FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVW LT Owners Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 08 at 13:18
Hi Caveman,

Thanks for your input, technical advice is always welcome and valuable.
I've had a look at DotNetNuke and it looks like a quality product but we may need modules which cost money.

As far and as long as possible I would like to keep membership free, Tom has offered to host the site free of charge, and like yourself has limited time to offer.

Personally I'd like to get a basic site up and running asap, and if anyone knows of any tools to shorten this process please post accordingly or email me at softwarereg01@googlemail.com.

Should there be technical problems with developing the site then I hope you will be able to help, my own expertise relates to data migration not web sites so I'm not a lot of use at present.

Cheers

Andy
caveman_dick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 08 at 20:38
Hi Andy

I've just had a look at the DotNetNuke modules and most of the ones we would need are free and come with the Basic install pack, you just need to register to be able to download them.

I actually did a test install on my laptop and it's actually very easy as there is a wizard once the site has been setup in IIS, overall it took me about 10mins to get a site working. The only requirements are for the site to have dotNet 2.0 installed and a few permissions on the folder.

The forum looks fine, wiki looks a bit iffy but i know of another good dotNet one (ScrewTurn, I actually use this at work) but the best thing is all the administration of pages and the site is done via the web interface once logged in. It even has a Google Adwords module so that the site might actually earn a few bob.

Check out this what i found: http://www.dotnetnuke.com/guidedtour/

By the looks of how easy it is to admin/set-up I would go for this, that way it'll be easier to spread the load to a few others.

Rich

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 08 at 21:33
I've just realised that a tool I use on a daily basis, their main website is DotNetNuke!!! It has a forum on there so you can see what it looks like although we can always change the styles (TBH i think the site was done by the developer of the tool cos it looks like something I'd come up with, i.e. Crap!!! Wink)

http://www.roundpolygons.com/

Also it'd be good to get something done that is better than the Transporter Site, after all we deserve so much more being LT owners! Smile

Edited by caveman_dick - 12 Jun 08 at 21:35
illumini View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 08 at 23:49
I Agree
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 08 at 01:15
Hi All,

In the long term I'd like an all singing and dancing web site but the problem is that someone has to host and develop it.
Initial research indicates that a site able to host Dotnetnuke costs a minimum of £15 per month with a 12 month contract. At the moment that's about £30 each per year up front.

I've downloaded Dotnetnuke and the documentation and to be honest its way beyond me at the moment.

Simple question - Assuming that someone is willing to develop the site are we prepared to put up the money!!!.

Comments please

Andy
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 08 at 08:36
Hi Im in a couple of clubs both have yearly fees co cover expenses ie web sites club magazine I was expecting to pay something for the privilage otherwise all you have is another forum but we would need a treasurer
terry
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 08 at 18:37
Can't Tom's hosting handle dotNetNuke then?

If not then www.godaddy.com is quite a cheap hosting company and apparently quite good. They sponsor a NASCAR team so must be quite popular! Done a quick reccy and a years hosting with dotNetNuke pre-installed is ~£50. You can also add domainNames to the account and vwltownersclub.co.uk is available and costs ~£6 a year.

Thoughts?
kampaman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 08 at 10:12
Only just seen this, been traveling for a while.

My specialty if you would call it that is bodywork, i.e. spraying and welding. I'm self taught, but have been doing it since my teens, I'm now in my Ehmm, late 40's. So can advise on bodywork stuff.

We may be few at the moment, but I think us LT owners are going to grow in the future as bays and wedges are getting priced out of the market for many people, plus more and more  peeps are wanting bigger more practical buses with growing families etc, I've seen more and more LT's creep onto the 'rustybay field' for a start.

Glad something is beginning to take off, there is definitely a big gap in the VW scene for LT's to fill I think. I love my 83 LT 28, and would never go back to a smaller bus now. Incidentally Anyone who is thinking of getting an LT and is worried about running costs, Don't be. I've got LPG on mine for a start, but even on petrol, with my 5 gear box, I'm finding I'm getting the same MPG as my old bay!  which is about 24/5 to the gallon.

This may be because of my 5 speed box, and the fact I look after her keeping her well serviced, but I'm well impressed. Smile

I'll put a pic up when I get a mo.Wink

'Insanity is just a natural adaption to an insane world'.

GIVE LT'S THE RECOGNITION THEY DESERVE IN THE VW SCENE'.

Kampamans Site
kampaman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 08 at 10:21
Oh something else.

I have a website http://www.kampaman.co.uk that a friend set up for me using 'dreamweaver'. He paid the first years fee, and set it up for me, I just pay the company £23.00 every two years I think for the web space when they send me the bill through the post.

I can add to/alter it when I wish, but to be honest, although he wrote out what to do for me to get on the site and change it, it's beyond my capabilities.Confused can anyone do anything with it? i.e link to it or something, and even add to my existing site with LT stuff? I don't know, just throwing in some things and seeing what comes out.Smile I don't mind carrying on paying the site fees, as my own site is on it anyway.
'Insanity is just a natural adaption to an insane world'.

GIVE LT'S THE RECOGNITION THEY DESERVE IN THE VW SCENE'.

