FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJuddering when pulling off in 1st

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Juddering when pulling off in 1st
    Posted: 25 Jul 07 at 14:23

I am sure that this has already been covered in an earlier post but I thought that I would ask the fountain of knowledge that is the brick-yard to see if any of you have come up with any sollutions.

When the engine is cold (this only happens when the engine is cold) and I pull off from a stand still in 1st the whole van judders.... I push the clutch in and the judder disappears...

I went into Harber and Hebson today (my local dealer in Carlisle) and they said that it was "something to be worried about" and that it would be a good idea to get the van seen to before September (when my warranty runs out).

What do you guys think?

Kind Regards

Mute

A Special Kind of Freedom
Mutesinger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 07 at 14:27

I have booked the van in for an appointment today and the van centre are going to have a look..... they said that it would probs be something covered by warranty...

I am worried that this might cost me a fortune..... i cant afford a lot of money at the moment...

I should add some facts about the van

T28 Panel Van 130

97,000 miles but working well (apart from this judder)

Kind Regards

Mute

A Special Kind of Freedom
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 07 at 15:31
Hi Mute, when mine did that a new flywheel cured it. It should certainly be covered by warranty too.
RICK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 07 at 17:55
mine does it in reverse mute its a 130 t32 will get it seen too at some point
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 07 at 20:33

Mine does it too mainly when its cold ist thing , but sometimes in reverse when its not been driven far .

It was in the dealers yesterday for the new steering shaft /clonk. i asked them to check it out but they couldn't get it to do it and said not to worry if its only first thing in the morning . i asked them to log that i have told them about it incase it becomes an issue .

I wonder if it could be damp clutch due to condensation with all the wet weather etc it is worse if the van has stood for a day or two .  Mines only done 22k.

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
RICK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 07 at 21:27
same as mine kernow it has also done 22000
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 07 at 22:06

Originally posted by RICK RICK wrote:

same as mine kernow it has also done 22000

Glad iam not alone . iam not really that worried about it , unless it gets worse and does it all the time . Maybe its a self healing thing , the rattle I had on the dash has just gone , 2 weeks now and i haven't heard it at all .

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 07 at 10:01

Heres a copy of a post of mine just over a year ago-

Posted: 09 - Jun - 06 at 12:41 | IP Logged  

For some weeks now, my 174 has had clutch judder, but only first thing and for the first two or three pull offs. I mentioned it to the dealer some time ago. They were quick to point out that the clutch would not be covered, as its a wearing item (van has done 50k now)

I pointed out that if its caused by contaminaton from a leaking gearbox, for instance, its irrelevant how much use the clutch has had and it should be covered. To be fair, they listened and offered to look at it. Trouble is, it means them having it overnight and if a grease monkey pulls off with loads of revs, he could miss it. Anyone else noticed a prob?

The cause is the flywheel, the dealers know its the flywheel, i'd get them done asap so the dealer cant claim its wear and tear as you continue to put the miles on.

Desco View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 07 at 13:17
my 102 only judders when its warm - its fine when cold.  i'd assumed the plates were contaminated (i plan to take it in and get it seen to soon as i can)
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 07 at 18:11

Any idea what the problemis with the flywheel , cracking or just warping .

My old transit always had a bad judder , especially after not being used , giving the clutch a slip used to sort it out , i guess it just cleaned up the plates and flywheel .

I did cross my mind when the judder was worse when revering if it could be an engine mount problem .

No manufacturers will cover clutches it seems , not a chance with french rubbish , I know from experience . My dad had a clutch cover break up on a shitroen and they still wouldn't cover it . Told him not to buy it

CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 07 at 18:56
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

Any idea what the problemis with the flywheel , cracking or just warping .

My old transit always had a bad judder , especially after not being used , giving the clutch a slip used to sort it out , i guess it just cleaned up the plates and flywheel .

I did cross my mind when the judder was worse when revering if it could be an engine mount problem .

No manufacturers will cover clutches it seems , not a chance with french rubbish , I know from experience . My dad had a clutch cover break up on a shitroen and they still wouldn't cover it . Told him not to buy it

I saw mine when the gearbox was removed. Some on here can no doubt give a better explanation, but from memory it is in two parts with springs set in it and i suppose the springs start to lose their tension. It wont heal its self and i think when dual mass flywheels are really knackered the springs can fall out (dont know about T5's but on cars they do , and cause carnage. Apparently a T5 flywheel comes complete with clutch, so you should get a new clutch as well. Mine was worse reversing, and i thought eng mountings, or rust, or oil, but it was none of those. It would be ok for the rest of the day after it had got warm.

Sounds like your tranny had oil on it, which a good slipping fetched off. 

Freeley View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 07 at 19:38

Jumped in the van this morning and realised when pulling away from my uphill driveway that mine does it too.

I thought that perhaps it was just down to a cold clutch and the load being put on it but maybe I should get it checked out - I just don't have the time at the moment tho.

09 California 174 Tiptronic Storm Blue (with everything including the kitchen sink)!
61 T30 LWB PV 140 Pure Grey.
pymn2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 07 at 20:10

lovin the shitron thing ,my old tranny would judder like pete docherty in the morning without his gear all the time.

a real pain in the arse it was fly wheel and clutch plates they said at dealer ,they done and it was still rubbish

dont do signatures
 Post Reply Post Reply