Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX-to-AAZ kits, finally!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JX-to-AAZ kits, finally!
    Posted: 12 Apr 08 at 12:16

In the kit you get.

• Longer oil return line for the turbo.
  • Block Bung.
  • Spigot shaft bearing.
  • Throttle lever for injection pump, with a small amount of adjustment, 3mm steel, zinc plated.
  • Cable holder to hold cable to injection pump, 3mm steel, zinc plated.
  • Engine lid cover, for after you have made a hole to clearance the LDA, 1mm zintec steel with 10x 4.8mm rivets to fasten it down with (you will need to use some sealer to achieve a smell free cabin.
  • A piece of sound deadening to attach over the lid cover, to keep the noise down.

I know they have taken ages, as usual with these things, and engineering shops I keep getting messed about, drawings have taken ages as my mate did them on the side, then I have had to find a machine shop that would do small orders at a price where I could sell them at a price you lot may buy them at!!

I have 9 in stock.

I have used this design, but hand made on the last 3-4 AAZ installs I have done and it has worked well.

The throttle levers take away the ugly bit of the conversions I have seen that others have done, no more messing welding bits, joining bits, cables at funny angles, you simply strip away the top spring from the throttle mechanism on the top of the pum and replace it with my lever, then bolt the cable holder to the head part of the pump, you may need to chop your bolts down as there are a few different designs from the factory, with different brackets, my brackets will fit them all, but you'll have to sort the bolts.

Oil return line you know about already, AAZ is 19mm or so taller than a JX, so if you use the JX oil return line it put it under stress, my return line is a bit longer for a nice run back to the sump, it comes with new adapeters for the turbo and sump, these MUST be used as the sealing faces on the pipe are standard and the faces VW use are a bit weird, if you don't use the adapters it will leak!

Lid cover... Thing is, where you need to have that extra bit of room it's right between the ribs, so, my cover doesn't need to be so big, but the only way to make it look nice and be simple to fit and get in the right place is to make them like this.

By the time you have fitted the cover and the sound deadening youe engine cover will be 2-3mm taller so if you have a westy your not going to feel the lump in the bed. You will not need this lid cover for a syncro, or a pick up so I will put a few different variants of the kit on the webshop to suit your needs.

I will be adding them to the shop in the not too distant future along with a full on master kit that will contain filters and gaskets, crank pulleys and bolts, basically everything you need to do the job except some oil and coolant, it will also come with a guide as to where to clearance your inlet manifold.
Buy an engine, buy a Master kit, some oil and coolant and so long as you have a decent van to start with thats all you should need.

I will also be offering a JX exhaust manifold refacing service as 90% of the instals we do we end up having to reface the manifold as they warp, I do that many that I have had the local engineering shop make a jig for this very purpose.

Like a dick, I forgot to bring my costings home from work, so no prices yet but the levers and lid cover will be in the region of £55 ish.

I also need to weigh it all before i add it to the shop.

Levers will also fit 1Y.

I don't have any pics of the levers installed, I might be able to find some that i hand made somewhere, I will post these later.

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 08 at 20:25

Right, found some pictures.

Kit will also come with comprehensive fitting instructions, technical data sheet and a grinding template for the JX inlet manifold, so you shouldn't get stuck for tightening torques etc.

general view of engine.

Looks good huh?, looks almost factory? thats what we are aiming for!

Closer view of throttle lever and cable holder.

Please note these levers were hand made, they ain't as pretty as the new zinc passivated ones.

View of engine lid.

This one shows the engine lid cover rivetted down, then sound deadening pad applied to the top to keep the noise down.

Second view of engine lid.

This one is to reassure Westy owners that they won't be able to feel the increase in height of the engine lid through their mattress!!

Breather pipe.

This one is to show what we have been doing with our recent conversions to try to overcome the engine running on it's own oil problem, seems to be working a treat!

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 08 at 21:59

Nice to see the complete kit ready for everyone. It's taken a bit of tweaking to get to this point but as Baxter says, we've taken the hard work out for you guys

MG

HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 08 at 18:51
Yes Mike, that is a well worthwhile kit of bits for prospective JX to AAZ'ers...  it's always the twiddly bits that try your patience and your timescale on conversions!

