FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to build a Sleeping platform

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to build a Sleeping platform
    Posted: 27 Apr 07 at 13:43

Here are two photos:  1 of the right-hand rail that I have installed in my T5 Caravelle in order to support a sleeping platform. That nut on the floor will go, and be replaced by a countersunk allen bolt.

And 1 photo showing the bracket that I installed behind the rear light.

I did something similar in my T4 Kombi eight years ago, and it has proved very practical in use.  I'm sorry the rear fixing is not very neat - it'll be hidden, but I'm sure some of you lot will have a fit over it - and quite rightly so.

It is a shame that I have had to do this to a Caravelle , but I could not get a Kombi to the spec I wanted.  I had to remove the rear heating device, but I left the two matrix in place, with a view to making a water heater so that I can make hot coffee on the go, but that's another story.  Actually, you Brits may not recognise it as a Caravelle, as the UK Caravelles are really Multivans.

My aim is to be able to carry a large motorcycle in the left-hand side of the load area, and to provide a bed in the right-hand side.  And to be able to extend the bed right across the van to make a double bed for when carrying wife instead of motorcycle .

In my T4 I wanted the space under the double bed sleeping platform to be support free, so I ran 2x2 rails across from the two side rails, then fixed 18mm ply to that.  But this means that I had to remove, and add, quite a lot of stuff in order to convert it into the bike/single bed layout.

This time I agree to have a wall, running front to rear, under the sleeping platform.  This will make conversion from me/bike-mode to me/wife-mode much quicker and easier.

I've installed the right-hand rail using a strong L-bracket pop-riveted to the panel just behind the rear light, and another bracket fixed to the seat-belt mounting point at the top of the wheel arch. There will be a third fixing at the front, that will extend through the ply floor to the space underneath, where the entrance step used to be (this space is now a storage locker).  There are only three fixings, and they will all be wing-nuts.  It is very strong, and removal takes 5 minutes at most.  The me/bike bed will be a 70 cm wide 12mm ply sheet that will rest on the rail on the right-hand side, and a 12mm ply wall on the left-hand side.  My wife's bed will fit between mine and another rail running along the left side of the interior.  Her bed will be quick to install/remove, and the side-rail can normally be left in place, as it is unobtrusive.

I do not try to fit the ply sleeping platform to the contours of the inside of the van.  I leave a few cms space for several reasons: no squeaks, transportation of flat things, ventilation, ease of making etc.  It also means that if you have a Kombi, you can get the hard-board interior trim panels off without removing the platform (to add insulation or repair panels for instance).

I expect/hope to have this finished by 2nd May, so may be able to supply some photos then if anyone is interested.

Regards

Happy Yellow

Edited by Happy Yellow - 10 Dec 09 at 12:15
2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 12:21
This is the sleeping platform in me+bike layout.

It's easy to add the left-hand section to make a double bed - it rests in the rebate on the right (and fixed with 4 screws) and on another leg-section, similar to the one that can be seen in my first photo in the previous post.  I'll add a photo later.

Edited by Happy Yellow - 10 Dec 09 at 12:36
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 12:34
I lined the floor with 18mm plywood, and routed out sections of the underside of the plywood to take the seat fixings, hence winning 10mm load-space height.

I ran the plywood floor over the side door step so as to form a small locker.  I store the jack and warning triangle there.

I'll post more photos of the (almost) finished thing soon.

Post Reply Post Reply