The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

elite vw?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubbajim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: elite vw?
    Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 10:45

hi guys just wondering if anyone has any dealings with a company called elite vw based in Basildon Essex. i suppose i should of asked this before handing over £900 for a new engine, but live and learn.

having to wait nearly 3 weeks longer than i was quoted because they had smashed all the push rod tubes with a forklift, should of set some bells ringing but we all make mistakes.

when it did arrive all seamed to be well until i stared to attach the other components to it, when i started to notice the old seals had been left in and just painted over now i know I'm not a engine builder so is this common practice?

once i had got the engine fitted the problems started oil PX light and buzzer tracked it down to having the wrong sensor fitted that changed engine running in starts.

after the engine got up to temp for the first time a loud tapping noise developed so i straight away rang elite vw for advice i was told it was air in the tappets and not to worry and was assured that after running it in it would be fine, 600 miles later much louder and an oil leak had developed from a push rod tube on the same cylinder that the tapping was coming from coincidence?

another phone call to elite again i was told not to worry and it was just air but to there credit they have sent me 3 new extendable push rod tubes and allegedly 3 NEW tappets however judging by the oil thick oil i found when i took them apart to bleed before fitting they were far from new again standard practice?

having bled them and fitted the new push rod tubes the oil leak had stopped for now but again once the temp had got up tapping back again.

elite vw have said if i get the van to them they will sort it but as I'm in Dundee an there in Essex its a long way to go and i don't really want to do any more damage.

am i in the right in thinking they have not done a good job re coning the engine or am i just being picky?

think like a man of action, act like a man of thought!
Horney View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 10:54
My neighbour has just fitted a recon 1.9 WBX from them and it's perfect, I think you may have just been unlucky. I would say take the van to them but dundee to essex is a hell of a trip. I would try and see if they are willing to covr the cost of getting it trailored down.

Nick

88 Atlas Grey MKII 8v see here and an 88 T3 Panel van
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 11:23
Id say they should be paying for recovery if its been faulty from day one...

the paint over the old seals would concern me. Why were they not replaced when it was recon'd? Are they definately old seals?

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 11:29

mate had a 2l from them in his bay, had minor problems which were easily sorted BUT I'm sure he had to take the van to them for the first service or the warranty was void.

Is that not the case with yours?

milk n cheese View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milk n cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 12:12
they did my 1.9 petrol, have not had cause for concern. 1st service was a check up really and was only 45 quid. they seem good people, friendly and helpfull, why if you are in dundee did you buy an engine from essex??
"if it bends its funny - if it breaks its even funnier" (M&C 1994)
dubbajim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubbajim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 13:03

yea they were defo old seal one was the one the dip stick slots into they supplied all new seals i was just a bit concerned they they were not removed before the paint was applied.

as for why i purchased it from there i had great difficulty in finding somewhere up here for a price that could beat there's

they do seem like good people there and pretty helpful but at the end of the day I'm shelling out the money and should get a quality product should i not?

redneck View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 13:38
You have a p.m Jim

Edited by redneck
I'm as thick as a whale pancake,naarf
dubbajim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubbajim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 13:51

chers red ill keep it in mind

shapey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 18:03
might be worth having a look over on 80-90 as i think quite a few people there have used elite.
Tradesize View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tradesize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 20:23

type elite vw into volks moan (zone) search facility on old threads and see the info. thats all i will say

Yradave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yradave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 07 at 22:36
Originally posted by Tradesize Tradesize wrote:

type elite vw into volks moan (zone) search facility on old threads and see the info. thats all i will say

That's when/if it works

dubbajim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubbajim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 07 at 11:53

where do i find volks moan zone?

ricicles View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricicles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 07 at 17:37
dunno wether this helps but i have had a few probs with recon engines and noisy tappets. try bleeding the oil system by loosening the oil filter and letting the oil run out. it makes a mess. after doing this to my engine it quietened down. now it is run in it is luvverly.
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 07 at 18:01
www.volkszone.com/vzi    been problems with server for last few weeks so its on and off at the mo
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Hannover View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hannover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 23:42

Originally posted by shapey shapey wrote:

might be worth having a look over on 80-90 as i think quite a few people there have used elite.

Quite a few peeps on 80-90 have had recon engines from Elite VW. They seem to have a good reputation. Steve Shaw at Gasure in north Wales is an agent for Elite & can do the first service as required under the terms of the warranty. I think he also fits Elite engines from time to time. Maybe he would also be allowed to sort out problems with engines fitted by Elite. Maybe worth looking into.

1997 T4 LWB HIGH-TOP CAMPER

2.5 TDI GEM/AZTEC CONVERSION
dubbajim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubbajim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 07 at 21:45

thanks for your help

the guys at elite vw seem to be doing what they can to help, they offered to take the van down there but is a long way to pick it up in one weekend as i have no time off work. so the engine is going back down once i have taken it out again, and hopefully it will be sorted when i get it back keep you informed.

PaulG View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 08:10

Hi dubbajim,

I was thinking about the bit about the old gaskets painted over on the engine.  We used to do this to mask the gasket surfaces when we used to get outboard motor crankcases stove-enamelled.  They survive better than masking tape.  Just a thought?

PaulG

Brick-Yard. Not a club, more a way of doing things. (Robert Fripp - kind of...)
dubbajim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubbajim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 07 at 18:05

I've sent the engine back to elite to get the noise sorted

having explain over a few heated conversations that the noise was only once the engine was up o temp the guys at elite told me to leave all the ancillary parts on the engine and they would have it all set up ready just to drop it straight back in, fair enough i though!

however when i phoned them today they still insist its just tappets, so once again i told them its only when it gets warm!

there response well we cant check that as we have no way of getting the engine up to temp IE no test bed.

is the normal for an engine re conditioner?

as i would have though in my limited knowledge that a company that built or reconditioned water cooled engines would be able to test and run in to an extent before they sent the engines out.

any help would be great

Skeeb View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
t4 guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 08 at 00:15
so whats the lastest on this ??????????
BCS Welsh massive
From Skeebville Nr Swansea
BCS shortest shortboarder 2006 ---
BCS Crap Surfer of the year 2007 !!!
BCS winner of nothing 2008 :(
BCS winner of nothing 2009 :(
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 08 at 16:41

read the other thread skeeb

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21359& amp;PN=1

Edited by jason k
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>