The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the silver van

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellow cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the silver van
    Posted: 02 Feb 07 at 02:33

I posted this van from a show a few years ago.  I am posting it again only because I feel that it is finally done.   "DONE" of course being a relative term.   At any rate the Trans has all been attended to with 2,3,and 4 all being made taller.  I also removed the rear locking diff. in favor of the Posi (limited slip) then used the plumbing for the driveline de-coupler.  The majority of the time the van runs as a rear drive with posi.  The idea is to have a 4wd with rear bias.  Throttle on oversteer in the snow, gravel, and wet.   I need more power to produce it on dry tarmac.  TSW Hockenhiem R's,  direct fix no adaptors,  225/55r17  Pirelli Allroads(terrible tires).  Audi 200 Turbo Quattro front binders, crossdrilled and vented.  Custom swaybars/  I have the 034 motorsports injector kit installed (great kit for 7A motors).  With the chip and extras I suspect i am around 200 hp.  That might be a little high,  but I say it anyway.  Suspension is finally de-bugged.  For a syncro this is as low as you can go while maintaining good road manners over different road conditions and surfaces.   Its not as low as I would like it believe me.  At any rate. blabber blabber blabber, Any questions , let me know.  I hope you like it....God knows my wife dosen't.

Edited by mellow cat
no, it will never be "finished."
cjtommy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjtommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 07 at 15:16
sshhhh!! can you hear that?
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 07 at 20:17
that looks pretty sweet - how did you manage to get the 16v lump sitting so
low? That is just a normal engine cover yeah?
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 07 at 20:22

Syncro, everything in the engine bay is about 2" lower.

Hence syncro's running AAZ's, GTD's and the like don't need to dick with the engine lid.

monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 07 at 20:57
ah, right oh, forgot about that....
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 07 at 21:11

whats going on in that rear vent?

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Bloodbath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodbath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 07 at 21:24
nice 

mellow cat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellow cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 07 at 22:19

Tee3,  I have the early 7A motor with the factory head.  That header along with the intake manifold make for a lot of surface area to radiate heat.  I have the vent pulling air and running through the intake runners to keep things cool.

Yes, Baxter has it right.  Its funny about the syncro and the 2wd.  From the ground to the motor, the syncro does not have any more clearance.  The chassis is just lifted to accept the trans and drivelined.  But it make for some more space in the motor comp.

Schimke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 07 at 02:36

That looks great Mr. Cat! So I take it you like your limited slip diff.? I'm planning on putting one in mine too.

Did you make your vent scoop? What did you make it out of? I like it.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellow cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 07 at 03:50

I like the limited slip in the dry.   Its pretty cool when you stand on it in a tight corner and will "walk" a little and straighten up you exit line rather than scrub acceleration.  Thats a pretty cool feeling. 

However,  In the wet and  snow in a 2wd configuation they are almost dangerous.   The rear end walks around like it has its own ideas.  When you break traction while throttle on,  your usually find youself in a lot of trouble.  I Used a limited slip for the "syncro setup"  rear bias throttle on oversteer.

If you know someone who has a syncro with a rear locker and a de-coupler,   ask them for a drive on a rainy day.  Use these conditions:  Rear diff locked,  driveline "de-coupled"  and take some "safe faster corners"  Be Careful. This will bind the rear end so; only perform this kind of thing "on the fly"  and only a "few times" to get the point.  Gravel roads are a better option for this test. 

Limited slips work awesome in the sand!  and Dry Tarmac/pavement.  but anything else is a drag.   Snow in a 2wd, limited slip, around corners is pretty sketchy.

Cheers

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellow cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 07 at 04:13

I sholdn't post when I'm loaded. 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellow cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 07 at 04:15

shouldn't....

errrr...

Bluebays View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 07 at 13:11

Azzaaaaaaaa.... View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Azzaaaaaaaa.... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 07 at 22:27
Am I right in saying that the engine is of Audi origin ie 5 cylinder abc block??? I want one of those lumps in my van...!!!
Yea! What ever....!?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellow cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 07 at 02:58
Yes its an Audi engine,  the 7A.   Its a good option,  not great.  It spins well, however no low end.  If I had to do it over again I would use a 10v turbo, or even the 20v turbo. 
retro.james View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retro.james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 07 at 12:50
Hi mellow cat you have pm

james

I'm new round here
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 08 at 23:13

Any updates on this van?

Do you have any more pics of the install etc?

I'd be interested to know what springs you used to lower it with?

Thanks

MG

Post Reply Post Reply