The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DG engine timing - just to confirm....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globbits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DG engine timing - just to confirm....
    Posted: 12 Feb 08 at 15:31
Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm used to aircooled engines and this water stuff has thrown me a little 

I have just fitted a recon DG engine in my bus (1.9 auto) and want to time it absolutely properly, to keep Elite VW happy. As I understand it, I do the following:
  • There are two notches on the pulley rim - approx 5 degrees apart
  • I put the right hand one of those in line with the crankcase split, then align the rotor arm so it's in line with the notch in the dizzy?
That statically times the engine
I then run the engine up, with the vac-advance hose plugged and the ignition stabiliser unplugged, with the two plugs connected to each other?

At this point, what should I be looking for at what revs?

Thanks in advance guys - the MOT's first thing tomorrow so I'm bricking it!!!

Richard

Edited by Globbits
Myrtle the wonderbus: Out with the AAZ, in with the SVX!
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 08 at 15:33
Just to confirm what?
Globbits View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globbits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 08 at 15:35
Sorry - pressed the wrong button 

Richard
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 08 at 15:55

Timing is 5 degrees BTDC, vac advance unplugged and the hose plugged.

Once you undo the vac hose, the revs will drop so you will need to speed it up with the idle speed screw.

get it warm, the timing being on the piss won't damage it just sat there idling.

Get it running, warm it through, I set timing when I am bleeding the cooling system, you need to set timing warm.

Once it's warm, temp gauge at half, auto choke off then start timing it.

If it's got DIS then unplug them and plug the wires together.

2 marks on the pulley, the big fat one, on the left is the TDC marker, the one on the right, the smaller one that looks like a chisel mark is the timing mark.

Ignore the timing mark, go off the fat one ( TDC mark)and set your timing gun to 5 dgrees, then align the big fat mark (TDC mark) to the join in the crank case at 850-900 rpm.

If you then set your gun to zero, and you have the right pulley on (because there is a chance the pulley is wrong and some of the timing settings do differ between engines) then the timing mark may or may not aligh with the case.

5 degrees is good for unleaded.

Once your set then connect vac advance back up, the idle speed should not shoot up so adjust it back to where it should be with the idle speed screw.

I should take about 2 minutes start to finish!

Globbits View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globbits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 08 at 16:03
You sir, are a star!
The previous engine was a DF, so I'll make certain the big fat mark is TDC before I begin timing (pencil in the spark plug hole and all that)

My timing gun isn't posh and only flashes at ignition. I take it then that all I do is make a mark on the pulley 5 degrees BTDC (to the right of the TDC?) and time it so that my new mark is on the case split at 850-900rpm and all is well?

Thanks as always!

R
clartsonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clartsonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 08 at 17:22

I think you can normally tell by the engine sound whether or not it is "about right" anyway can't you?   I mean you dont have a tachometer so how can you be sure you are not already idling at 1000 rpm? and not 850rpm.  I havew firmly believed that the reason mine cuts out after warm but not run for ages was due to the timing but no matter what I do it still behaves the same.  The timing gun I have is crap too, it has a wheel on it to adjust to match the speed of the engine.  but I found putting tipex on the notch works well enough.

btw how was the engine conversion to a DG from a DF I am considering the same but you need new carb etc dont you?,  and doesnt the water go through the inlet manifold on a DG but not on a DF?  or did you keep your old DF inlet manifold and carb and just change the block?

Globbits View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globbits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 08 at 09:08
Status report

Set the timing as per your instructions. My pulley only had one notch on and it was at TDC (checked using a pencil in #1 plug hole). Made a mark 5 degrees to the right of the notch, set that to be on the crankcase split and started her up. Ran like a charm!

Followed the rest of your instructions and I barely had to move the dizzy at all. It sounds lovely - even with the noisy tappets at the moment

Clartsonly. Long story, but my Caravelle had the DG pipework in place, but with a DF engine. It needed a replacement inlet manifold and then a couple of replacement pipes, but just because the old ones were perished. I'm afraid I don't know the proper layout of the DF engine enough to advise. All I can say is that the power difference, even moving her around the carpark, is very noticeable!!!!

Bring on the MOT! (PS Wish me luck!)

Richard
Skeeb View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
t4 guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 08 at 00:05
Globbits !!! are you happy with the service & engine you've  had from elite ??????
BCS Welsh massive
From Skeebville Nr Swansea
BCS shortest shortboarder 2006 ---
BCS Crap Surfer of the year 2007 !!!
BCS winner of nothing 2008 :(
BCS winner of nothing 2009 :(
Globbits View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globbits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 08 at 09:23
Hey Skeeb
Engine's now done a whole 50 miles and all seems well with the engine so far
As for Elite VW, that's a toughie. The engine itself is fine and half the price of the other "reputable" companies. But, I ordered it on something like 14th December and was told I might get it for Christmas! It arrived Feb 2nd , after many MANY excuses and "it'll be there this weekend"s. We actually ordered two engines from them and I'm having to drive there today (100 miles each way) to pick the other bloody one up because they "keep having problems with couriers"......

To be fair to them, I don't think they're set up to deal with individuals and our business is small in comparison with the large orders they supply companies. So, their service is poorer. This doesn't excuse them - just explains them.

That said, I would use them again, but I'd take my bus there and watch them fit it before I parted with any cash!

Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply