FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wider wheels/tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BenT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wider wheels/tyres
    Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 23:44
Originally posted by eltee eltee wrote:

BenT post some pictures of your van,

is it definately 6 lug? mines a 5 lug LT35d. sounds like you had an eventful trip
bringing it back home,
 maybe create a new post on your Vans adventures, and any rebuild or refit. it is really great to hear that an LT lives across the pond,

Just for records sake so that anyone else searching for these keywords can find, the bolt pattern for my 1976 VW LT35 is 6 X 205mm. Apparently that was one of the NATO standard patterns and happens to be the same as the Mercedes Unimogs.

Cheers,
BenT
LT35 SWB Panelvan 2.0 Petrol engine
BenT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 23:41
Originally posted by Lawsy Lawsy wrote:

why not just get the original wheels banded?

By "banded" do you mean weld different size rims? That service often cost more than buying new wheels in my area.

BenT
Lawsy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 08:11
why not just get the original wheels banded?
eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 08 at 15:11

BenT post some pictures of your van,

is it definately 6 lug? mines a 5 lug LT35d. sounds like you had an eventful trip
bringing it back home,
 maybe create a new post on your Vans adventures, and any rebuild or refit. it is really great to hear that an LT lives across the pond,
1993 2.4 Diesel VW LT35 LWB PAS self build camper
part of the "LT Massive"
1990 syncro part of the "off road massive"
BenT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 08 at 08:32

BenT did your lt arrive it would be interesting to know where you got it from, and how you are getting on with it.

Hi All,

I finally got my 1976 LT35 home. I bought it last April. After months of waiting for the transport company to get it home, I decided to fetch it myself. I wish I could say it was without drama but that was not the case.

The trip started innocently enough with a one hour train ride to an airport that services the area where the van was to be fetched. I live 3 minutes away from one of the busiest airports in the world but sadly, no flight leaves from here to my destination.

To make a long story short, I spent 12 hours on the road to traverse 396 miles of beautiful California freeways. That trip normally takes me less than 5 hours in one of my Porsches. One hour of that trip was spent for on the back of a roll-on transporter. The rest was a combination of waiting, stopping, and driving very slow.

1) Almost got hit by a driver heading south at 80mph. I was, along with everybody on that road, driving north. The wrong way driver was shortly intercepted by the police. Missed my LT by about 2-3 feet.

2) About 2/3 into the trip, a tractor/trailer (so called 18-wheelers) on Interstate-5 spilled one of the large tubs of tomatos he was hauling. This tub is abiout 1 meter deep by 4 meters by about 12 meters. The resulting mess was about knee deep on the road. It wasn't long after when a speeding red and white (BMW) Mini Cooper to plowed into the red genetically engineered globules. I spotted the truck (lorry?) 3 miles past the mess. He just realized he lost half his cargo.

Both incidents made the evening news.

That was about 3 days ago depending on your timezone. Thus far I have done the following:

1) Re-keyed all the locks so they all work on the same key instead 4 different ones.

2) Determined fuel gauge reading of 1/2 tank is actually "empty". Discorvery was at a very busy intersection.

3) Found leaks in the cooling system, brake system, exhaust system, and the roof.

4) Bled air out of brake system so I can stop now.

I'm still trying to determine the wheel bolt pattern. It's 6-lug and defnitely large. No caliper available at my disposal to make exact measurements yet.

Cheers,

Edited by BenT - 03 Aug 08 at 08:32
BenT
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 08 at 17:05
why not try machine 7 to make you adaptors to suit whatever pcd you need the "other"wheels to be?? ie 5x 112 to 5x 130

it would be just like fitting porsche wheels to a wedge then. dead easy
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 08 at 23:23
Anyone know the correct weight loading for tyres on our LT's?
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
surfzone View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 08 at 07:54
Hi All
I have been looking into alloys for my LT
BenT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 08 at 22:46

BenT did your lt arrive it would be interesting to know where you got it from, and how you are getting on with it.

eltee,

Transporting the van the 400 miles between Los Angeles, California and San Francisco has been more challenging than transporting my T3 Syncro 16 from Germany to here! I contracted with two different transport companies and neither has performed. I find myself having to fly in to LAX to drive the beast north to my home in the San Francisco area. It will be a challenge as top speed is supposedly 65mph with comfortable cruising at 55mph.  That may have been fine 10 years ago but with the speed limit on I-5 (Interstate Highway 5) at 70mph-75mph, most cars are flying by at 80mph+. Plus there will be the occasional low flyer going some 120+mph. Yes, we have the infamous CHiP patrol cars there. But with hundreds of miles of open, mostly straight roadway, the handful of CHP cars on duty have their hands full. I suppose this is Karmic justie for me. I have made that run at 140mph+ before in various Porsches. Now imagine me tooling along at the almost illegal 55mph in a big green monster.

