Topic ClosedRHD westys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
retrosteve View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:38

forget the rhd thing asw mentioned above -its all relative....

i have a prototype oettinger 3.7 ... one of 3... i couldnt replace it for 12k.. nor could i buy a claer porsche motored bus, or even a well sorted vr6 bus for that price.. although they represent the 'obvious high end of t3's ' 

i have seen low mileage atlantic westfalias' for well over 12k , and it certainly wont take much to make a decent california a 12k bus either if you change the wheels, mirrors, side planking and suspension.. it all adds up .. and when you consider a decent california pop top is  becoming big money even on the continent the 12k bus isnt such a rare beast

fortunately there are plenty of westfalia vans for reasonable money...even if the rariety you ponder isnt really an issue or defining factor in the values... its more condition...demand and specification which can effect two apparently similar vans -resulting in two very different prices

you wouldnt pay 12k.. but the vans you see everywhere wont be the 12k examples... bit like the ford gt40 ... i see loads of mondeos,................  

Edited by retrosteve
retrosteve is steve walker ..who also is www.eastfalia.com 01932 873493/ 07974579667- t3 westfalia sales/service/parts... surrey england - koln germany
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:27

Westfalia never made RHD campers - FACT.

However, as legend goes there were a few "Mosaic" campers built by a company darn sarf really badly, once Westfalia saw how dire the conversions were they would no sell the company the component parts anymore.

So, no, there are no real factory Wesfalia campers, but there are some munters out there, can't be many left.

Aparently, the numbers were around 20, again, part of the legend.

As for value,dunno, depends on what state it's in.

TBH, I can't for some reason see them being converted from Combis either, and they won't have the right roof section either..

But, I have never seen one, would really like to, just for my own curiosity.

Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:21

They never came out of the factory as RHD campers, but what they did do was a kit for converting panel vans etc, this was for LHD drive vans.

The upstairs bed is in three parts, campers out of the factory had a two part bed.

The furniture for the kits was also for the LHD van, and it is slightly different to the ones out of the factory.

What some people have done is put the fridge on the other side and moved the relevent furniture to the right side so it looks like it is all RHD.

The way to tell is to look at the side of the fridge furthest away from the drivers seat, it will have a vee in it for where the seat belt retainer went when it was on the left hand side.

But who knows if they ever did do one offs for people.

Edited by Full Throttle
Red Leader View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:14
If it was a rare engined one i can understand, but £12k you should keep it in a museum.
Smile be happy :)
peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:12
Maybe a bit hi at the mo for a camper, even a rare one such as that but for something like a well sorted Oettinger or Porsche engined one i have seen em for round that in Germany too... remember these already are the next big thing so make the most before looney prices kick in! 
Firefighter twisted Firefighter...
Red Leader View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 19:02

Are they really that rare.  I have just been told that my freind should insure his for £12k, and that it was a brick yard forum member who told him. It's good condition but has some minor bodywork issues around the rear seams, and will require painting in teh next few years to preserve it (but i like my VWs shiney and perfect)

Is this true, or was someone on here a little on the exuberant side.  i would not pay £12k for any T3, as i see them everywhere.

Cheers

Andy

Smile be happy :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567