The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which t5 engine is most reliable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which t5 engine is most reliable
    Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 14:32

hi

which engine would you recomend? at the moment we have a 2.5 t4 102 bhp it has never let us down but we are thinking of selling it and getting a t5.

any advice would be great.

thanks jim

Freeley View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freeley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 19:03

We've been here several times before - concensus seems to be the 84 and 102 are the best!

There are plenty of 130 and 174 owners who don't agree mind.

09 California 174 Tiptronic Storm Blue (with everything including the kitchen sink)!
61 T30 LWB PV 140 Pure Grey.
104T28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 104T28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 19:04

Freeley's right and your Van Centre [off the record] will agree as well!

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 19:09
Originally posted by 104T28 104T28 wrote:

Freeley's right and your Van Centre [off the record] will agree as well!

Agree with that too, stick with the 4 pots for reliability. Much documented here and elsewhere on other forums...shame to miss out on the power though! Guess 5 cyl engines ok if still under warranty..

jwm123 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 19:27

sorry about the question, i thought the 4 cyl would be the one to go for.

thanks

jim

Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 20:39
I just did a 500 mile journey in my 104, sitting at 85 - 95 all the way. It's 9 hours and we stopped three times once for 10 mins and twice for about 5. That's a pretty constant speed for the van over a long time.

At that speed with the 5 speed box it sits at 3200/3300 rpm. I personally think that is a lot and is ragging the tits off the van. Going by this logic, doing this sort of journey I'd have thought the 5cyl 6spd box would be
more reliable because it is at lower revs than the 4 pot.

Any one care to comment?
starsKEY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsKEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 08 at 08:44

I would have to say the 2.5 is a much better engine to drive...

Especially on the long runs and motorways. Albal makes a good point - The 6th gear is a big plus.

People tend to find sites like this as their van has gone wrong, remember that.

Bear in mind that the flywheel issue is the same of many many modern vehicles, the water pump is a pain, but keep your eye on it and it isnt the end of the world if it goes, if you bought a trafic the whole gearbox fails regularly!

I had a very well maintained T4 that went wong lots....

People said the mk2 golf wasnt as good as the mk1 when it first came out, then they said the mk 3 wasnt as good as the mk2, then the mk4 wasnt as good as the mk3, the mk5 wasnt as good as the mk4. I'll tell you what though, my mk5 golf was much 'better' than my mk1 golf/caddy is! It is much more complex though, without a doubt, I've now changed it for an A3, which isnt without its niggles.....

Its not Aircooled, It's Airconditioned.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 08 at 13:52
Originally posted by jwm123 jwm123 wrote:

Which engine would you recomend? at the moment we have a 2.5 t4 102 bhp it has never let us down but we are thinking of selling it and getting a t5.

any advice would be great.

In theory the later version of either the 4 cyl or 5cyl motors should ( ) be more reliable then an earlier build, as VW should be coming up with improved components when they realize there is an inherent problem. 

Trouble is that it seems a problem has to be quite prevalent before VW will admit there is a problem and do something about it, particularly for their commercial vehicles.

As an example, the water pump on early build R5 motors was prone to seal failure, leading to coolant in the engine oil.  Touregs with an R5 motor had an upgrade which included a replacement (improved) water pump.  I am not aware of a similar program for the very same motor in early T5s (but am aware of "goodwill" payments being made for repairs after water pump failure).

If you are buying a used TDI (either 4 cyl or 5 cyl), I would suggest you satisfy yourself it has had regular oil changes with the correct (VW spec) oil, as these motors don't seem to like the wrong oil.

Also TDIs that are always driven gently may have more problems than those driven with a bit more enthusiasm (but avoid ones that have been abused).

I haven't heard much about it being a problem in T5s, but have read of a few Golf 2.0 TDI owners having problems with the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) clogging up if mostly driven in slow traffic (unable to generate enough heat to burn off the accumulated soot particles, plus sensor problems).  This may or may not be something to consider, depending on where and when you do all your driving.

JMHO, others may see things differently.

neneben View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neneben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 08 at 19:49

Originally posted by Albal Albal wrote:

I just did a 500 mile journey in my 104, sitting at 85 - 95 all the way. It's 9 hours and we stopped three times once for 10 mins and twice for about 5. That's a pretty constant speed for the van over a long time.

At that speed with the 5 speed box it sits at 3200/3300 rpm. I personally think that is a lot and is ragging the tits off the van. Going by this logic, doing this sort of journey I'd have thought the 5cyl 6spd box would be
more reliable because it is at lower revs than the 4 pot.

Any one care to comment?

My 174 sits at 3000rpm when doing a ton! great for those long trips around europe.

TBH it all depends on what type of driving you are doing. I:E for long trips the 2.5s are more capable but around town the 1.9's are easier to drive. (I have driven both)

Azzaaaaaaaa.... View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Azzaaaaaaaa.... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 08 at 20:37
Hey Neneben!!! drove through Earlsbarton sunday !! Dig the T5 man that rocks!!! I want one!!!
Yea! What ever....!?
neneben View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neneben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 08 at 22:34
cheers Azaaaaaaaaaaaaa. You will have to keep driving past to checkout for more changes
Hulkiebear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hulkiebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 08 at 22:39

I drove a 250 mile round trip this evening, I wasn't in a hurry so thought I'd see what MPG I could get. I cruised at 70 for most of the way up and 65 on the way back, which was 6th gear just under or on 2,000 revs, dispite the annoyance of driving so slow at first and watching BMW's and Mercs fly by at speeds that the 174 would normally relish, the return was a 39-40 MPG on the Optamystic-trip-O-meter computer, I'll fill up in the morning to see what the actual is!

Oh, never had a single engine problem on a 55 reg(06) 174 (25,000 miles).

Kombi 174. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 08 at 23:05

What happened to the sensus post where the percentage of owners became apparant . 5cyls represented a large magority of the vans and many realised that could also be the reason for more 5cyl problems .

I guess it stands to reason that a simpler lower tech engine has less to go wrong , and is less likely to be owned by a speed merchant who drives it hard . drivetrain and brakes etc are all less likey to get abuse with less power .

years ago i worked for car dealer who specialized in golf GTI's it was amazing how many at the same miles differed greatly in the condition of the drivetrain , it was obviouse many had been thrashed , and there was no problem with the vehicle . Normal 1.8 models although very close in power to the GTI rarely shown the same problems 

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 08 at 14:43

I’m not sure if there is a bad engine as such but I think consistency is more of a problem when it comes to VW engines, so which ever engine you have it could be a dog or a flyer

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 08 at 21:33
well i had a 1.9 t4 for ten years and had to have the engine replaced.the
only reason i sold it was because of the performance and opening locking
unlocking doors all day long ,went out and bought a trendline 130 and i love
it goes great ,i dont wish to wish my life a way but i will buy another one
when the warrenty expires if i have any major agg
RICK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 08 at 22:22
GO 5 CYCLINDER MATE YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DONT
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 08 at 21:46
RICK I HAVE TO COMPLIMENT YOU ON YOUR EXCELLENT CHOICE OF ENGINE
 Post Reply Post Reply