The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

California

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: California
    Posted: 12 Jul 08 at 18:10
Right then its about time I showed you guys my california.

I got it back in november 2007, and have slowly been adding bits to it.

Its a 1.6TD, and came with the Audi wheels.

The 1.6TD was quite sick but doing the tappets, cam timing and pump timing has made quite a differance - I have a new turbo on order which I hope will see more boost that the 4.5psi I am getting at the moment.

So I have done:
Electric mirriors
Side planks
Colour coded the bumper planks and mirrors
SA lower grill
VW smoked front indicators
Eyebrow spoiler
Painted the front grills and lower spoiler
Smoked rear lights and blenders
Rear parking sensors
Lowered 45mm
AVO adjustable front and rear dampers

during the additions
Exterior finished

First full week away on west cost of France

I have also made a front cab hammock,  I have used some brackets from JK which are identical to the T2 westfaila ones.  I then made some telescopic poles and the hammock itself.  It holds my weight with ease (75Kg ish). It also packs away into the space over the rear matress (have a look at the pic)

Westy style brackets
Telescopic poles
All fitted

Where it lives.

That I think brings us upto date.

Future plans - I have the hankering to do a 1.9TDI conversion on it, possably HIds and I am considering changing the wheels back to multivan alloys - and that would be about it then.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 08 at 00:04
that looks sweet Thumbs%20Up
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Speshulbrew View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 08 at 18:31
nice van mate,i'm off down south of france in sept any advice?
chickenkoop View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 04:48
she looks great, nice mod, uber cool.
98, karmann Colorado,
89, T3 westy california
Brickin it in Cov.
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 08:26
Cheers Rob - I think I am almost there visully, but mechanically - I have a poly bush kit waiting to be fitted, and a gearlever repair kit. I have a turbo on order so that should fix my lack of boost.

I am still unsure about the final engine ie 1.9AAZ or TDI.  I know what the AAZ feels like in the bluestar, and fitting one of simons boost pins has made a huge differance, but it would not be the "ultimate" engine I could always have done better - but that better engine costs more like 3x more.  The engine will have to wait until we returne to England anyway, it looks like my contract will be extended for 1 year, so I will have another year to raid the German T3 parts bin.

Speshubrew - as far as advice for France - have a camping card international - it will save you having to hand over your passport at campsites and offers you insurance should you burn the place down it costs £7 i think, but you have to be a member of somthing like the AA, RAC to get one.  I cannot think of anything France specific, except that the shops are not open on sundays, so make sure you have enough food.  Campsites almost always have space - I can think of only 2 ocassions when we have not got onto the site we wanted even just turning up in about 20 years worth of trips.  Which part of south france are you aiming for?  Do you intend to travel in one go, or have a slow trip down?  If you go in one trip and plan to sleep rought for one night - pick your place carfully, there have bee horror stories. I would aim to bed down where there are either other people doing the same or where all the lorrys are safty in numbers,  I would not stop where you are the only one!!

chickenkoop View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 15:19
Smile hi, so your there for another year at least,yes i remember the bluestar, do you still have her? you've added some nice mods to the cal, she looks great,  keep in touch.
98, karmann Colorado,
89, T3 westy california
Brickin it in Cov.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 20:09
Great minds etc...
That's what I have sent scetches of to the machine shop!
The cab bunk that is, infact, I may send them that picture as it's a bit better than my sketch.
The brackets are also the same as what they used on a T3 anyway.
Glad the boost pin did the trick, nice easy mod.
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 20:29
Simon

I can try to take some better pictures if you like.
The tube was off the shelf standard sizes.  The small tube is a little to small for my likeing and I had to weld some spaces on so that they were a snug fit, but it works like a charm.
As I have said they take my wait about 75Kg with no issues - where would be some mods I would make if I were to do it again.

If you like I could take some measurments of mine you have them for comparison.

I cant actully belive how much different the boost pin has made - it now drives much more like a TDI rather than TD.  But that also means you "I" boot it everywhere because its fun!

I am sure this where I will end up with the engine in the cali when it gets changed but it will probably depend on what I can find when I am back in blighty with my nice garage and tools!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 08 at 02:55
jc    i'm off down south to port grimaud,via the millau(wanna go over that bridge mate!)where do i get one of them camping card internationals from mate?i am a member of the AA and i've european cover,jus in case!yeah i've heard a cuple of hoorror stories too,so i've just invested in a baseball bat & ball from Aldi,bless em  .jus in case i start feeling all sporty lol.am gonna check online about campsites on my route down otherwise i'll do as you advize and park wher theres plenty of people,never drove round france so i' m unsure how i'm gonna play it,see how it goes really.Thanks for the advice anyway mate
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 08 at 06:42
If you ring up the AA they should be able to issue you with a Camping Card International.

I have always wanted to do the Millau, but have yet to visit that part of France - its ament to be amazing.

The other thing to think about is having a rachet strap (only a small inch wide jobby) to go around the door pulls of the front door, use them when you are going rough - if some one does break in (the fronts I think are the easy targets) there is something in the way so they won't beable to open the door with out wakeing you and giving you enought time to get your said bat!

Have a great time.  and take some picture of your van on the bridge!!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 08 at 11:38
many thanx for the advice mate,cracking idea about the ratchet straps,i'll post ya some pics of the bridge!were travelling south and then heading towards amsterdam via italy,austria,swiss,germany,belgium.cant wait!think we gonna take about 6 weeks. thanx again
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 08 at 18:45
well if you want to pop in we live on the German Belgium border (Aachen) - your more than welcome.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 08 at 02:07
nice one jc  PM me ure address and we'll try and call in,there'll be plenty of veedub crack thanx for the invite
 Post Reply Post Reply