FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBreakdown Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakdown Cover
    Posted: 05 Jun 07 at 17:59

Have been thinking about breakdown cover as the VW cover expired with the warranty at the end of Feb, and only now got around to looking online.

AA and RAC appear to provide recovery at about £70 although on the RAC site there was a mention about non commercial vehicles only so I assume they will quote individually (extra cost).

Green Flag however have just online quoted me vehicle only/any driver cover for a tad over £55 which I'm tempted to take up.

Anyone had the misfortune to need recovery and care to comment/advise on service, cost/value for money, personal experience.   

Thanks in advance

T30 104 Kombi
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 07 at 20:58

I have a 4th years warranty which VW contributed to because of all my problems.  I was offered the choice to buy it direct from Mondial (who administer all VW warranties).  It saved me £100 but didn't include the breakdown cover.  I've added that because I especially want the recovery aspect.  I got mine for £30 through the Caravan Club using Green Flag.  (You have to be a member).

The only thing you want to watch is that if they can fix it on the road they will charge you and not recover you.  On the two times I have broken down I have been able to temporarily repair the problem myself.  As you bought direct from Green Flag it may be different for you.

There was a mention about commercial vehicles being excluded in the bumph I got with my policy but they have my reg and the policy states what the vehicle is.  I was going to make them confirm it in writing but I haven't had time.

2004 2.5 174
kombi57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 07 at 21:27
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

There was a mention about commercial vehicles being excluded in the bumph I got with my policy but they have my reg and the policy states what the vehicle is.  I was going to make them confirm it in writing but I haven't had time.

Thanks for the reply. Think I may delve into the online blurb a bit more. The quote I had required my Reg no and the vehicle details came up from that, so they know vehicle type etc, but it may be worth further enquiry. At £55 they still seem to be the cheapest.
As the old adage buy cheap pay twice, I'm wary of being left with poor cover and extras to pay for, but with breakdown cover if youre in a position of calling them out its too late.
Ive since looked at britania and they're about £73 same as RAC and AA online offers.

T30 104 Kombi
motoYAKA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 07 at 10:55

Have had the misfortune to use breakdown/ recovery service about a year ago - but on my "old" car - F*rd F*cus - not the Shuttle (as yet, fingers crossed)!

I had cover with Direct Line who used the Green Flag network at the time. These are independent garages under the Green Flag contract, and as part of the Direct Line service they are obliged to arive on-site within the hour.

Sure enough 55 minutes after the call the recovery truck appears, and, true to form, the car restarted straight away. I gave the guy the details of the breakdown and he said that he would follow for a few miles to see what happened, and of course the b*stard thing stopped again - this time in the road-works contraflow on the M11 southbound

Recovery at that point was instant and the guys provided recovery back to my local F*rd garage as the car was still under warranty.

Had a good service and wouldn't be worried about using Direct Line or Green Flag for recovery again. The journey back was also very useful in deciding which van to go for. Mechanic advised which vans he had to repair/ recover the most and the VW was the one he would recommend - top bloke  (Apparently the V*v*ro/ Prim*st*r/ French filth were regular customers with shagged gear boxes)

Decision made on the van and now very happy.

-------- Life's a trip - take a paddle! --------
Mutley View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 07 at 12:46

We had good experience with the RAC, after an attrocious fiasco several years ago with the AA leaving us stranded in France.

But this was not with the T5, but the experience with the AA was so bad that I won't consider them. I can't think its got any better with now that they're owned by a PEF thats probably stripping the assets of it as we speak.

Bilbo Celex campervan - T5 LWB 130 Tiptronic
kombi57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 07 at 18:59

Thanks Guys,
Was torn between RAC and Green Flag. By far the best price wise is Green Flag so think I'll check it out further when I get time.

T30 104 Kombi
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 16:57

Originally posted by kombi57 kombi57 wrote:

Thanks Guys,
Was torn between RAC and Green Flag. By far the best price wise is Green Flag so think I'll check it out further when I get time.

What did you go with Kombi57?

Did you ask the RAC about the 'extra' premium payable for car derived vans?

My warranty is up in a couple of weeks and I'm unsure what to do about my  breakdown recovery cover.

kombi57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 18:01

Hi Berisford,
went for Green Flag in the end (Recovery - £55ish). Purely a price thing. RAC and AA were showing discounted prices for cars of about £75 (from £95ish)but wanted to individually quote vans. Didnt go into it much deeper than prices and reading on screen blurb(spent too long on it anyway). There was mention of vans or commercial vehicles somewhere, but with Green Flag its the vehicle thats covered not a driver covered for any vehicle, so as Ive only driven my vehicle for more years than I care to remember it seemed to suit me. When you put in your reg no the vehicle details come up anyway and the policy states that its the vehicle detailed on it thats covered so should be no problem. Up to 1hr roadside labour covered ( parts are extra) plus recovery to home/nearest garage/destination depends on where you breakdown I suppose as to where to go.

T30 104 Kombi
kombi57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 18:07

Forgot to mention that Green Flag is part of Direct Line. Have claimed off them before and it was pretty painless, so should be ok for recovery. You may want the Recovery+ or europe options (additional cost) depending on where you travel.

Be interesting to know what you think and/or who you go with.
T30 104 Kombi
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 18:55
hi all i have rac cover which costs around £130 a year thats for a car as well
thats full recovery money well spent if you have to get towed off any motor
way
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 19:04

Originally posted by gason gason wrote:

hi all i have rac cover which costs around £130 a year thats for a car as well
thats full recovery money well spent if you have to get towed off any motor
way

Did you have to pay above the normal price 'cause of the T5 gason?

gynger6 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 07 at 17:31

You could always renew it with VW 0500 275577

£89.00 for one year or £155.00 for 2 years

Cut it Down, Paint it Black. 1972 Cross-over & 2008 Sportline
Busman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 07 at 23:27
Direct Line (Green Flag) for £97 all in, skipped the hire car though for £14... I know, too tight for words!
 Post Reply Post Reply