As some of us mature unfortunately our eyes get less flexible, and depending on the vagaries of the genetic lottery and which ticket we were issued with, we can either see close up or distance things, not both :(  For lots of people over the age of 50 it is the close up vision that deteriorates, so they can see to drive OK, but not close detail work. 

Anyway, surely you aren't trying to defend this particular piece of sh!t design by blaming the user (are you a VW henchminion) ? :)
oddboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 08 at 07:05
LOLLOL i need glass's to read.. but i can see my dipstick without them
but then mine has silver bobbles with a black bit inbetweenBig%20smile
gone to the darkside
shogun2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 08 at 07:23
"The actual oil level can go a lot further below what the dipstick shows, but that is getting even worse for the health of your engine.  I think the 5 cyl engine is supposed to have about 7.3 litres in it.  If the oil level was below the bottom of the dipstick it might still have about 5-6 litres left, which might not be enough to properly protect the engine in severe conditions."

Mine has just been in for the 30K service, and they put 9 litres in.  1 x 5 Litre and 4 x 1 litres.  The 4 x 1 litres is dearer than the 1 x 5 litres.  Ask them to use 2 x 5 litres and give you the 1 litre as a top up.
oddboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 08 at 09:13
why did they put 9 lt in if it only needs 7.3 ?%20...%20Shift+R%20improves%20the%20quality%20of%20this%20image.%20CTRL+F5%20reloads%20the%20whole%20page.
gone to the darkside
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 08 at 09:30
If the filter was changed it could be the extra oil went into the filter holder. Sometimes oil capacity is quoted as sump, then sump plus filter housing. I think I would be a bit peeved if they charged me for 4x1 tins. I would expect them to have commercial quantities of oil available in drums.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 08 at 10:12
Originally posted by shogun2 shogun2 wrote:

Mine has just been in for the 30K service, and they put 9 litres in.  1 x 5 Litre and 4 x 1 litres. 

I hope they didn't actually put 9 litres in, as that would have over-filled your engine by 1.6 litres - way too much !  Alternatively they have over-charged you (unless they gave you the extra oil).  Either way its not good.

I just checked my owner's manual, and in booklet 3.3 Technical data, page 26 under the heading "Capacities for engine oil with filter" it definitely says: 96kW, 128kW diesel engines - 7.4 litres.

I have had 3 oil changes (with filter) done so far on my 128kw 5 cyl van, and each time they put 7.5 litres in, which ended slightly over-full.

I agree with buying 2x5 litres being cheaper, that leaves 2.6 litres for the next oil change (or top ups if required).  This particular oil (VW 504.00/507.00) may not be available in bulk yet.  I believe it requires some special lubricating additives which are quite difficult to source.

Edited by gregozedobe - 28 Jul 08 at 10:15
 Post Reply Post Reply