The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wider wheels/tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wider wheels/tyres
    Posted: 03 Sep 07 at 13:26

hi all need some help ive got standard wheels on my LT28 14 X 185 want to put wider wheels on is there a replacement i can use

any ideas

tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 07 at 16:12
i'm also looking for some wheels - although off roaders really... from what i've found out so far is that land rovers / range rovers don't fit - niether do Vitara or SJ wheels, so i guess it's gotta be vw rims...

But i managed to squeeze a 16" rim (with 185 / 60 tyre i think) without too much problems - will need a slight grind on the lower front inside of the front arch though.

Anyone know of any other makes of rim that fit the LTs???, theres so many on ebay but they are all for landys and SJs :(
Poggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 07 at 10:31

I have tried a Land Rover Disco wheel and although the wheel hole pattern is the same. As in the wheel will fit over the studs, they are definately not centralised over the wheel studs. So they are out.

I am also looking to a bigger wheel size so if anyone knows what fits then let us know, post away my friends, post away.

mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 07 at 11:51
Will the later shape lt or sprinter wheels fit ?dont know if there 15" or 16"

Mike
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 07 at 14:00
i was just thinking, if your brave, one possiblity is to use the sj rims / tyres which are 2 a penny, they are steel and the centres flat so if you got a good metal working shop to re drill em with the correct spacing - hey presto!

I've heard of people drilling "blank" alloys to fit, so why not steels?

Saying all that there must be a rim out there that fits!

I think the PCD is 180mm

spike72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 07 at 16:13
yeh there must be all i want is a wider tyre as the original tyres are a little skinny so do you think new lt rims would be ok to fit or were could i find out ??
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 07 at 13:42
well i've spent ages tralling the internet and can't find any info... think the only way of resolving this is to get down to a BIG scrapy with a tape measure!
spike72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 07 at 18:11

ive spoken to my local vw parts dept and the only way to get larger wheels is to change the back axel completely

oh bugger oh well skinny wheels it is then

Poggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 13:48
I'm still looking into this.   I was also wondering if a tyre garage such as Kwik Fit or National tyres might have any info on wheel fitment.
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 07 at 14:12
Originally posted by spike72 spike72 wrote:

ive spoken to my local vw parts dept and the only way to get larger wheels is to change the back axel completely

oh bugger oh well skinny wheels it is then

why's this? are you suggesting putting on the larger axle/hubs:

Edited by tomschute
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 07 at 10:38
GOOD NEWS... well for bigger rims anyway - not sure about width but here's your lead, it's taken me about a month to get this far so hope to see lots more LTs sporting fat off road tires

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20708

Now just need to find out how to raise suspension... anyone got any ideas?

Edited by tomschute
Poggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 07 at 09:08

Well that is good news. So a Ford Transit wheel from 2000 to current model should fit then.

I also came across this.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/alloyvan.html

They say they fit the LT,  Could be worth checking out.

AndyVan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
BCS Capt'n.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyVan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 19:13
...a set of Vantechs it is then!!....you could buy 2 panel vans for that!!...
BCS Gaffer and Volkswagen restoring bloke
eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 07 at 17:08

newbie here,  i tried a set of 15" and 16" transit wheels on my 1993 lt35 and they fit, but the wheel nuts off the lt dont marry up with the holes on the transit wheel...

i need to fit sleeves to the ford wheel, or find some wheel nuts that will cope.

also found that chrysler 300c wheels..Thumbs Up. and vauxhall sintra wheels...Disapprove are 5x115 pcd. need to try some of those on the van.

Poggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 07 at 19:30

Hello eltee, can you tell us what year the Transit was that the wheels came from. Also have you tried the Transit wheel nuts on to The LT?

What Model and year is your LT ?

Thanks.

eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 07 at 08:44

Poggle,

apparantly you get 15" on front wheel drive transits, and 16" on rear wheel drive transits. they have to be single rear wheel versions. the LT i have is 1993 2.4d high top lwb see pics in show your bus thread page 16. i tried the wheels on my van at work, and they fit, but the VW wheel nuts dont sit right on the ford wheel, the transit wheel nut is like a flat washer that sits against the wheel where as the VW is domed, and sits into a slight recess. Last night i found some old jag XJ40 wheel nuts which might do the job.

i will try and photo the differences and post them up tonight, just off to the Bathgate VW show, so will be gone till 4pm. another option i havent tried yet is french filth Relay, they look close, and are 16".

i am trying these options to get some extra legs on the motorway,as everyone says, 56mph slip streaming trucks is usually my only option.

eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 07 at 08:48
sorry Poggle the transit is 2000 on, W or X plate onwards,you cant miss them on the roads, they are usually sitting at 90 ish everywhere
Poggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 07 at 18:26

56 MPH is about right .  My 1994 LT28 2.4D will sit all day with the speedo needle at 90 kph. Had it up to 70 mph for the first time last week. It was like,, WOAH, this just doesn't feel or sound right. 

Keep us posted on the wheel saga.

tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 07 at 19:51
Originally posted by Poggle Poggle wrote:

Had it up to 70 mph for the first time last week. It was like,, WOAH, this just doesn't feel or sound right. 

70! wow indeed! i just cracked 69mph... one day... one day i'll do 70

oh well done on the wheel info - slowly getting there... oh and isn't the pcd 120 not 115??
eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 07 at 02:51

VW's etka gives 5x115 as the pcd for the front brake disc part number, but the wheel part number only shows wheel size, no pcd. i shall check it out at work tommorrow,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>