FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How long can battery run eberspacher?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long can battery run eberspacher?
    Posted: 19 Apr 08 at 18:51

The alternator won`t charge the leisure battery to full capacity. The onboard Westy charger will sort it out if you get it hooked up for a day or two. If you really pancake the battery it can be terminally damaged   That`s the reason the Eber shuts down, or won`t fire up, when it detects less than 10.5 Volts.

Edited by Joker_Club
Sunny Lancs
andycaddock View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycaddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 08 at 08:47
Originally posted by CaliforniaDream CaliforniaDream wrote:

It is very important to slow charge (over several days) any battery before accurate testing can be made. Max charge should be 10% of amp/hour rating for reliable long term use without damage. Rapid chargers or boosters should only be used in cases of emergency.

Martin

martin, when you say slow charge, how do you mean?
if i use all the power up and then go for a good run in the bus, will this be ok or is it a problem?
RichardN View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 08 at 13:21

Martin,

I know the device you are talking about - it looks like something they would use on your genitals when you are tied to the rack . But I was actually meaning a device the local place has which looks like a big multimeter and can test all sorts of things Batterywise.

I must admit I didn't realise the thing with the prongs could damage a battery though. I will make sure not to let them use it on mine next time.

Richard

< =text/>

Dezzie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dezzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 08 at 18:40

If you can find out the WATTAGE of the appliance, divide that by 12 (volt). That will give you the Amps per hour that the appliance will use. So for example ...lets say the heater was 60 watt.......

60w divided by 12v   =   5 amps per hour.  That means that the heater will use up 5 'amps per hour' to run it.

To see how long it will run on your leisure battery ....

Divide that 'amps per hour' figure by the size of your battery (lets say you have an 85 amp hour (ah) leisure battery.

So.... 85 divided by 5 = 17 hours.   You should be able to run a 60watt heater on an 85 ah battery for 17 hours.  However, when the battery becomes really low, it will not have the power to run it anymore, and will shut down.  So,....in reality, you'll probably get 14 / 15 hours out of an 85 ah battery. 

Just remember.   Wattage divide by 12volt = amps per hour. Divide that by size of battery (amp hour) to give hours of useage.

Also remember, if you're running lighting, water pumps etc. etc., that figure will reduce.

Matt.  (Jacksons - Caravan Parts & Accessories.)

I'll slow down for Horses, when they pay some ***kin' road tax !
vito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 08 at 13:55

Hi  Richard / Martin.

I head away tomorrow so not got time for more research

Following your post, i am considering hooking up at home overnight to charge the battery as much as poss, and heading to a camp site that allows fires!. But for the future, are you aware of any battery maintenance products that can manage the recharging / refreshing of the leisure battery?

I will look into hydrometer testing on my battery but for now its back to old school camping ( with a fridge, gas cooker, double bed, flourescent lighting etc   )

Thanks for reading!

Vito 

CaliforniaDream View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaliforniaDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 23:20

Oh dear! the dreaded drop tester.

Two probes and a ferc.....off big resistor! the death of many a good battery I'm afraid and not a very good test of battery fitness (a brand new but partially charged battery will fail this test)

These motorist discount places rely on your ignorance and you not  knowing about the downside of such a drastic and unreliable test, this is so that they can miss-diagnose and sell you a replacement, it all looks very convincing.

The most reliable indicator is to check battery electrolye with a hydrometer, fully charged specific gravity should read 1.280. The most important factor is ballance between cells, all should have very much the same reading indicating a healthy battery, cells with considerable variations indicate poor battery condition or even a 'dead cell' state.

It is very important to slow charge (over several days) any battery before accurate testing can be made. Max charge should be 10% of amp/hour rating for reliable long term use without damage. Rapid chargers or boosters should only be used in cases of emergency.

Martin

Edited by CaliforniaDream
On wings like angels whispers sweet

my heart it feels a broken beat

Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep

Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

RichardN View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 16:02

A voltmeter doesn't really test the battery properly. You need to do a load test as well. After all, it's not the voltage in the unused battery, it's what you get when things are running (or particularily when the eber starts up as that takes a considerable amount of amps). It doesn't take much to drop the voltage below the eber cut out point.

Pop into your nearest battery supplier as most have a special tool for testing batteries under different conditions. It only takes a few minutes so most will do it for free (especially if you make them think you are going to buy a new one).

Richard

< =text/>

vito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 12:30

Thanks Richard,

I think i will go for it this weekend, i might see if kwikfit can do a free battery health check. Still contemplating disconnecting the main battery this evening  down at the yard where the immobiliser was installed and seeing how it affects the immobiliser. At least this will guarantee i can get away again.

Any ideas on battery health check with a standard voltmeter?

RichardN View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 11:19

The lights are (or should be if no-one has messed about with your electrics) powered from the main battery. You can change it so they do work from the leisure battery but that involves cutting wires so it's up to you if you want to risk it. See the thread on the Westie section for details.

How long your eber works for depends on the power in the leisure battery. If it is fully charged and a reasonably high amp battery you should be ok for a weekend (and probably longer). It depends on how much you run the heater and whether you go out on trips which will charge the battery up again. It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. Don't forget that anything else you run from the leisure battery will affect the time the eber will run. So putting the lights through it or having a TV or DVD player running will considerably  shorten the time. The heater has a cutout relay that stops the heater working if the battery drops below a certain voltage (I think it's about 11V).

Richard

< =text/>

vito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 10:31

Hi. First post BTW.

I have had my westy for a few weeks and have been camping on sites with elec hook up. Everything works!

This week i plan a bit of wild camping and wonder about the leisure battery under the drivers seat. Without elec hook up how long can i expect it to power the eberspacher, and also do the interior flourescent lights power from the same battery or are they powered by the main battery??

I could disconnect the main battery to see but i'm a wee bit worried this might do somethhing to the immobiliser.

Thanks for reading!

Post Reply Post Reply