The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTristar Syncro, 2WD to 4WD, more BHP!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 07 at 23:56

Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22074& amp; amp;PN=1&TPN=1

Thanks for that.. I'm needing them!

MG

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 07 at 23:59

Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

put a diesel in it.

Actually, dont, theyre shit.

I don't think I can bring myself to stick one of those 'orrible noisey, smelly lumps in. Mind you the one I have now isn't that much different

MG

lloyd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 07 at 00:50

You want 112hp, put engine on dyno.  You think VW used an engine off the shelf or one blueprinted in their shop for their dyno runs? Me thinks blueprinted one. Definately not a rebuilt engine, and didn't have cyclone filter etc on it either! 27 horses is about what drivetrain should be using as 28-38% is typical loss in drivetrain.  Sounds like you are getting quite respectable performance all things considered.

Very nice Tristar. You've done a beautiful job! Love the detail you put into fit and finish!

Brixham, Devon
88 LHD 1.9 4sp westy conversion Reimo hi-top
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 07 at 13:03

The 27 horse loss is calculated flywheel HP! the real reading is much, much less...

rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 07 at 13:20

The 27 horse loss is calculated flywheel HP! the real reading is much, much less...

I genuinely believe that he enjoys delivering little snippets such as this!
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
lloyd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 07 at 13:24

Never have figured out why there are so many calculations to cheat on dynos.  "Now your van is putting putting out out 55hp on rolling dyno, but if we adjust for elevation, transmission drag, shoe color, kind of exhaust, hair color, etc. it's really 100hp."

K, so engine definately needs more oats to get horses going. 

Brixham, Devon
lloyd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 07 at 13:59

Originally posted by rogerthecat rogerthecat wrote:

I genuinely believe that he enjoys delivering little snippets such as this!

Of course he does! Where the fun if we can't kick em when they'r down. 

Brixham, Devon
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 07 at 17:53

Gee the support here is overwhelming

Ok onwards and upwards. This has been a shit year for me but hey, life goes on and I'll not be dragged down!

First the good news, the cross member arrived from Syncrospares, thanks CJ. I hope you get Cat's van sorted soon and have a chilled out Christmas time mate. Merry Christmas to the whole family.

I got the spare engine on the engine stand started stripping it down to check out just how bad it was. I bought this from Charile as a known problem engine for it's injector system and loom. Ever since it arrived, there has been emulisfied oil coming out of both the oil system and the water system.. not good!

The extent of the head gasket leak became apparent the further I got into it.

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING is covered in this 'orrible oozing gunk! When I first removed the sump plug, nothing happened for a few seconds, then it started dribbling out. That's how thick it is!

Finally I got the case halves split and.....

EEEeeeewwwwwww

I lifted the crank out, removed the rods and pressed the timing gear, spacer and dizzy drive off the end of the crank.

I'd say it's been running like this for a while and knocking. This is the rod journal from No.1 Cylinder. All the other rod bearings had picked up but this was the worst.

No.1 and No.3 main bearings has picked up some shrapnel but weren't bad. Both No.1 cam bearings are into the bronze material. The pistons and cylinders don't look that bad but until I clean everything off and do some measuring it's not really possible to say. The same goes for the crank. I expect No.1 rod bearing will be low but there's no scoring on it.

Cylinder No.4 inner top stud had snapped at the top so if I can get the stud to come of the case, then it's savable.

The question comes as to once I've measured everything and added up how much all the parts for the spare DJ, will that cost more than fitting this Audi S6 2.2 20V 5 Cylinder Turbo engine have sitting here...

I have the majority of the parts I need to fit it, bellhousing, engine mounting bar, clutch and flywheel (needs timing ring fitting for crank sensors), water pipes, loom and ECU and Pace Charge cooler.

Hmmmm...

MG

marco the t.s.e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 07 at 17:36
Originally posted by Ghia Ghia wrote:

Hmmm, more news from the world of Volkspares. A good friend recently spoke to Volkspares and asked what camshafts they fit and got the reply that they're 'some beetle cam mate'!!

As all Volkspares engines come with solid followers (WHY??!!) so they can't use the stock hydraulic camshafts.

Looking at the stock VW torque figures, I'm not that far off the 128 ft lbs which they should have but to lose 28bhp?

MG

They used 1600 mexican bug hydro cams that are compleatly shit in a wasser, they used solids because hydros gave them to many problems, for the 128ft thats about right for under 3000rpm with the very low duration bug cam, if you rebuild it put a c25 scat in there with solids with 70thou more lift and about the same duration of the stock 2.1 DJ cam, it realy picks up the power from 3000rpm to 5500rpm

good luck

marco mansi......

BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 07 at 20:36

dump the 2.1 and fit the 5 pot !! there was a green panel van in hanover with a 20 valve fitted in it and it went like f**k  !  

it sounded mint on the rev limiter  ,and when it was dumping ! 

Edited by BUS.BOY
************bristol t3 racers************
marco the t.s.e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 07 at 01:28
you wont have much left of £5000 for somthing like that very nice thou!!!
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 07 at 16:59

Hmmm the jury is out on the which engine to fit. For the moment it runs, albeit slower than it should be. I can't afford to take it off the road (make it yet another project!) as it's my only running vehicle.

In the mean time, I spent yesterday and today sorting out the protection bars and mountings.

The Tristar has been missing all of the underbody protection bars and front bash plate since I bought it. I have a spare wheel carrier bash plate waiting for me in Germany but the rest of the parts I had ready to fit... but there was a set of brackets missing. CJ supplied the chassis cross member with the brackets on.

I drilled carefully through the large diameter welds to remove the brackets, then cleaned them up and concentrated on where they had to go.

Here are all the parts laid out on the floor including gear-rod tube.

The chassis leg has a few bits of metal missing from when the brackets were removed.

I removed the gear shift rod completely as the tube won't go over the gearbox end.

A bit of cleaning up with a dremel (couldn't get the grinder in!)

All ready for welding.

I loosely fitted up the engine protection cage, propshaft bars and cross piece and bolted them all together including the brackets.

With everything in a happy position, I tack welded the brackets onto the chassis leg, removed all the bars again and fully welded the brackets on. A bit of zinc primer followed by Tectyl underseal and everything was bolted back up.

A new gear coupling boot was fitted to keep all the crap out, especially when offroading.

All finished and ready for some offroading on the 30th!

MG

crewie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 07 at 11:57
any idea why all these bits were removed in the first place???
seems strange to go to all the trouble of removing welded on brackets
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 07 at 18:49

The brackets sit in the way of the holes which are needed to bolt in a 2WD gearbox.

I've bought myself a Christmas bargain . Thing is I'm not quite sure what to do with it yet...

MG

icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 07 at 20:45

i think i can see where you're going with that...

monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 07 at 21:04
hmmmm, be that a turbo?
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 07 at 22:35

MG

monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 07 at 22:37
bonus
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 07 at 00:56

Not sure if this actually fit right now. The Turbos sit really really close to where the petrol tank is. It might have to go into Henry...

MG

TriStar-Eric View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 08 at 05:32

Nice Tristar!  great work so far. 

I think you might have an easier time getting a NA 2.2 or a 2.5 subie in there than that twin turbo.   On a syncro, not only is the tank in the way, the clutch slave is also a bit of trouble.

BTW, one of those RHD Tristars made it to the states. It belongs to a friend of mine. He converted it to LHD! 

90 Swedish Tristar-STI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>