Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 09 at 08:50
will do, and thanks again!
RichardN View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 09 at 09:09
Just to stick my oar in again, I have put mine straight and, although logically you would think it would make it easier for the pole to fall out it seems really secure even like that.

I did it straight because 1) it seems to catch less on the seatbelt clip and 2) angling it would have meant I had to stretch the canvas even further to get it in and at the time that looked to be a problem. Obviously as time passes this should stretch a bit and easier to get in. If you are making your own then this is less of a problem.

Anyway, if my son fall out of the bunk a few times I might get around to changing it.Wink

Richard

kathyshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 09:48
cheers richard ;-)
hopefully fit mine this weekend.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 09 at 14:25
well, took me 3 hours this morning, but I did it!  Finally managed to fit the cab bunk!  So chuffed with myself. Embarrassed

Still got some work to do, as I had to unbolt my cooker unit so as to allow my highback seats to recline enough to get the poles in, but wanted to be sure it worked.  Tomorrows task is to make a new canvas with some holes cut in for the seat backs to pop through.  Hopefully it will be a success after all this mornings efforts.  Think i might make is slightly wider and longer too, just a smidge.
Must say I found it a bit difficult to do, but got there in the end.  My top tip is to use a bit of bluetac to hold the brackets in place ones you think their right, so you can offer the poles up just to be sure.
Summer was asleep so i couldn't put her in to check it, but will do tomorrow after my sewing.  Fingers crossed!!!
Thanks guys, for all your help!! Clap

Edited by kathyshack - 21 Feb 09 at 14:26
RichardN View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 00:04
Congratulations - I'm glad it worked out for you.

Don't forget to post some pics once you've got the canvas sorted out.

Richard

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 09:35
Cheers Richard.
Gonna set to with the canvas later today, so will defo post some pics if it works. he he
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 20:34
Top job!!  Clap
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 20:54
Done the canvas this afternoon. All seems to work fine.  Seems strong enough.  It was dark by the time we finished it, but heres a few pics:-

Tried to get little summer to go in it,but she's having none of it!!!! Cry

Will try again with her tomorrow!  Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again for all the tips and advice,
kathy
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 22:32
Lovin it Cool

if you've got curtains/thermo's that go round the windscreen/door windows, then your little one will live it I'm sure.  Turns it into a proper little 'den'.  My boy loves it.  Have you made a  new canvas?  That looks like it's got more slack in it.  Just thought I'd ask, as the JK one will sag a fair bit - even though it very taught at first, but ours is just right now.  just wondering if you can get too much sag? so to speak Embarrassed  
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 08:20
Hiya Chappy, yeah there is quite a bit more sag in the one i have made.  Did it like that on purpose as i knew after seeing her face with the jk canvas in place that she'd totally not be for going in it.  I thought if it had a bit more sag it might look a bit more inviting as it'd look like it had more space if you know what i mean.  Easy enough to take it up a bit, - just sew a new channel in further down on the window side.  Well thats the plan anyway. he he

Gonna try sum again later. will put thermo screens in, and plan is to put duvet, dummy's and teddys in there to entice her in LOL  if that fails, might have to stick a bit of choclate in there. LOL!  She was like this last year with the rear bunk i made over our boot section, but she learned to love it.  Just hoping the same happens here!

Kathy ;-)
Syncro up View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 11:17
Just had a look at the JK website and they seem to be back in stock. but there are now two cab bunks. the ones above (like Chappy's) appear to the ones for the Bay window, and now theres one for a T3. The difference is the T3 one has circular poles from end to end and rather instrusive cups for the poles to sit in. not at all as nice and discrete as the bay option.

T3, part number J11494
Bay, Part Number J11825

Roughly the same price.
Sorry if this is old news.

