The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westy interior light/radio mod.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 08 at 14:49
Thanks for that.

I'm now looking at back of fuse box. When refering to pin 12, how can i locate this?

ThanksConfused
Atlantic View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 08 at 18:42
I've now taken my first step in auto-elecs and have successfully made this modification.

Many thanks to this forum without which i wouldn't have dreamed of attempting such a thing!

Thanks, Fi
Stoooooo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoooooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 08 at 18:32
Hi All

Just about to start this mod.....any thoughts on the best route for the wire from the leisure batt (behind drivers seat) to fuse box.  There's not really a good route up the door pillar so Im thinking under the carpet and foam underlay - is this OK?  Bit concerned it will be more subject to wear and tear.

Stoooooo
dublicious View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dublicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 08 at 18:50
thats where my goes,  but doesn't mean its right :)  The cable I have used is pretty well insulated and been ok since mod.
Jon_E View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 17:00
Originally posted by Stoooooo Stoooooo wrote:

any thoughts on the best route for the wire from the leisure batt (behind drivers seat) to fuse box.  There's not really a good route up the door pillar so Im thinking under the carpet and foam underlay - is this OK?  Bit concerned it will be more subject to wear and tear.

Stoooooo

What was the general consensus on this route?
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 20:20
Ran mine under the carpet, sandwiched into the underlay with some protection over the top of it. No wear on it as it`s covered.
Sunny Lancs
Stoooooo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoooooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 09 at 11:53
I ran the wire under the carpet and underlay following the edge of the wheel arch then up along the edge of the seat.  I wrapped the wire in insulation tape and gaffa taped it to the floor.

Ive driven and lived in the van every day for the last 3 months (in Spain).  I checked the wiring today and all is well - no wear at all. 

Stoooooo
badger View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 09 at 19:50
Carried out this mod on a westy today, but the wiring at the rear of the fusebox was slightly different. Connected the aux battery supply to the wire from pin 12 of the red plug (only a single wire) which then connected the interior courtesy lighting, the strip lights and the radio to the aux battery, but the cig lighter socket was dead (despite working earlier). I replaced the 15a fuse into position 3 and the cig liter was then live (remember this is with the wire from pin 12 disconnected).
After a little head scratching and looking at the wiring diagram, i discovered an additional supply from pin 11 which feeds direct to the cig lighter. Once this was cut and connected to the aux batt supply, everything worked as it should.
Maybe late van's have a slightly different wiring loom??
1989 Westy California 1.9 AAZ
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 09 at 22:30
Originally posted by badger badger wrote:

Carried out this mod on a westy today, but the wiring at the rear of the fusebox was slightly different. Connected the aux battery supply to the wire from pin 12 of the red plug (only a single wire) which then connected the interior courtesy lighting, the strip lights and the radio to the aux battery, but the cig lighter socket was dead (despite working earlier). I replaced the 15a fuse into position 3 and the cig liter was then live (remember this is with the wire from pin 12 disconnected).
After a little head scratching and looking at the wiring diagram, i discovered an additional supply from pin 11 which feeds direct to the cig lighter. Once this was cut and connected to the aux batt supply, everything worked as it should.
Maybe late van's have a slightly different wiring loom??

That's strange, I came on to post something very similar, I cut the two wires that go to pin 12, connected to the aux battery, only to find the cig lighter dead, again replaced fuse 3 and it's OK again. I'll have a look at pin 11. Cheers.
daviddd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daviddd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 09 at 13:26
Excellent advice Baxter, cheers! I've just connected  the radio and cigar lighter (and interior lights) to my newly-fitted leisure battery system; no problems at all!

Edited by daviddd - 07 Nov 09 at 16:26
'88 T3 Caravelle Surfbus Auto Cool Ice Blue
'92 Scirocco GT11 Auto Flash Red
My circumnavigation of Oz on bicycle: www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com
simoncummins View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoncummins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 23:06
My radio only works with the ignition turned on is this correct, if so is there an easy way round making it work with it off. Thanks Simon C.
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 08:48
Yes, pull the radio out, find the red wire that is only live with the ignition on, cut the wire, tape up the end from the ignition side of things and forget that end, then pick up a 12v live feed  from the fusebox, one that is always live no matter what the ignition is at, there will be a few spare spade terminals at one end of the f`box in a cluster, run a cable from there, through an in-line fuse holder, connect to the wire that you cut to the radio and Roberts your mothers brother Wink
Sunny Lancs
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoncummins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 09 at 21:36
Right gents i've done this mod and all is well except the clock on the radio is always on as there is a constant feed from lb as i have bypased the ignition so it does not have to be on to use radio. It is drawing 0.3 amps so lb wont last that long. Has anyone got away of rectifying this with out putting a switch in the radio feed wire. Thanks Simon C.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 09 at 21:40
 unclip face plate maybe??
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Red Westie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Westie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 09 at 07:45
Trouble is most modern car stereo systems need the permanent live to remember station frequencies. Any constant LCD display should NOT be drawing a third of an amp...this sounds way to high. A solution could be a solar panel of sufficient output to match the small battery discharge.
Martin
shelly
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoncummins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 09 at 13:29
Thanks for you help gents i have taken the front off the radio and now it is drawing 0.01 amps which i guess is the memory. Just have to remember to take it off.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 09 at 16:33
T3's never had an ignition feed for the radio.
So, that current draw you did have, has always been there, just on the starter battery.

I have a 2 position switch, one for camping and one for general driving.
One position lets my headunit get switched on and off via the ignition, I leave it here all the time.
When I go camping I flick it the other way if I want the radio on, that lets me listen without the keys in. that feed is taken from liesure battery.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 09:15
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 09:22
I know I'm shite at spelling too before you start.
That's why I fix cars for a living.
LOL
MacAdiane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacAdiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 09:45
Not a cunning linguist our Simon....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>