Quote I will also be offering a JX exhaust manifold refacing service as 90% of the instals we do we end up having to reface the manifold as they warp, I do that many that I have had the local engineering shop make a jig for this very purpose.

Agree heartily with that too, having spent about a Month of Sundays flatting mine off by hand . It can be done by hand (see 80-90 Wiki) but few have the patience, time or stupidity to do it that way

Well done that man, this will help transform the diesel upgrade work and worry load!
ringonotts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 08 at 21:02
Excellent stuff - Finally something available to us numpties that are silly enough to do our own engine changes :)

Quick question: My 1Y sits under the lid without needing a whole in the lid - i take it the AAZ fuel pump is a lot higher?

Tx

Ringo
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 08 at 21:12

see that shiney bit stuck up with the 4 bolts in it, thats the LDA, the bit that senses boost pressure and adjusts fuel accordingly, with a 1Y not having a turbo it doesn't have that bit.

1Y = no hump.

ringonotts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 08 at 22:13
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

1Y = no hump.

Tell me about it :)

1Y = cheap as chips.

Ringo
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 08 at 22:17
1Y+KKK K14+LDA = woosh.
andyluffs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyluffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 08 at 22:46

Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

1Y+KKK K14+LDA = woosh.

whassat then? I've got a 1Y is that a turbo conversion?

FIGHT APATHY! I would but I just can't be arsed

http://www.rmctf.org.uk/
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 08 at 22:53

1Y is more or less a AAZ, although there are internal differences in the engine, so long as you don't go daft there is no reason why you can't add a turbo and LDA type pump top and make it go a little better.

they won't stand up to massive boost like a AAZ will, but they can cope with it, aparently.

There is not many people who's info I trust, but from this guy I can.

Not tried it personally, but if he says so then i believe him.

andyluffs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyluffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 08 at 22:58
So in theory I could add an AAZ exhaust manifold + turbo, fit the LDA to my diesel pump and away I go? (obviosly not forgetting to plumb the oil and coolant to the turbo).
FIGHT APATHY! I would but I just can't be arsed

http://www.rmctf.org.uk/
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 08 at 23:05

JX would be better, AAZ would work, but look gash and you would have to bodge an exhaust up, JX would bolt together and look nice.

AAZ inj pump, or pump top with LDA

smokeyjon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokeyjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 08 at 00:27
Hello Baxter - Could you clarify - Does the throttle lever fit straight to an AAZ pump (ie without using any parts from the JX pump at all)?  I've got a HUGE lump through my engine lid at the moment.  It's no great problem as I've got a devon(?) r nr bed with a drawer over the lid, but it'd be nice to tidy it all up....

Cheers 
Still working (fingers crossed)...

AAZ Syncro Panel Van...
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 08 at 09:10
Smokeyjon,
Baxter is probably running around a bit waiting for No.2 baby to arrive :)

Just to answer for Baxter, yes these lever kits bolt straight onto your AAZ kit without using any JX parts. The kit consists of a lever and a bracket for the stock diesel throttle cable and a clearance patch for your engine lid with rivets and sound deadening.

The pics above aren't working at the moment (I'm sure Baxter will sort that asap) but the patch which goes on top of your engine lid is all of 1mm thick and with the rivets in place, you're probably looking at a 2mm protrusion above your stock engine lid height.. i.e. almost bugger all :)

MG
smokeyjon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokeyjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 08 at 11:08
Cheers Ghia.  No rush for me (it ain't broke so should I even fix it? Smile) - I'll speak to Mr Baxter whenever and it'll go on the neverending list.  I suspect I might also need to replace the accelerator cable as we shortened it to fit the AAZ pump
Still working (fingers crossed)...

AAZ Syncro Panel Van...
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 08 at 14:45
AAZ Bis here
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 08 at 22:19
pics are back, found em!
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 08 at 22:24

Clap

dancooper View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 10 at 21:59
hi

how can i buy one of these kits and how much is it

many thanks
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 10 at 22:04
all the bits are here:

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=59&Itemid=6&vmcchk=1&Itemid=3

Think they're all separate now as most people wanted different parts, ie not a full kit...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>