The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 lowering thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
transporter boy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transporter boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 08 at 16:14
Hi guys,

My van failed its mot last week Cry on the coil springs so that gave me the kick up the arse to get it lowered Smile  went on ebay and found some jamex springs for a great price and delivered within 2 days, think I may hang them from the rear view mirror as they look to nice to hide under the van LOL  anyway after now getting over a bad cold I dicided to make a start on the torsion bars this morning, jacked up the van stuck it on axle stands took off the wheel and engine cover and after about 10 min looking for the adjuster bolt I gave inConfused  are some vans different??? cos I couldnt find it, my van is a 2000 tdi 2.5 swb 88bhp

cheers,
Andy.
jets View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 08 at 00:27
Take a look further back, just behind the fuel tank.
transporter boy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transporter boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 08 at 08:45
Cheers Jets,
I had a look last night and found them, I was looking in front of the fuel tank, going to have a go at them now.
xajayx View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xajayx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 08 at 19:52
how low can the font go? 60mm ???
james 1978 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james 1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 09 at 15:01
my mate has a tube box spanner thingy
got it from an iveco van
was for changing wheels
is perfect

wd 40, wire brush, then coat in copper slip, threads eaasy then Wink

i got some cheap springs on the bay too
they say 80 on them, and erm, rear is on the floor
lookc cool, but need some new shorter shocks now, as the originals are bottoming out Confused
S.OSHEA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.OSHEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 09 at 10:14
HI
is their any differance in lowering a
syncro? are all spring kits the same? thanks
guy,s
steve.
Rixy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rixy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 09 at 18:45
some1 told me that bmw e36 rear springs are a lowering spring for the t4? is this correct?? Im guessing spring rate etc will be diff, but will they do the job on the cheap  for now??
www.ec-dc.co.uk
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 09 at 19:13
Originally posted by Rixy Rixy wrote:

some1 told me that bmw e36 rear springs are a lowering spring for the t4? is this correct?? Im guessing spring rate etc will be diff, but will they do the job on the cheap  for now??

Doing the job on the cheap usually means un-safe as well.

Why fit BMW car springs when the proper things aren't expensive? Confused

paul_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 09 at 23:00
i must have been lucky with mine, 27mm open ended and a slight bit of gurning and down came the torsion nuts, nice and easy. found the rears a piece of the preverbial aswell, apart from the top bolt on the drivers side strut being siezed so i removed the bottom mount bolt instead. easy! i fitted 60mm springs but to be honest, they didnt lower it as much as i had hoped, i've since fitted -15mm lowering plates aswell and this made all the difference.
as an aside, bear in mind if your's is an AA van like mine, rip out the air bags whilst the rear is apart, they're probably knackered and will affect the damper travel on a lowered van
"YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY TO RIDE A BICYCLE, BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM TO FIX IT....."
feelingfunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feelingfunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 09 at 11:13
Refering to the exploded diagram of the front suspension set up...

Has any one ever found that on jacking up the front end, the Torsion bar (No1) falls out of the Rubber mounting saddle (No3).
They both sit tight up in the saddle on my van, but on my mates van one side falls out while the other sits tight!
Could this explain the random knocking noise we are trying to get to the bottom of? Could it be just a worn rubber mounting saddle or does it mean the torsion bar is bent/ twisted because we can't seem to find any other explanation?

Has anyone seen this before? any help greatly apprieciated!
feelingfunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feelingfunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 09 at 08:26
HELP!?! Bump...
kniterider View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kniterider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 20:00
got some jamex springs delivered today Confused , have soaked all bits i need to adjust in wd40 and am gonna have an attempt at the weekend... and if its bouncy like my old t4 then ill be buyin some shorter shocks!!

great write up, didnt realise the front was so easy till i read this!!
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 09 at 19:30
Originally posted by feelingfunky feelingfunky wrote:

Refering to the exploded diagram of the front suspension set up...

Has any one ever found that on jacking up the front end, the Torsion bar (No1) falls out of the Rubber mounting saddle (No3).
They both sit tight up in the saddle on my van, but on my mates van one side falls out while the other sits tight!
Could this explain the random knocking noise we are trying to get to the bottom of? Could it be just a worn rubber mounting saddle or does it mean the torsion bar is bent/ twisted because we can't seem to find any other explanation?

Has anyone seen this before? any help greatly apprieciated!
If you lower them too mcuh you take the pre-load away from the torsion bar, and what you describe happens, the rubber saddle can become dislodged.
Always leave some preload on the springs.
jimbo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 09 at 23:24
Hey Kniterider - hows the rest of the van going??
When there's always biscuits in the barrell, where's the fun in biscuits??
Crusti Croc View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusti Croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 09 at 20:12
I got a seized torsion bar nut - tried everything to shift it (the other one is virtually finger tight). I would get a gas axe to it but I need to drop the underfloor CAK tank first, which is held up with stainless bolts (one sheared). So I've opened up a whole can of worms, just to lower the van. How long should it take - an hour or a week?

Been here, there and everywhere
anden View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 09 at 19:54
get some more mechanical advantage, adjustable spanner tucked in a scaffolding pole released mine a tread, 4 ft of MA did the trick! 3 days of wd40 soak too and squeeky clean threads before i tried to move it, 2-3 complete roations and down onto the clean thread and it was finger loose almost.
Smilo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 09 at 20:17
A coupla months ago I went to Brickwerks where Simon fitted a 20mm shim. By good fortune, I suppose, no more adjustment was needed and the bloody "Westy Lean" has completely disappeared. What a relief - it was very annoying (to slide off the driver's seat every time I went too fast around a rh corner).

Edited by Smilo - 28 Sep 09 at 20:19
http://sumdoood.blogspot.com/
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusti Croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 09 at 20:54
Originally posted by anden anden wrote:

get some more mechanical advantage, adjustable spanner tucked in a scaffolding pole released mine a tread, 4 ft of MA did the trick! 3 days of wd40 soak too and squeeky clean threads before i tried to move it, 2-3 complete roations and down onto the clean thread and it was finger loose almost.

How long does the scaffold pole have to be - I was standing the other side of the van - all it did was to round off my specially bought socket. With the springs fitted, I twatted my towbar sockets on a speed hump - so I've given up on lowering and raised the rear instead for a Syncro look (all I need is the knobbly tyres).

Keeping the springs for a new project...
7/11=12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7/11=12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 08:04
Originally posted by Crusti Croc Crusti Croc wrote:

How long does the scaffold pole have to be - I was standing the other side of the van - all it did was to round off my specially bought socket. With the springs fitted, I twatted my towbar sockets on a speed hump - so I've given up on lowering and raised the rear instead for a Syncro look (all I need is the knobbly tyres).

hi mate my advice is to use single x type sockets/spanners the ones that look like a 50p shape,,then it fits around the nut/bolt perfectly & keep spraying the said nut/bolt/tread with penertrating fluid over a few days before having a go at it,,a decent sized braker bar should help tooThumbs Up
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusti Croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 18:40
Originally posted by 7/11=12 7/11=12 wrote:

Originally posted by Crusti Croc Crusti Croc wrote:

hi mate my advice is to use single x type sockets/spanners the ones that look like a 50p shape,,then it fits around the nut/bolt perfectly & keep spraying the said nut/bolt/tread with penertrating fluid over a few days before having a go at it,,a decent sized braker bar should help tooThumbs Up

Yeah this was over three Saturdays on a four poster at my local garage. Even they got scared. If it wasn't for the water tank we would have split the old nut. Range Rover wheel nuts are 27mm, by the way, but the sockets aren't deep enough to reach my nuts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>