FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGear linkage Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear linkage Adjustment
    Posted: 03 Jul 07 at 21:11

I`m sure to most of us mechanical geniuses this is obvious, but some mortals ,may have to follow manuals to the letter because they`re not mechanically minded .And if you follow the haynes manual procedure to adjust the gearbox linkage,especially the bit where it says to “6. From under the vehicle slacken the clamp pinch-bolt securing the shift rods together (see illustration)”.It doesn’t say to make sure the 2 rods move freely in and out of each other. I`m doing mine for the first time and I`m still trying to free them ,

I can imagine some people slackening the clamp not realising the rods are seized together,and doing all the shacking it about with the gearstick  it tells you to do in the Haynes manual then tightening the clamp, and feeling chuffed with themselves for a job well done ,when in fact the linkage is exactly the same as when they started.

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 07 at 00:04

What is wrong with it before you go and make a pigs ear of an adjustment that doesn't just go out of adjustment on it's own?

Thing is, if you have gear selection problems the first thing is to buy a can of spray greay and spray all the bits you can see that move.

If that doesn't fix it then do your knuckles hit the radio? if so then you need a new gear lever because it will be bent from forcing it into gear because the linkage has never been lubed.

If that doesn't cure it, or the lever is straight (it should be straight, with one bend in it, then straight again) then maybe it needs a gearlever repair kit fitting, reasonably simple, the kit is £37 ish from VW and contains all the bushes and that, that are needed to remove any slop from the gearlever linkage.

If that isn't worn then check just after the fuel tank that the UJ there isn't knackered.

basically what I am saying is that don't f**k about with something thats a right bastard to set unless you know that it is 100% the problem, out of all the pieces in the linkage that adjustment is the least likely part of the whole system that will give any trouble.

If you have gear selection problems replace the worn parts first as you will never adjust out worn part by messing with what you are intedning to mess with.

charlie40 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 07 at 17:44
I`ve Just changed the gearbox ,The gear change was fine on the old box .Gear change on the new box is sh*t, I`m hopeing the linkage needs adusting because of the change of box,and not that the new box is fooked.
SyncroSam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 07 at 20:49
Try adjusting where the linkage bolts to the gearbox. The bolts are slightly smaller than the holes, so the bracket can be moved about a bit.
Cheers,
Sam.
charlie40 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 07 at 20:35

Cheers SyncroSam All sorted now ,I tried adusting the bracket you said about and I found it is better at its lower point ,when I lifted it up before tightening I could`nt get reverse.

peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 07 at 14:34

I have found in my various gerabox/linkage  changes that the piece that caused me all the problem ws the worn alloy piece down at teh gear box end. Replaced both that (£18) and the plastic ball knuckle (£12) that fittted in and a lot of baulkiness and slop was taken out. And then as Mr B says replace the gearlever end n you should be getting somewhere! Tis a pain in butt job but seems to be getting easier more i do it - i haint had to for 18 months since i done the above!

BTW why is the diesel front end so totally different? And is there any adjustment there like the petrol ones?

Firefighter twisted Firefighter...
charlie40 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 07 at 19:34
Cheers Peet I`ll order them today.
Germman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Vanarchist.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 07 at 18:51
 i find you dont need to shell out the 12 quid for the nylon ball knuckle thingies just turn them thru 90 deg with a pair of gripps on the flat worn face ,works for me !
http://picasaweb.google.com/germmanmark

Coventry near Vanarchy

*Wanted mint early AC STUFF*

peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 07 at 21:29
Ya mole grip wielding vanarchist! Colud told me that before i spent £12...
Firefighter twisted Firefighter...
charlie40 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 07 at 19:27

Cheers Peet ,Changed those parts. Brilliant it’s a pleasure to drive now , and I can get reverse first time

deano View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 07 at 21:27
qick question. the nylon ball knuckle you mention, is it supposed to be fully in a metal case or does it sit half in half out? i'm no mechanic and my gears are fine but my mate rekons it should be further down in the metal casing? any ideas chaps? sorry to be vague.
 Post Reply Post Reply