FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRHD westys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 07 at 19:43

[/QUOTE]

My upstairs is totally different. It has one fold down panel, one attached to the hard base and folds down and sits on a ledge.

[/QUOTE]

Mine too

Paul, Sarah, Cleo n Erin - Bristol

85 Poptop Westy Jkr
The Weatherman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 07 at 19:50

Originally posted by Red Leader Red Leader wrote:

Alright you smug git.  Thanks fo the phone call.

No worries, thanks for the thread dude, and finding out the truth.

It's out there

Red Leader View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 07 at 19:53
Originally posted by The Weatherman The Weatherman wrote:

Alright you smug git.  Thanks fo the phone call.

No worries, thanks for the thread dude, and finding out the truth.

It's out there

Got a big smile on my face for you.  Don't tell em what you got if for, send the thread to that Kiwi traveller you got it from.

Smile be happy :)
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 07 at 19:59

Got a big smile on my face for you.  Don't tell em what you got if for, send the thread to that Kiwi traveller you got it from.

Thanks fella - well included in the price was about a grands worth of 'stuff'. Literally TV's, radios, everything he had in his flat he gave me as he was leaving!!!

Put is this way, my badger has cost WAY more than the wedge

Dr Dub View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 07 at 00:07
I stand corrected too - a rare bus - probably still a LHD bodyshell though (wiper pressings and hinge cover on non sliding door side) ?.
2011 camperjam tug and chug team member
CALLERS NEVER FAIL - DREAMERS USE E MAIL !!

Bristol Area-Tel 07721577612
lloyd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 07 at 10:19
We also have a 'westy conversion' with full width seat/bed in a LHD with a Riemo hi-top imported from the Netherlands 7 years ago.  The interior is same as the RHD conversion, but on opposite side!  It looks to be they made a 'universal' conversion except for the wardrobe and roof locker only fitting on left side. We are on our way out at the moment, but I will look at paperwork etc. and post back. 

Lloyd 

Edited by lloyd
Brixham, Devon
88 LHD 1.9 4sp westy conversion Reimo hi-top
*sparkle* View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 07 at 11:36

Originally posted by The Weatherman The Weatherman wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure it it's just 2 bits, 1 bit folds down (we only use it for storage).

My early westy joker is two bits with one bit folding down too if that helps.

Tx

lloyd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 07 at 14:39
Sticker under dash is:
37-2-8371
wu2zzz25        zKH827991
253  061
DG         &nbs p;  ABD
LH3D         AQ

N53   018   050   085   258   622
912   984   990

I have no idea what these codes mean except for DG and ADB being engine and trans.

We have the Reimo hi-top with storage cabinets on both ends, so no upper berth.   The opening into topper looks about the same.  I'm sure the galley and table leg mounting seat are the same, but on other side of van.  The table leg mount is in same place in small cabinet/seat.  Near galley in our LHD, near bed/seat in RHD.  Our water tank is behind driver's seat.  Gas bottle is under sink in galley cabinet.  Our wardrobe cabinet is the older fold-down door and our color is the brown trim on biege.  We have no waste water tank, just the hose nozzle underneath.  We will be at Dub Freeze.  Would love to compare it to the RHD install!
Brixham, Devon
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 07 at 15:05

I won't be at the Freeze.

All others though

Bin 'jammin' View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 07 at 18:31

Oh here we go..... never going to hear the end of this now are we.

Viz has only gone and got the rarest bloody wedge.

And why arent you going to dub freeze?

"So I rang up a local building firm, I said 'I want a skip outside my house.'He said 'I'm not stopping you.'

BusHaus
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 07 at 00:10
Originally posted by Bin 'jammin' Bin 'jammin' wrote:

Oh here we go..... never going to hear the end of this now are we.

Viz has only gone and got the rarest bloody wedge.

And why arent you going to dub freeze?

You sound jealous?

Not at the freeze, but come see me for Volksworld?

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 07 at 00:21

Originally posted by lloyd lloyd wrote:

We also have a 'westy conversion' with full width seat/bed in a LHD with a Riemo hi-top imported from the Netherlands 7 years ago.  The interior is same as the RHD conversion, but on opposite side!  It looks to be they made a 'universal' conversion except for the wardrobe and roof locker only fitting on left side. We are on our way out at the moment, but I will look at paperwork etc. and post back. 

Lloyd 

is it not just a Westy with a Reimo top?

lloyd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 07 at 08:19
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

is it not just a Westy with a Reimo top?