Kampamans Site
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 08 at 13:52

Hi all, still some interest then Smile

Thinking we maybe getting a little unfocused in our ideas here. This is supposed to be a LT club not a web design challenge!

I haven’t even had the time to look at DotNetNuke - which is my point. If someone wants to take over and build an all singing site that is all good. I just don't have the time. I'm not really in for building something "better" than anything else either, just something that fits our requiements. I don’t honestly have the time to learn new coding / skills. I can build something aesthetically very nice – but it is up to us all to fill it with useful info and well laid out content. Here’s a great bad example… www.dodge50.co.uk

If we can get some structured ideas - sections - tutorials - pages - contacts that we can then get people to go away and do research on relevant bits for the site. I can then start to re process this and get it online.

We need to allocate jobs etc... Andy has been kind enough to take on secretary, I assume the position of developer (for now)..... could do with some researchers.

I think we need to start with a layout - site map.

Finally I think this site is great - and there are many more that are useful. I'm personally only in this to help create a tighter LT owners community. I think the site should be a hub for events / info / chat. Not predominantly a forum, i.e. I don't want to kill this LT forum!

Discuss…

regards,

Tom

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 16:35
Hi All,

I'm for proceeding on the basis Tom suggests, at least that way we can have something up and running within a reasonable space of time.

If anyone else wants to contribute towards development/research then great, if not then I will do what I can. It might take a little longer but we will get there.

I can't advise on the structure because I don't know where to start, but for me I would like:-

A link to this forum.

The ability to post sources for parts, paint etc.

A list of members along with their skills, could be mechanical, plumbing, electrical,carpentry etc. For example anything practical which would help someone to repair or convert a van to a camper. My cousin has recently converted a van and it took him ages to find someone who would cut and fit the windows.

I've gained a lot from this forum, but because it is a forum its not organised/specific, and if topics are not active then potential new members may be put off or miss something.

Events could be a problem for a new club because of limited members and the distances involved, but I live in Wales and am going to Cornwall in a few weeks. If anyone is around then it would be nice to meet up, check out each other's van's, discuss projects etc.

In the last 2 weeks or so this post has been viewed over 300 times, about the same as in the previous year.
Obviously people want to join an LT Club but there isn't one!!
Lets make a start now, recruit members, and not get bogged down with other issues.

Andy
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 08 at 09:42
Hi
I agree make a list oif potential members names and addresses then maybe arange a meet or decide online who does what the other clubs im in have a secretary treasurer parts secretary events organiser as well as local secretaries NW SW SE ect all elected by the members but we cant do that till we know who and where everyone is
Terry

ps im in bolton
Spill View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 08 at 13:17
Hi.I Too would love to join A new 'LT Club'.I dont have any computer skills, know a bit about Photography + DIY ,  and have Self built our LT.Regards.SpillLOL
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 08 at 14:24
Hi Spill/All,

Thanks for your posts, unless anyone else would like to take over it looks like I am the secretary for now.

So, would anyone interested in joining the club please email me at softwarereg01@googlemail.com

For now I'd just like to build a list of members, along with any skills, ideas etc you may have for the club.

Suggested format is:-

Name
General Location
Van Model, Year of Manufacture, Conversion etc
Preferred Email Address
Landline No (Optional)
Skills
Suggestions for the club
Questions
Anything else....

Please don't post any personal details to the forum, I guarantee that any information sent to me will stay within the club, and removed on request.

Cheers

Andy
bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 08 at 20:02
Hi guys i to have just brought a 1985 LT31 and love it to bits and would love to join a club.  The couple that i brought the van off once belonged to the LT owners club but said it closed due to lake of vans.  It seems that there are not many vans out there, i was looking for a long time for my one.
Also im trying to find a repair manual for this van as im doing some work on the diesel engine and want to learn more about it before i pull it all apart.  Also good to know what goes wrong with them and were to get good body parts when i need them.

any advice i would love
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 08 at 09:13
Hi Bushbandit,

I bought a Haynes LT manual from Halfords but it only covers petrol versions, presumably they do a diesel one as well.

In the meantime should you have a specific question just post a new topic on the forum with the details and maybe someone can help.

If you would like to join the club just send me an email with your information.

Cheers

Andy
bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 08 at 13:03
Thanks bro, yeh been reading the other posts and have found all the info i need, its great.  There seems to others with the same probs that i have, so was good to see some answers.  Glad i found this site.  i didnt relise just how many LT owners are out there.

will flick you an email
moocow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

If only....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 08 at 15:45
Dont't think Haynes did a manual for the Diesel engine.

The club will be a good idea but as we will be getting rid of our LT at the end of the year it would be a bit pointless  getting involved!

Cheers

Simon
Spill View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 08 at 09:19
Originally posted by bushbandit bushbandit wrote:

Also good to know what goes wrong with them

any advice i would love
                    Hi. A good website to find out what goes wrong with Vans is http://www.usedvanexpert.co.uk   they tell you what to look for when buying.Regards.Spill
Lawsy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 08 at 22:49
Evening all

Sorry aint been for a bit, whats teh score about the LT owners club, where do i sign up???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>