The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing with T5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with T5
    Posted: 02 Feb 08 at 17:07

Hi all

I was wondering today how many of you out there tow a caravan with a T5.

We tow a large twin axel Avante 636. We tow probably 5000 mile a year including an annual trip to france and one to Holland.

simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 08 at 17:09
Just another thought that van drivers are often hated by motorists but not as much as caravaners so I dont stand much chance of being liked towing a caravan with aT5.
cord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 08 at 18:55

hi simon

this is our hated set up

and before being lowered

cordell

"do it in van"
Hulkiebear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hulkiebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 19:12

Cord, that is bag out of order! Towing a rolling road block on such a trick T5!

On the subject of towing, I have towed a couple of trailers weighing upto 2500 kgs, and there has been a excessive smell of burning clutch (fish like)! But, I'm told this is normal in modern cars! Anyone else have this smell?

Kombi 174. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 19:29
Our caravan weighs getting on for 2 ton and is about 8m long and have had no trouble yet from the clutch. The only time you have a burning clutch is normally prolonged reversing.
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 19:31
Is it only me and cord who are sad caravaners then? Why is caravaning a no no but a campervan is cool?
cord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 22:05

hi

i dont get any smells from the clutch,last year at vanfest i did not take the caravan  i took a 3 man tent it was terrible,it just does not fit in with the scene [caravan that is]

cordell

"do it in van"
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 08 at 22:09

Last year we went into a tent in the mountains south of france, it was fun for one night but we was glad to get back in the caravan for a bit of room and comfort!

Whilst we were in the tent the kids slept in the rock and roll bed thing in the caravelle which they said was great, unfortunatly my wife wont sleep there because we have no curtains only tinted windows.

starsKEY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsKEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 12:54

Hehehe:

Sorry, cant upload the pic direct but:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ihatesatnav/1688237519/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ihatesatnav/1504218449/

Its a cracker...

Its not Aircooled, It's Airconditioned.
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 13:02
weve got a 17ft adria optima an its pulls it ded easy

hope to use the c-van a bit more this year

altho i have to say i hate comin up behind c-vans on the road as most wont pull over to allow overtaking

Edited by Onefut
cord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 21:33

HI STARSKEY

lot of elbow grease used there ! [to clean caravan ]

cordell

"do it in van"
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 22:17

Okay I'll 'fess up - I've got a tiny, 10 ft, two berth Compass Shadow which, once a year, I tow down to Newgale in Pembs and it acts as my base for about 7 - 8 months.

It smaller than the T5 so the only trouble I have when towing it is remembering that it's on the back...

It has to be said that no one can ever accuse me of holding up the traffic when I'm pulling my caravan  

Edited by orangina
aledw View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aledw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 22:17

Not quite a caravan... Kayaks are 18 feet long.

Trailer

Edited by aledw
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 22:24

Blooming eck, you sure you got enough kayaks there Aled?

Glad to see you've got them all wrapped up - you don't want them getting wet do you? 

Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 23:19
ever hear of overloading
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 23:45

Hi Aled

thats  lot of sea kayaks on there , but nothing like overloaded at abouT3kg each.

What make are they , I guess you must make or sell them .

I tow a boat that wieghs about 1300kg , its great behind the T5

but you know its there behind my old ford maverick that i usually use for launching .

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
starsKEY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsKEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 08 at 18:40
Originally posted by cord cord wrote:

HI STARSKEY

lot of elbow grease used there ! [to clean caravan ]

cordell

No elbow grease was harmed in the cleaning of that caravan! If you look again, the green stuff is on the other side....

And I jetwashed it after a liberal dousing of bike cleaner, which took the aging paint off. Handy, as that was the look I was going for.

I'm pretty sure its touring days are over. We are currently using it as a site van for brewing up and eating cake whiilst the real workers crack on with building our house.  Its good for that, though I have slept in it a few times, the other half is less keen.

Its not Aircooled, It's Airconditioned.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 08 at 17:50
Originally posted by simon bartlett simon bartlett wrote:

Is it only me and cord who are sad caravaners then? Why is caravaning a no no but a campervan is cool?

Me too.  I tow a caravan that weighs about a ton and I make a point of never holding anyone up   The 174 is so good up hills that I rarely even have to change down.  On motorway hills people often pull out to pass asuming I'll slow down and hold them up...  Haha! 

Edited by T5 TDI
2004 2.5 174
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 08 at 19:08

Campervan Cool ?

I think  Only a  VW campervan is considered cool isn't it ?

Big ugly coachbuilt campers are nearly as bad as caravans

they are all rolling roadblocks that are a total pain down here in Cornwall during the summer .

I think part of the problem is caravans and big campers are too often towed and driven by incapable drivers with far too small a towing vehicle . You only have to listen to any summer traffic report to work that out its so often a caravan accident that brings the country to a halt.

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
crispycritter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 08 at 23:46
Cant believe im reading this. I cant believe your all saying that you are van lovers yet your bolting the automotive equivalent of a ball and chain to your babies!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>