The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

corrado mirrors are on....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: corrado mirrors are on....
    Posted: 13 Jan 08 at 19:28
ahhhh with these rado mirrors your really spoiling us .

i picked these up friday so i thought id better do something constructive today .
thanks to previous posts on the yard ,fitting them was a breeze.
once id sussed the first one, the second only took half hour.
i think they look a lot better than the stock elephant ears and vision out of them is plenty good enough .
shame the quarter lights only open 10mm now ,oh well its enough to flick my ash out .

id better stay late one night this week and get them painted .
could have been worse tho ,they could have been red
shapey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 12:47

nice one!

i've got some 'rado mirrors to go on mine at some point...

not done 'em yet as i was waiting to see if anyone could come up with some adapters to solve the quarter light issue...

PaulG View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 13:23

Hi Guys,

Without opening quarter lights are they a direct fit? (or should I have gone searching instead of asking?)

Ta,

PaulG

Brick-Yard. Not a club, more a way of doing things. (Robert Fripp - kind of...)
peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 20:33

They're still one of my fave mods i reckon (and they work!) tho now i have the nice big leccy factory ones i dont reckon i'll refit em on new Elly!

My Adaptor story.. I have now officially given up!

Heres why: the Rado mirror bolts come in at a 15 degree angles to each other and are a real pain to replicate. The angles involved also mean that the adaptors had to be 'sided' a flat adaptor made the mirror hang down (a lot more than urs crewie - btw i reground the base on old ellys 3 times til was happy!) as the slight angle gets exagerated by the adapter, so there was another piece of machining to do! 

The shape of the mirror base is also nigh on impossible to be easily machinable. I went to 3 engineering firms and the price got up at one point to £100 a pair for 20 sets (I didnt think that there would really be that much more call for em, possibly 50 sets if I was lucky?) n who would be willing to pay that? The other firms just opted out i think - you know when you ring up and get given the run around!!!!!???

BUT Steve on 80-90 had taken up the challenge (look in modified) so I hope he's luckier than me!!

So when u see someone like Baxter or Charlie at T3 sellin wee bits have respect n support em kos these sort of thing arn't easy..!

Firefighter twisted Firefighter...
crewie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 22:00
i thought about the adapter route as well peet ,for about ten seconds.
like you said, way to complicated to be a practical thing to make.
if id thought about it before i painted the van i would have cut the mirrior mount section from the corrado door and welded it in to the t3 door.
if you move the mirror forward on the door so the glass is in line with the pivot point of the quarter light  it will open fine but it makes it look kinda odd and out of place.
i think the way they are mounted now has gotta be the easiest way .

paul ,they are not a  direct fit ,but as a minimum only require a hole drilled through the door and a small amount of modification  to the mirror base.
if anyone wants a step by step on fitting them let me know.
shapey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 10:01

yeah, a fitting guide would be very useful, ta!

would it not be possible to make a wedge shaped shim to angle the mirrors up a bit? or would that bring the body of the mirror into contact with the window?

i really like the look but i also really like to drive with the quarter light open  

peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 19:01

I just reground and trial fitted to get the angle. U could jus redrill the holes to allow the quarter to open and bring it back which would look ok but then u have other holes to fill!

Firefighter twisted Firefighter...
andycaddock View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycaddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 19:54
a step by step would be great
mister t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mister t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 20:51

I just cheated and used one hole for now to allow the quarter light to open, I'll work out what I'm gonna do some day , only been 18 months

Ain't goin on no plane FOOL!

Bristol V-Dub Misfitz
crewie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 00:19
Ok then here goes.
make sure when you get the mirrors ,you get the base gaskets and the mounting screws as well.the rado screws are longer and it makes life a whole lot easier to get everything lined up.

first thing to do is to remove the standard mirrors ,two philps screws each side ,stick them in the for sale section,somebody might need them.

