The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seal Recall for T30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyTease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seal Recall for T30
    Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 16:25
I was in dealer today sorting out waher problem and they informed me that I will also need to have a engine seal replaced. VW have called  a recall as the seals have been leaking and water and oil has been mixing. My Van was purchased in Aug 2007 brand new so it maybe worth contacting your dealer. I will let you know further information after Tuesday.
Andy
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 19:54
interestin to know which seal
if its the one on the water pump im gonna be well pissed as i just changed the pump
AndyTease View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyTease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 08 at 21:24
Just to let you know, the seal that has been replaced in my van today was the oil coolant seal. Recall has been issued.
Andy
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 08 at 00:35
Originally posted by AndyTease AndyTease wrote:

Just to let you know, the seal that has been replaced in my van today was the oil coolant seal. Recall has been issued.

Hello Andy,

Do you know if the seal was the one between between the engine block and the oil cooler, or somewhere else ? 

When I got the oil in the coolant in my Oct 2006 build they replaced the oil cooler/engine block seal when they replaced the oil cooler, so I hope I didn't get a dodgy one.

If you had the recall Id that would be very helpful to us all (it is typically a 3 or 4 digit alpha and numeric combination like "90D7").
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 08 at 18:13

Yes that would be good to know as Greg says.  That would prove it was actually a recall which it might well not be.

Just to explain for info:  The manufacturers have an agreed code of practice (voluntary) where they will recall vehicles where a fault is found that could directly affect safety.  This means they will contact DVLC so that the owner of every vehicle affected can be notified.  This prompts the recall the number that Greg mentions.  This top level is a true recall and is only ever used when there is a real danger of a fire/brake failure/sudden engine failure/steering failure etc or other things that could cause a serious accident   In fact, some manufacturers have to be virtually shamed into it at times.  Remember the Clio bonnets flying open?  Still not a recall!  My own turbo pipe failure could have got me killed but wasn't the subject of a recall for months although the Oncall VW breakdown guy clearly knew all about it when I rang them.

There are several other levels that aren't actually a recall.  Advice to workshops called Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are just VWs way of keeping the dealers informed of various pitfalls and fixes, and there are also "Campaigns" which is where as vehicles that come into the workshops for servicing etc get checks and updates for various non-saftey related items.   

It sounds like the oil cooler seals will fit into this last category.

Almost all of these things are engine number/chassis number/componant manufacturer related so may only affect a few vehicles each time.  

Edited by T5 TDI - 24 Apr 08 at 19:06
2004 2.5 174
AndyTease View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyTease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 08 at 20:39

Yeah it was the seal between the oil cooler and the engine block. The service manager was saying that customers who had purchased T30 would be getting contacted by letter. I happened to call in to see about washer pump and when they where checked my reg they then informed me that this need to done. T5 TDI could be right it may only affect a few vechiles but they seemed to be contact quite a few customers by all accounts.  

Andy
canda View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 08 at 13:05
Just been in to VW Van Centre Lancashire for the first interval service and was advised of need for Oil cooler seal recall.  We've a T30 2.5TDi (Feb 07).  Booked in for next Wednesday and advised it could be  a 2 hour or a 6 hour job depending on what they find. 
Keep on rocking!

T5 2.5TDi T30 Devon Conversion
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 08 at 11:59
just wonderin if mine is covered by any recall notices as mines an import modelConfused
anybody know????
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 08 at 21:39

I wonder if older vans are covered?  I can't spare my van at the moment but as soon as I can I'm going to check.  Assuming my early van is  one that is affected it'll be a good test of VW's commitment to its customers once they are out of warranty.   I'll report back here. 

2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 08 at 21:13
It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get back to Cornwall and I'd rather not use a London dealer that doesn't know me or the van.   I can't spare the van while I'm working so I'll just be watching the oil/coolant levels until then.  Has anyone else with an out of warranty van had an answer?   
2004 2.5 174
excalibur View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excalibur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 08 at 19:20
It is an oil cooler replacement on the 2.5 engine. It is not a recall but a workshop action so you will be informed when you book in for any service or repair work if it is needed on your vehicle. As far as I am aware letters are not being sent out on this

If you are concerened then contact your dealer and ask them to check on ELSA/FISH for any outstanding workshop actions.

If it hasn't started leaking then it is about a 2 hour job, if it has then its a bit longer as the system needs flushing. No need for everyone to get in a panic because its only a small percentage that have failed, this is a pro active thing being done by VW
excalibur View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excalibur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 08 at 19:22
T5 TDI recals and workshop actions apply to all vehicles regardless of warranty status
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 08 at 19:58
Thanks for clearing that up Mr big sword Big%20smile   I'll see what happens in a couple of weeks.  What chance do you think I will have of getting my water pump changed too?  I'm pretty sure it will fail sooner or later.  It does lose water very slowly over time.   I reported it but no fault found.  I'm on 42K with a huge history of faults/breakdowns. 
2004 2.5 174
excalibur View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excalibur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 08 at 20:08
T5 TDI is yours less than 4 years old?

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 08 at 20:22
4 years and 4 months.....
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 08 at 12:35
Originally posted by excalibur excalibur wrote:

If it hasn't started leaking then it is about a 2 hour job, if it has then its a bit longer as the system needs flushing.

"a bit longer" -  that is the understatement of the year   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Mine went back 5 times, the workshop had it for over 12 days and I had to drive it hard (ie caning it) over 1,000Km before all the oil was gone out of the coolant.  Shocked    I was NOT a happy camper, to say the least ! Angry

I'd recommend you ask if it applies to your van and get it done before your oil cooler fails, as based on my experience it is an absolute PITA once it leaks.
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 08 at 09:39
well at least it aint a total recall yet thank fook i think its one to keep an eye on
Fast[Plumber View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 08 at 22:14
My 54 plate swb 174 is not on the recall list
Asked my stealer to do it if it was- computer says no!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 08 at 22:21

If your dealer is right FP then it sounds like like VW is saying that four years is considered a normal time for an oil cooler to fail. (Which it's not).  Unless the early vans didn't get the faulty oil cooler which sounds a bit unlikely to me. 

I'll see what they say about mine when I get back home in a weeks time.  
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 08 at 14:06
It seems VW Australia are aware of this oil cooler problem, but refuse to issue a "workshop action" ( or anything else).  It appears they would rather let them fail and hope some are out of warranty so they don't have to pay.  My dealer is very unhappy about the situation, but can't force VWA to do the right thing.  So even though I didn't have to pay as I was covered under warranty, I was still severely inconvenienced by them having my van 5 times to work on it.  It would be worse for those out of warranty !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>