The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Window wind/rain deflectors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smotoT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Window wind/rain deflectors
    Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 10:32
I'm looking to buy some front side window deflectors, can anyone recommend  where to buy a good fitting set from.There are a few places on Ebay  but not sure about them.....
MultiplexMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MultiplexMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 10:52

Also interested in any feedback between the "stick on" versus the "fit in" versions. 

I had a look at the OEM stick ons and am a bit "so-so" about them.

OK - they work but they look, well, stuck on!

The "fit in" versions look neater.  Just not sure how good the fit is with the window closed.

smotoT5 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smotoT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 10:57
Originally posted by MultiplexMan MultiplexMan wrote:

Also interested in any feedback between the "stick on" versus the "fit in" versions. 

I had a look at the OEM stick ons and am a bit "so-so" about them.

OK - they work but they look, well, stuck on!

The "fit in" versions look neater.  Just not sure how good the fit is with the window closed.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.
T5camper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5camper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 16:25
I went through the same process a year ago, but was warned, by brick-yard members, that the fit in type had been known to vibrate at speed, whereas that was not a problem with the VW stick ons.  In the end I opted for VW stick ons and couldn't be happier.  They don't vibrate, they are excellent for keeping rain out when overnight camping, and I've got used to the "stuck on "look, in fact I think they look pretty darned slick.
Autosleeper Trident 54 plate
AndyTease View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyTease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 17:41
Andy
SilverT5TDI130 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverT5TDI130 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 17:46
I have the slot in ones & they do look neater & less obtrusive than the stick
on ones but they're not as secure. I bought mine to act as rain deflectors
when camped rather than wind deflectors at speed, they flap a bit then but I
usually keep my windows closed & use the aircon. A closed window holds
them firmly in place. Both versions are ideal for keeping the window open a
couple of inches in the rain & not letting any water in the van. The slot in
ones make the electric window motor labour a bit the last inch during the
first few closes but that soon goes! It's a 50/50 choice really!
Veedurb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veedurb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 19:51

Originally posted by T5camper T5camper wrote:

was warned, by brick-yard members, that the fit in type had been known to vibrate at speed

I've had two pairs of slot in ones (managed to break the first one - took it off for cleaning the van then drove over it) and neither have suffered any vibration at all, even at 120mph on a 'test track'.  The first pair were 'deflectair' wind deflectors which were re-badged climair ones (one of the leading makes) and the second pair were gen brand spankers climairs from Ebay for £18 the pair (dealio!).  They certainly help reduce water pooling on the driver's side window in the rain and are worth it for that alone...

Edited by Veedurb
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 21:09
I have OEM stick ons and am happy with them.  One benefit over the slot-ins is that they obscure less of your view since the fixing point is further out from the windows, on the door frames.

Like Silver, I got mine for camping, so that I can leave the front windows wound down a crack for ventilation and having spent a few rainy nights thus, I can report that they keep out all water.  
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
crispycritter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 21:53
oem stick ons and they are great which is more than can be said for the poxy oem headlamp protectors. second set has just cracked again for no apparant reason. im just going to give up and replace a headlight if i bust one, it'll be cheaper.
Delfhill View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 22:27
I like the idea of these for camping, but was wondering if anyone has found they cause much wind noise at speed?
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 23:21
My OEM stickons make no noise at speed, or at least none that can be heard above other noises! 
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 07 at 23:37

Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

My OEM stickons make no noise at speed, or at least none that can be heard above other noises! 

Mine are the same no noise at speed and in summer they stop almost all the bugs coming in when the window is half open when  you are driving

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MultiplexMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 07 at 00:07

Well just bought a set of "slot in" deflectors off ebay.

I just couldn't bring my self to stick a set on.

Delfhill View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 07 at 11:39
Thanks ECB and Mr Hedgehog, I'm off to get some!
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 07 at 21:17

got some slot in's from ebay , They don't rattle and fit well . Maybe its where you put the clips??

They do make a bit of wind noise on the motorway but its not bad and worth living for the other advantages mentioned here

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MultiplexMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 07 at 09:11

Just fitted my "slot in" smoked wind deflectors.  Easy fit, clips go in simply (two a side).

Purchased off ebay, made in Poland, Team Heko, fit and finish is first rate.

Worked out cheaper to have them sent from Europe than buy locally in Oz, of course, yet again,...

Cheers, MM (another thing off my lounge room floor )

BTW They are absolutely silent, especially since I haven't gone for a drive with them on yet

smotoT5 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smotoT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 07 at 21:18

Just fitted my "slot in" smoked wind deflectors.  Easy fit, clips go in simply (two a side).

Purchased off ebay, made in Poland, Team Heko, fit and finish is first rate.

Worked out cheaper to have them sent from Europe than buy locally in Oz, of course, yet again,...

Cheers, MM (another thing off my lounge room floor )

BTW They are absolutely silent, especially since I haven't gone for a drive with them on yet

Do you have the sellers name to hand?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MultiplexMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 07 at 22:03

automotive_jandj

eBay item 110199952959

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MultiplexMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 08 at 02:35

I just gave these a good test in driving rain up to 110 km/hr
- no noise ,
- no vibration ,
- good shelter with the window open below the edge of the shield

Very happy, MM

kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 08 at 18:39

I just gave these a good test in driving rain up to 110 km/hr
- no noise ,
- no vibration ,
- good shelter with the window open below the edge of the shield

Very happy, MM

I have the same ones Iam happy with mine .

However at motorway speeds there is a little wind noise that wasn't there without them . you don't notice it in bad weather and rain as other noise from the weather etc drowns it out ,but you will when its fine . Its not much and i am happy to live with it for the other benefits .

If I spent lots of time on the motorway I would remove the deflectors .

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>