The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRHD westys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RHD westys?
    Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:02

Are they really that rare.  I have just been told that my freind should insure his for £12k, and that it was a brick yard forum member who told him. It's good condition but has some minor bodywork issues around the rear seams, and will require painting in teh next few years to preserve it (but i like my VWs shiney and perfect)

Is this true, or was someone on here a little on the exuberant side.  i would not pay £12k for any T3, as i see them everywhere.

Cheers

Andy

Smile be happy :)
peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:12
Maybe a bit hi at the mo for a camper, even a rare one such as that but for something like a well sorted Oettinger or Porsche engined one i have seen em for round that in Germany too... remember these already are the next big thing so make the most before looney prices kick in! 
Firefighter twisted Firefighter...
Red Leader View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:14
If it was a rare engined one i can understand, but £12k you should keep it in a museum.
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:21

They never came out of the factory as RHD campers, but what they did do was a kit for converting panel vans etc, this was for LHD drive vans.

The upstairs bed is in three parts, campers out of the factory had a two part bed.

The furniture for the kits was also for the LHD van, and it is slightly different to the ones out of the factory.

What some people have done is put the fridge on the other side and moved the relevent furniture to the right side so it looks like it is all RHD.

The way to tell is to look at the side of the fridge furthest away from the drivers seat, it will have a vee in it for where the seat belt retainer went when it was on the left hand side.

But who knows if they ever did do one offs for people.

Edited by Full Throttle
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:27

Westfalia never made RHD campers - FACT.

However, as legend goes there were a few "Mosaic" campers built by a company darn sarf really badly, once Westfalia saw how dire the conversions were they would no sell the company the component parts anymore.

So, no, there are no real factory Wesfalia campers, but there are some munters out there, can't be many left.

Aparently, the numbers were around 20, again, part of the legend.

As for value,dunno, depends on what state it's in.

TBH, I can't for some reason see them being converted from Combis either, and they won't have the right roof section either..

But, I have never seen one, would really like to, just for my own curiosity.

retrosteve View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:38

forget the rhd thing asw mentioned above -its all relative....

i have a prototype oettinger 3.7 ... one of 3... i couldnt replace it for 12k.. nor could i buy a claer porsche motored bus, or even a well sorted vr6 bus for that price.. although they represent the 'obvious high end of t3's ' 

i have seen low mileage atlantic westfalias' for well over 12k , and it certainly wont take much to make a decent california a 12k bus either if you change the wheels, mirrors, side planking and suspension.. it all adds up .. and when you consider a decent california pop top is  becoming big money even on the continent the 12k bus isnt such a rare beast

fortunately there are plenty of westfalia vans for reasonable money...even if the rariety you ponder isnt really an issue or defining factor in the values... its more condition...demand and specification which can effect two apparently similar vans -resulting in two very different prices

you wouldnt pay 12k.. but the vans you see everywhere wont be the 12k examples... bit like the ford gt40 ... i see loads of mondeos,................  

Edited by retrosteve
retrosteve is steve walker ..who also is www.eastfalia.com 01932 873493/ 07974579667- t3 westfalia sales/service/parts... surrey england - koln germany
Red Leader View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:58

Viz told me that it was a factory conversion on a panel van, apparently it was driven back to Germany for it???

I'll see what info he has on it.  i do not have pictures, as it is always parked next to mine, but will see it on Thursday.

Retrosteve i realise that some are different, but what is the oettinger engine like, i 'm currently building one (well Okrassa) for my bug.

retrosteve View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 20:08
Originally posted by Red Leader Red Leader wrote:

Retrosteve i realise that some are different, but what is the oettinger engine like, i 'm currently building one (well Okrassa) for my bug.

the oettinger motor is effectively a 2.1 waserboxer with an extra 2 cylinders..the case/heads /etc cast by oettinger.. or rather as a joint venture between vw and oettinger .. funnily enough when contemplating the new t4 and its possible rear engined format !!! it uses the 2.1 injection system,(obviously modified a tad)and anyone familiar with an injected wasserboxer would recognise many of the componants..  its not a high revving motor, but its very torquey ...

incedentally i have had a bit of okrasa experience.. with very early beetles... and some vans were indeed converted by westfalia at the factory to rhd specifications... 18 i believe..

wether that in itself would make your friends bus worth 12k i wouldnt like to say, however, it would certainly add value if in presentable condition -and sticking my neck out (not too far as the scar may tear )i would say a westy converted rhd would be worth £2500 more than an identical LHD van ... to the right person (ie someone who would not consider a lhd)

Edited by retrosteve
retrosteve is steve walker ..who also is www.eastfalia.com 01932 873493/ 07974579667- t3 westfalia sales/service/parts... surrey england - koln germany
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 20:22

ooooh that "O" word... they should have put a pound sign in the name.. all things oettinger are big bucks..

i know one off imports are posible..

my c reg polo was a "special order" in rhd  simalar to a coupe S polo but with lots of bits that were'nt available in the uk.. its regestered as a polo GT the dvla have only 7 regestered at that age as GT..

vw germany were much more helpfull then, if its real it will be recorded on vw's records..

yes they never "made" or posibly offered should be a better word rhd vans but then thats not to say none were made..

but 12 grand is high.. even on agreed value i think there wouldnt be many insurers that would do it to that value..

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 20:38
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

Westfalia never made RHD campers - FACT.

However, as legend goes there were a few "Mosaic" campers built by a company darn sarf really badly, once Westfalia saw how dire the conversions were they would no sell the company the component parts anymore.

So, no, there are no real factory Wesfalia campers, but there are some munters out there, can't be many left.

Aparently, the numbers were around 20, again, part of the legend.

As for value,dunno, depends on what state it's in.

TBH, I can't for some reason see them being converted from Combis either, and they won't have the right roof section either..

But, I have never seen one, would really like to, just for my own curiosity.

And they won't have the right roof section either.

They do, seeing is believeing. LOL

calvin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 21:25
Hey Mr Baxter - can we have a forum section for Westy variants or campers?

There's a lot of people on here now with these specific models, and there are tech requirements specific to them as well as other interesting info (as above!)

especially since there's a syncro one....

huh, can we?

Please
Ever tried eating a clown? They taste funny.
'89 2.1 Westy California darn sarf, Sussex.
+++ Still looking for good OSR big bumper corner section PLEASE! +++
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 21:38
There was a guy on 80-90 before Xmas with a RHD Westy, posted a load of pics. of the interior etc to show the differences.
Sunny Lancs
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 22:08

Im open to be proved wrong..

calvin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 22:14
...and the forum section idea? 
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 22:16

Can do, give me 5 minutes..

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 22:20

Here's the pics of the one in question.

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 22:23

Forum - done.

Okay, RHD Westies.

Thing is with a Westy pop top, they have a different roof panel unique to Westfalia, If, someone can show me a RHD Westfalia that has the right roof panel, and the type number is 254 then I may be inclined to believe you, but looking at ETKA there is no listing for RHD Campmobile. The only ones I have heard about are the ones converted from vans in this country, so they won't have the correct roof and therefore not a factory conversion.

PROVE ME WRONG!  Im not saying they don't exist, but from what I know they don't. Maybe a hall 33 special or something, dunno but until I see concrete evidence then as far as Im concerned to RHD Westies were not built by VW/Westfalia.

calvin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 22:24
how come it's still got the LHD westy lean!?
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 22:25

Whay does that van above have a add on fog light?

Must also be a bit cramped sleeping in it with the wardrobe on the wrong side!

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 22:26

Originally posted by calvin calvin wrote:

how come it's still got the LHD westy lean!?

It has aswell!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>