The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tailgate shelter help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tailgate shelter help?
    Posted: 04 Apr 08 at 23:10

I am looking for a very simple tailgate awning . is there anything out there like I have in mind or am i going to have to make it ??

I want a simple box shaped cover that hangs from  the open tailgate .

If i was to design it it would have magnetic strips to hold it onto the open tailgate and the side of the van and simply hang in place with maybe just 2 pegs at the corners and a simple zip opening .

Something like this would be perfect for getting changed under and cooking in the back of the van . Times when putting up a tent or proper awning is too much hassle .

there are lots of smart awnings out there but i want something really simple that would fit in small bag and stow under the seat .

Iam hoping that someone somewhere makes one or knows where i could get one made

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
roadmark69 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadmark69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 08 at 23:53
Hi I am getting one from Exploria that fits over the tailgate he has two types.I will get some pics and prices on Wednesday.
Mark Coates - Purveyor of mats for T3, T4 and T5 - E-mail - 07917542685
http://www.megavanmats.com/
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 00:54

Add-A-Cabana

cheers roadmark something like this , I found while searching but no uk dealer

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 00:55
Dam the photo didn't come out  but its called  add-a-cabana
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 07:59

http://www.addacabana.com/

What a good idea   I wonder if it's any good if it's windy?

Edit: Two more  http://www.camperconversions.net/ex_demo_vehicles.html

http://www.mazdabongo.com/display.products.php?pId=523

Edited by T5 TDI
2004 2.5 174
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 09:48

Hmmmmm, the 'Addacabana' looks too flimsy and a waste of money - I'm sure I could rig up something more practical myself...

£200 for the one from CamperConversions   

The Khyam one (mazdabongo) costs between £54 - £92   - here's the step by step erection destructions...

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/windbreak.htm

(hee hee, I said erection )

Edited by orangina
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadmark69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 10:29
That does not look as good as the ones I have seen at Exploria.I think the price was about £130 not sure though as I was pricing other stuff up at the time.
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 12:41
They are a good idea though. Having windows in might defeat the original purpose of privacy but the Bongo is attractively priced. I suppose it depends on how quick you can attain an erection (!) and whether you can keep it up a long time (fnarr fnarr) . I am all in favour of rear end attachments myself ( snurk snurk). As long as it goes up easily. (chrk chrk). 
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
wulmar View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 17:21
I seen something similar in B&Q for About A £5.00
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 21:33
Originally posted by orangina orangina wrote:

Hmmmmm, the 'Addacabana' looks too flimsy and a waste of money - I'm sure I could rig up something more practical myself...

£200 for the one from CamperConversions   

The Khyam one (mazdabongo) costs between £54 - £92   - here's the step by step erection destructions...

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/windbreak.htm

(hee hee, I said erection )

That sums it up .

they are all on the right path but lacking in some way .

The cabana is flimsy looking and looks little better than a sheet thrown over the top

Mazda bongo is just a screen open top and bottom and the velcro ??

I would like to see the camper conversions one , or some better pics , but the price is a bit OTT

Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 23:17
This was a nice looking prototype from Bilbo's a while back but did it ever get launched?  I don't think so.

ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 08 at 23:22
Or for the all-inclusive price of £19.53 you can have the side awning shown in my signature pic below that doubles as a tailgate shelter! 

Edited by Ex-car bloke
DOGSBREATH View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
gok wan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGSBREATH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 08 at 08:00

A good idear.......ECB's looks the best quality .  Where is that campsite ECB? i wanna go there.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadmark69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 08 at 08:53
The Bilbos one looks similar to the one Exploria has, except his goes over the tailgate and down the sides of the van.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 08 at 22:06
I go one just Liki that  ECB , yours must be the posh version at that price
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 08 at 23:11
Originally posted by DOGSBREATH DOGSBREATH wrote:

Where is that campsite ECB? i wanna go there.

It's in Norway, way up north somewhere.  It was taken at one in the morning if I recall right.  I need a holiday!!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadmark69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 08 at 19:02

I have two types of the rear awnings to take pics of they are both reimo and seem good quality.(I borrowed from Exploria).I still dont know the price he will let me know when I go to pick up my table.

I have found a picture of one of the awnings that Exploria sell, and I have this one myself to look at.

Edited by roadmark69
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 08 at 00:32

That looks like a freestanding model to me ?? 

Iam also thinking of a large drive away awning for the summer holls , any advice , its the way they attach to the van that interests me most , so many seem to need a gutter and clips and straps etc , I can imagine a lot of fuss and a scratched van

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadmark69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 08 at 07:56
It is not free standing,it just goes over the tailgate and pegs down.it does have two guylines.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 08 at 23:09

Originally posted by roadmark69 roadmark69 wrote:

It is not free standing,it just goes over the tailgate and pegs down.it does have two guylines.

oh yes i can see that now , its fitting tight over the top of the tailgate . its the right design although iam not totally convinced by the look or maybe its the colour , My missus just looked at the pic said it looked like a Punch & Judy tent 

I expect the price will kill it but fingers crossed eh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>