It's a 1976, rusty on the edges LT35 with the original Audi 2.0 single carbureted engine. To top that off, I have no idea what sort of condition the engine is in toerh than the Seller saying it "...runs on the freeway fine but it has a pool of brake fluid on the driver's side floor." He doesn't even know where the reservoir is located. Since it is LHD, I assume it;s from Germany or thereabouts. It has been in California for more than a decade. I had seen it for sale on TheSamba.com for twice the price that I paid. Apparently the present owner got it for free when he found it abandoned in an apartment complex he acquired. Or so goes the story.

Many challenges ahead of me coming up.  It is very coincidental that you should answer this post from so long ago. I happen to be chatting with the seller to arrange airport pick-up as I saw your posting.

Cheers,

Edited by BenT - 24 Jul 08 at 23:19
BenT
eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 08 at 22:26
1993 2.4 Diesel VW LT35 LWB PAS self build camper
part of the "LT Massive"
1990 syncro part of the "off road massive"
BenT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 08 at 10:24
Hello All,

I'm not just a newbie on this board but a newbie at LT ownership. I've had plenty of T3's and other VW's so some of you might be familiar with me on the other forums.

Anyway, I am awaiting delivery of a recently acquired 1976 LT35 Panelvan. It's a rare beast in my part of the world.

Since the vehicle is not here yet for 2-3 more weeks,  I can't measure anything. I was hoping to find out what the wheel pattern is. Are the LT35's equipped with same wheels as the LT28's? Was the bolt pattern changed over the years? I can figure out what wheel to fit if i can figure out what the bolt pattern. Options are very limited here in the US but custom drilled wheels are available. 

Help!

BenT
lt35man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lt35man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 08 at 15:32
so which transit wheels fit?,ones from a single wheeler smiley front shape? or later?
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 07 at 22:15

etka picture of brake discs for my 93 lt, showing 5x115 pcd

Eltee

ok im confused...

i've got an lt 35, 93, high top 6 cyl diesel and i just measured the PCD by using the formula found here... http://www.a1tow.btinternet.co.uk/page39.html

i made the PCD to be 157 assuming the studs are 92.5mm apart (perhaps PCD160 is what it actually is but i can only be so acurate with a tape measure in the dark!!).

Transit PCD is 160 from what i've been told and found, eg... http://www.bugbitz.com/wheel.html#FORD

But you have the ford wheels on and thats all that really matters, it would just be nice to be 100% for future referance.

i think this is about as clear as mud

eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 07 at 11:04

etka picture of brake discs for my 93 lt, showing 5x115 pcd

Eltee

eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 07 at 09:12

poggle, just got back into work this morning after a few days off try to upload some pics of wheels and stuff and pcds

eltee 

Poggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 07 at 19:02

[/QUOTE

i had my 2.4 petrol at 75 the weekend just gone down hill with wind behind me

but then caught fire

[/QUOTE]

0n a private road of course...

spike72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 07 at 15:53
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

Originally posted by Poggle Poggle wrote:

Had it up to 70 mph for the first time last week. It was like,, WOAH, this just doesn't feel or sound right. 

70! wow indeed! i just cracked 69mph... one day... one day i'll do 70

oh well done on the wheel info - slowly getting there... oh and isn't the pcd 120 not 115??

i had my 2.4 petrol at 75 the weekend just gone down hill with wind behind me

but then caught fire

eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 07 at 02:51

VW's etka gives 5x115 as the pcd for the front brake disc part number, but the wheel part number only shows wheel size, no pcd. i shall check it out at work tommorrow,

tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 07 at 19:51
Originally posted by Poggle Poggle wrote:

Had it up to 70 mph for the first time last week. It was like,, WOAH, this just doesn't feel or sound right. 

70! wow indeed! i just cracked 69mph... one day... one day i'll do 70

oh well done on the wheel info - slowly getting there... oh and isn't the pcd 120 not 115??
Poggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 07 at 18:26

56 MPH is about right .  My 1994 LT28 2.4D will sit all day with the speedo needle at 90 kph. Had it up to 70 mph for the first time last week. It was like,, WOAH, this just doesn't feel or sound right. 

Keep us posted on the wheel saga.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>