No, the galley, seat alongside of galley and rock n roll seat are different then 'factory' Westys.  Galley does not have the control panel on front like factory, hob controls are in top, sink/hob has burners front to rear not side by side, smaller ZIG transformer unit under seat, no light shelf above galley window, no vent duct over sliding door.  Interior is like this link:  http://forum.80-90.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13316&highlight =rhd+westfalia  with galley and seat alongside of galley on left side and upholstery is same.  Under dash sticker codes are 5 posts above. 

Edited by lloyd
Brixham, Devon
mazz View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 22:25
[QUOTE=g60steve]

Well here's the link from 80-90 i dug the pics from.....oh and the owner said his next job was to fit a TDi...."Useless c*nt"....maybe

http://forum.80-90.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13316&highlight =rhd+westfalia

The biege westfalia in question belongs to a good friend of mine it was imported by lazydays in shropshire the sole importer for RHD westies it come with full uk westfalia owners book and brochure plus options guide with prices ,all in english RHD westies obviously exist because i have sat,drove and even had some bacon and egg sarnies in this one the van has just come back from a full respray and is now awiating tdi lump we already have tdi vento as donar car ,this conversion is not beyond my realm as i was the first person to do carry out the electrical side of this job in the uk (grahams tdi split),

so what i ask is the above quote all about can any one enlighten me on this as i am very confused ,yes you mr g60steve

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 22:54

The useless c*nt bit refers to me, have a read here...

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12745& amp;PN=9

There are a few TDI's kicking around, and were before that split came along. Nice job BTW, but not the first.

Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 23:17

Mazz have a look at the pics i posted of the van roof/ bed, is your mates the same as this.

If so it did'nt leave the factory as a RHD westy, unfortunately.

Its a mosaic conversion, still a westy as such but did'nt leave the factory like it.

If it isnt the same then it should have the vin plate stateing the model number, this will prove it one way or the other as it would have had a factory pressed camper roof when it left the factory.

I have one of these mosaic conversion vans and i also fitted a Tdi in it, how bizarre. LOL

Opps nearly forgot, welcome to the yard.

mazz View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 07 at 22:15

Hi there the useless bit makes sense now apart from i dont understand what hydraulic bit you need to stick a 1.9td into a T3 ,As for grahams tdi split we had that running a good year before it went on the road so we are talking 2002  at the time we were struggling to find any one else who had done conversion apart from a few germans and one canadian guy but that was just what we found on th web there may of been others but they kept it to themselves plus we used a mk4 AHF golf lump and loom which is twice as difficult to use as a 1Z conversion which is a very simple conversion by comparison .

waiting to see a PD conversion now but thats a real challenge we read about loads of people who done TDi conversions but when you looked further into it they had used a TDi lump but fitted a mechanical pump which elliminates of the whole point of fitting a TDi

we had a look at roof section today it has white plastic section as red one does but the roof cut out must of been done at the factory as the panel is spotwelded to the original roof and is in factory paint here is a link to the company who imported RHD westys into the ukhttp://www.travelworldrv.co.uk/About.asp

mazz View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 07 at 22:28

checked white sticker and type number is 254 042 plus it has options E86 J15 020 120 187 511 616 731 774 Maybe you can make some sense of this, whatever it is its a rare thing and no matter how you look at it its still a RHD westy what else can you call it ,yes it has no gas tank yes its sparse and yes it has a puny water tank ,i constantly tell my mate to sell it and get a late LHD california as they are a lot more van but he loves his van and would rather shove wasps up his bottom then sell it ,i think

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 07 at 22:38
Originally posted by mazz mazz wrote:

waiting to see a PD conversion now but thats a real challenge we read about loads of people who done TDi conversions but when you looked further into it they had used a TDi lump but fitted a mechanical pump which elliminates of the whole point of fitting a TDi

Not so, go look at all the people who are getting decent power from TDI's, they all seem to go mechanical, I ran one a few years back, it still returned 40 mpg and went like shit off a stick although a little undergeared.

I did mine, dunno when, I have pictures from 2003 of the install, and remember talking to several at Vanfest who had them installed electronically all wired and working.

Even back then Mike from Transporter Parts and Service in Bournemouth had done several.

west20v View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 07 at 23:09

Very true Mazz,

the van ain't going nowhere (its a 1.6NA)

Took some pics today, will post ASAP.

Mr Baxter, got a set of Merc Pentas but need some wheel nuts for rear. Can u help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>