I think i'd be inclinded to go to B&Q and get some wardrope pole and cups and make my own canvas rather than buy the T3 one from JK. 
Still think the Bay one looks much nicer.
Not sure how i can make these beds work for me. i have a 10 month old and really need to put sides on the bed somehow as shes more likely to crall out it when she awake rather than fall out it when shes asleep.
Alastair
Life is like a toilet roll...

The closer it get to the end, the faster it goes.

'87 RHD 2.1 Syncro Moonraker

'91 RHD AAZ Syncro Single cab pick up
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 12:33
when summer was about 10 months old, we made a front bunk which used caravan bunk type u shaped brackets.  I attached these to the cab doors on the doorcards.  I used 2 pieces of wood to hold it in place instead of metal bars. I made like a material box shape, with material sides on.  The wooden batons took the weight of the bunk, and the side were there just to stop her crawling outlike you say. These attached to the front grab handles and also to 2 handles i attached just above the entrance to the over cab area (mines a hightop).  This panel had some net curtain type material stiched in which created a kind of window so she could see what was going on.   just had a look for some pics but can't find em at the moment.  It Worked ok for a few months, but then we managed to get a travel cot which fitted in the van (twins slider so slightly more room than normal). 

last year we progressed to a bunk which went over the boot section.  We slept with our heads at the other end so our feet went underneath her.
This worked really well, apart from a couple of times when she decided to climb in with us!  On the plus side i could sit up and deal with any problems without having to get out of bed etc.  She'll be 3 in may and is a bit big really, and last thing i want is he climbing in with us again this year as i'm pregnant at the mo, so already not much room in a 3/4 bed!

Knowing what i know now, i think i would go with a cab bunk but sew an extra piece of fabric on whch can then be attached higher up so as to stop her crawling out.  I'd probably have to make this transparent in some way prob by putting a net cutain type panel in, as she gets a bit claustrophobic....

As regards the new bunk. just managed to coax her into it after lots of persuasion, and a minty aero LOL

Hope that is of some help,
kathy
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 20:50

[/QUOTE]

Ahh bless her! LOLLOLLOLLOL How many puppies did you threaten to get her in there - she looks stunned!!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 20:50

PS - lovin those seats.  What are they??

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 21:45
Originally posted by Chappy Chappy wrote:

PS - lovin those seats.  What are they??

Thanks.  I bought em a while back off Mr baxter.  They're porsche seats out of a 911 or someat i think.  They are really comfy and wired up so you can adjust them electronically. Cool

Originally posted by Chappy Chappy wrote:

Ahh bless her! LOLLOLLOLLOL How many puppies did you threaten to get her in there - she looks stunned!!

ha ha, she looked pretty scared to go in to be honest, and I was beginning to think that all my hard work had been for nothing.  Had to bribe her with a mini minty aero! he he.  She came round though and later today even asked to go in her new bed in the van!  Heres hoping she takes to it.
Just out of interest, how do you put your little lad in?  she wouldn't go in unless i opened the passenger door and put her in that way!  She is defo nervous getting in and out of it, but hopefully after shes slept in it a few times, she'll get over it. 
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 22:04

We just set it all up, pull the curtains and chuck him in sideways (from the inside of the van).

Looks bothered by it doesn't he? LOL

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 09 at 08:27
he he he.  loving it.  He looks so cute.  Just been showing the pics to little summer. she now says she might sit up in hers too.  she was more interested in his blue dummy though!LOL
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 09 at 21:05
Big smile
Syncro up View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 14:29
KathyShack. thans for the ideas. yea would ideally like to put a parcelshelf style bed in for her simply to keep her near us but im 6'4 so sleeping the other way round really is not an option.
will look into your suggestion of a lower style cab bunk with side netting.
ta
Alastair
Life is like a toilet roll...

The closer it get to the end, the faster it goes.

'87 RHD 2.1 Syncro Moonraker

'91 RHD AAZ Syncro Single cab pick up
Torkijo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 13:17
Hi Folks

Resurrecting this one again, but what age are these good for?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>