next job is to remove the interior door fittings and pop off the door pads.
if you still have the plastic membrane intact ,locate the opening in the door frame directly under the quarter light and cut a hole big enough for your hand in the membrane ,this should be resealed when your done.i use a piece of polythene fixed with double sided tape but you can use duck tape.
on to the corrado mirrors themselves.
if you look at the base of the mirror ,the screw mounting holes have a raised area that locates in a dimple on the corrado door ,this needs to be ground down flush with the base of the mirror.its only ally so grinds down farliy quickly on a bench grinder.
as peet said the corrado screw mountings are at a 15 degree angle ,so using a 6mm drill bit ,drill down through the mounting hole from the side you just ground and straighten them up as much as possible without making them oversized .i offered them up to the door several times before i was happy they were straight enough.dont make the holes too big or the screw may just pull through when you tighten them.
cut the plugs from the bottom of the wiring ,leave enough wire to rejoin them if you plan on wiring them up in the future.
use a craft knife or razor blade to cut the dimples from the mirror base gasket.
spin the mirror base to get access to the front mounting hole and offer it up the the van with the gasket.feed the wiring down through the center hole and using the corrado screws attach it to the door ,front hole to front hole.be carefull as its easy to cross thread the screw if the hole isnt straight enough .
when its tightened down,  spin the mirror the other way to access the rear hole .a bit of masking tape stuck to the door before attaching the mirror is the best way of mark where to drill.when your sure the mirror is square on the door mark the hole.
remove the mirror and using your 6mm drill, carefully whack a hole though your door .if your lucky, you will just drill through the edge of the mirror mounting plate underneath ,this is a good thing.

remove the masking tape ,debur the hole ,touch in the edge with paint and allow to dry.you can seal up the original rear hole with a blob of sealer if your worried about water getting in to the door
refit the mirror to the door, front hole first and then screw in the rear one .grab a 10mm nut and washer ,stick your hand through the hole in the membrane and wind it onto the rear screw.it can be a bit fiddly doing it up but with the help of an assistant turning the screw from outside, you just need to hold a spanner on it.

thats about it i think .
reseal the membrane ,refit the door pads and fittings ,sit in the drivers seat and adjust the glass to your preference and stand outside with a big cheesy grin on your face coz yer van looks cool.

it really is a pi$$ easy job that makes a big difference i think.
a pair of rado mirrors can be had for around £20 and you could get a tenner or more for your old ones .if you dont want to mess about or spend the money getting them painted body colour ,just satin black them.

most of this info i got from one of peets previous posts i think,so thanks to him. cheers matey

dazz

STEW '89GL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STEW '89GL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 09:07
Hi, being smaller than standard mirrors, what sort of vision do you get with the corrado mirrors?
The voices made me do it.............
crewie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 09:35
hi stew.
vision out of them is surprisingly good ,obviously you cant see the full height of the van but otherwise no problems.
id say you get about the same field of view as a saloon car.
shapey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 09:46

Originally posted by crewie crewie wrote:

...id say you get about the same field of view as a saloon car.

what, like a corrado for example?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STEW '89GL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 10:03

hi stew.
vision out of them is surprisingly good ,obviously you cant see the full height of the van but otherwise no problems.
id say you get about the same field of view as a saloon car.

Cheers, another purchase coming up!

crewie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 11:54
Originally posted by shapey shapey wrote:

...id say you get about the same field of view as a saloon car.

what, like a corrado for example?

i was gonna say that but thought stew might think i was takin the pi$$
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STEW '89GL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 13:47

Whatever you can see out of them is going to be more than I can see now with the poxy things keep folding in.

No matter how many times I've had them off to tighten them up, after a week or so they fold in and face each other, even locktited them and managed two weeks,  great!

Also there's the problem of adjusting the passenger one on your own, not that I'm a lazy bastard or anything, but leccys got to be the way foward.

VWlewis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 22:05
The way to sort out the manual mirrors is to take the tightener nut off, pull apart the arm and use some sandpaper and roughen the surface that rub together when they move - then clean with a solvent to remove any grease - reassemble and tighten .. works a treat - did that to mine which has not moved since.

Hope this helps.

VW Lewis
Dr. T15 - Took test in a T2, drove a T1, T4, T5 and now run a T3 - and I am not Tee'd off
Daveangel9 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveangel9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 08 at 06:19
Have you got these wired up? if so was it an easy job?
1990 slate Blue twin slider 2.1 Nearly finished not to everyones taste
crewie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 08 at 17:55
not yet, but it cant be that hard to do,just need to find a corrado wiring diagram.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STEW '89GL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 08 at 18:43

A pair have been purchased for the extortionate sum of £21.50!

That includes the £15 recorded delivery. £6.50 for a pair of mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>